GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old June 20th 2004, 07:38
Administrator

"Großes Wochenende"

It was great to see everyone and Great to meet Mikey 72 GL and his Girl friend, thanks for making the trip everyone. A big thanks to Brenden for all the help trying to get my car to the show. I hate I didn't get it done. I hate even worse that I let the Yellow Woody Vert take first place for Super Beetle all years. The trophies were very nice this year, a silver cup (real) on a marble base(real). The Atl folks did a great job pulling it together again this year. I hope everyone had a great time in Hellen, sorry I had to bail. I'm waiting for Slowpoker now to hook-up on the audio system I have had done for his car for weeks. I will get paid a little $$$ for the job and he will finaly have his hidden Retro look sound system.
Kevin Smith took the top honors for early Beetle and Alan Raggsdale took the Ghia class.
I'm realy looking forward to Taccoa now. I think we should do the swap area and camp-out/comedy night/cook-out again. I should be able to come up with some oil lines that will stay on by then .
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 20th 2004, 11:51

yea. was definitely a good time. i am tired and sore though. with all of the tiny car troubles, i was beginning to think someone was trying to tell me that i shouldn't be there, but all worked out well...and the van never even got fire.

after heading out from a fine show (and no_h20, you are on the hook for letting that woody win...wouldn't ahve happened if your car was there ) we went up 400. we allowed the English guy to lead and...well, we still got there. we just took a right turn a little early. it still lead us right into Helen, but not via Blood Mountain. we did hit two small hills though. it worked out for the better considering the cars everyone ended up having to drive. next year we will ALL have our bugs there, no excuses (especially that pansy a/c one).

go-carting was a blast. feeling the pain today though. hopefully the guys will recover from their humiliation i handed them (and the whip lash). was a good long night of racing. 4 races and about 80-100 laps.

lastly...Nigel finally has succumed. we officially have him as our newest VKG member. welcome aboard Nigel.

in my humble opinion this is to be a early ritual. next time we will actually do the mountain run and maybe be able to cram in a visit to Jake's. a Friday night get together would be fun too for those coming early. you guys up for this being a yearly event?

(sorry for the length)

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 20th 2004, 12:25

sounds like you guys had fun...

it sux that I couldnt make it, but I went to the Chiropractor on Friday and my back/shoulder is really out of whack. I dont think muscle relaxers would have cut iit Zen. I have to go again on Monday morning. I really couldnt do anything this weekend. I could barely sleep at night the pain was so constant. Enough about me, glad to hear that it was a great time. Really looking forward to next year. It definitely should be a whole weekend like you suggested.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old June 20th 2004, 12:26

Welcome aboard Nigel :agree:

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old June 20th 2004, 12:32

yea, everyone asked about you joe. sorry you couldn't make it. i will need a chiro after the go-carts.

so here is a bad question...anyone take any pics of the go-carting so i can include them in the newsletter? i have pics of the show and gatherings there, but that is it. bad newsletter guy (Bud commercial going through my head now).

oh...forgot to mention my f(*&ing event t-shirt showed up in the mail on Saturday...after i left.

Old June 20th 2004, 14:10
Administrator

Welcome Nigel, I knew you would be along shortly.
I need some back pain releaf after 4-5 weekends of working on (under) cars.
Hope you get straitened out (pun intended) Joe.
On the hook this
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 20th 2004, 17:12

Sue and I had a blast this weekend. It was good to meet Mike, finally meet Brendan, and see everyone else again. Congrats to Nigel for finally crossing over to the dark side. We're glad to have you with us in the club, and glad you could join us for the weekend.

The show was very nice. Aircooled Addiction has got some awesome looking rides in their club. Kevin Smith's Oval is one sweet ride, and deserved it's award. The food in Helen was excellent. They put my brats to shame, and then some. I enjoyed seeing the town and racing the go-karts was KILLER (as in multiple parts of my pelvis are killing me )

I think Mike, and his girlfriend deserve "Man Up And Drive" honors for rolling to the show in his '72. Thanks for making the long trip to come hang out with us.

I'll see you guys in Taccoa this September.
'83 928S 4.7
Old June 20th 2004, 19:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone
I think Mike, and his girlfriend deserve "Man Up And Drive" honors for rolling to the show in his '72. Thanks for making the long trip to come hang out with us.
here here!!! :agree:

Old June 20th 2004, 20:28

I think he gets the man up and haul award too for cramming all those parts in his car.

