GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old September 18th 2003, 22:19

Feeling Depressed :(

Need some words of encouragement.. Just finished putting my Grandma to rest... Feeling overwhelmed with work, and my project.. My little 78 vert.. which I haven't had a chance to work on for a little while... I have recently rebuilt my calipers off a 944, but that is about it... Do you all get down on the lack of progress on your projects.. I had waited 5 years to get a hold of this car while I was serving in the Marines.. Now that I have it, I can't seem to fulfill my greates dream, of having my own bug..
Sometimes I feel like scapping the project since I know it is going to cost so much and redirecting it to my daily driver (Subie). I knew I was in it for the long haul but with out any friends in the area to lend support it gets rough.. My golden retriever can only do so much.. Felt like blowing some steam as I sit here fustrated on the lack of work or $ that I can throw at my little baby vert..
Thanks
Alex
Old September 19th 2003, 01:37

Alex

I'm sorry about your grandma. It is very hard to day goodbye to someone you care so much about. I always find comfort, though, knowing that they are looking down, proud of whatever I do. Sometimes, that is from being a good parent to the kids, being a good husband, or even taking pride in the skills you have earned building your car. It may seem trivial in the scheme of life, but everyone has a passion, and your loved ones DO take joy in seeing you pursue something. I'm sure your Grandma is proud that you have found that passion and continue to work towards finishing.

While I haven't lost anyone that close to me, I know exactly how you feel when the project isn't going so well. I spent four years in the Air Force, and it seemed my project was standing still. I had a friend where I was stationed who got into VWs because his dad owned a shop back at home, so he supported me and helped me when he could. When I separated, joined the Guard and started college, things picked up, but I still wasn't happy with my progress. Even with my limited income, I am not keeping track of the money I spend, because in my heart, I need to finish.

A wise friend once said, "It's only money, you'll make more." Since then, I do what makes me happy when it comes to money. You never know when that day will come when the money can do no good. If you live comfortably now, and can still afford to do some work on the ol' car, consider yourself lucky, and don't give up the dream. I, for one, am always anxious to see someones finished product, and look forward to seeing yours. Good luck.

And thank you for serving this great country.

My Blog
Please help me get a minimac
Parts I Need
1965 Beetle "Gordie", 1956 GL Beetle

Last edited by bugsoup; September 19th 2003 at 01:47.
Old September 19th 2003, 02:16
Superman

Lightbulb Re: Feeling Depressed :(

Quote:
Originally posted by LOAF
Just finished putting my Grandma to rest... Feeling overwhelmed.... Do you all get down on the lack of progress on your projects.. I had waited 5