I had a great time, didn't even get sun burned on sat. Did a good job dumping parts too! Woo Hoo. Can't wait to get those rims on the 944.

Sorry I missed out on the carting, kids HAD to ride the river.

Truck made it back without throwing a wheel off the front either, yikes! Replaced the shocks before we left on the trip, guess it made is so I could hear the bad ball joints now. I'll take the man up and tow award for the year.
948 project
Old June 20th 2004, 21:03

Thanks for a great weekend and I am glad to be in the club. I enjoyed the show, the trip to Helen, dinner, carting, breakfast and hanging out.
After I left you all today I did a run through the mountains, I went along Richard Russel Scenic Highway and then up to Basstown Bald. - the highest mountain in Georgia at 4,784 feet. My poor bug was about worn out by the time I got to the top it is a steep climb. My brakes were about worn out by the time I got to the bottom.....mmmmm...must be time for some new rear disc brakes!!! We will all have to do it next year (or sooner) it is great drive.
Old June 20th 2004, 22:07

Thumbs up

Well I had a blast all weekend. I was over Daves house on friday trying to get the oil cooler installed. We got the cooler with fans in but the oil kept on coming out of it. I drank my fair share of 10w-40 engine oil while under the car, kinda tastes like chicken. The car show was great even though nobody was selling what I was looking for. I am now red as a lobster since I always forget to use sunblock untill it is too late. It was fun finaly getting to meet the rest of the group in person. Mike had some real "M.U.A.D" spirit for taking his fully loaded beetle through the mountains with all of the steep hills and sharp corners. :agree: Go-karting was fun and I have the bruises to show for it. I had a blast and I think I would have beaten you Zen with another couple of races. Next year lets de-restrict the karts when we show up so we can have even more bruises... I mean fun... I agree lets make this a yearly event.

Glad to have you abord Nigel.

P.S. It only took me 8 hours to get home from the show so the drive isn't really that bad from my house. It would have been 7.5 hours if there wasn't an accident on I-75 50 miles from my exit.

Big thanks to Dave for putting me up for the night and giving me a hot meal. Nothing like eating dinner and watching F-1 racing. Also thanks for the traffic check, I flew through through 475 without a problem. The problem was a broken down truck that was in the break down lane so I kept the car at 80 mph to 90 mph the whole way down.

I had a blast lets do this again.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old June 21st 2004, 00:01
Administrator

Thanks for the help Brendan, Nothing like a hot meal of Brats and 10W40 You are welcome at my place anytime.
I think that Mike should get the Man-Up-N-Drive award for this one. :agree:
I think I might run up to AeriQuip in the morning and see what kind of fittings they have.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 21st 2004, 00:06

Betty made it home with NO problems at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetibone
I think Mike, and his girlfriend deserve "Man Up And Drive" honors for rolling to the show in his '72.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
here here!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelgesen
I think he gets the man up and haul award too for cramming all those parts in his car.
AWW thanks a lot guys, personaly I believe Betty deserves an award, after being rear-ended 3 weeks ago, still driving to GA, and carrying all the parts too. Wish NO problems! I'm glad I got to meet everyone at the show. Finaly put a face with the names I see everyday. Everyone was real nice and I'm glad I am in the club too. Also, Thanks a lot everyone for the great weekend, I can't wait till next year.

The show was okay. it would have been better if there was at least 1 GLer in the show, the drive was good, I'm sure I won't be buying THAT many parts next year, so I'll be more for driveing on windy roads. The go-carts were Great, the food was good.... that's all I can think of right now.

Welcome to the Club Nigel :agree:

btw, Cherri isn't my girlfriend. My girlfriend's name is Farah. I've just known Cherri for a bunch of years and that was her first road trip. Also I took Cherri because my gf lives a little far away, Canada.

Mike

Last edited by Mikey 1972GL; June 21st 2004 at 00:26.
Old June 21st 2004, 00:16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 1972GL
btw, Cherri isn't my girlfriend. My girlfriend's name is Farah. I've just known Cherri for a bunch of years and that was her first road trip. Also I took Cherri because my gf lives a little far away, Canada.
Sorry about the mix-up. It was good to meet Cherri. Glad you had a good trip and found some good parts. Think about coming down for Bug Fair in Sept it was a blast last year and the year before that.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old June 21st 2004, 00:19
Administrator

I had a girl frien named Farah when I was in Jr. High.........No wait........That was a poster in my room.
Just Kidding.
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe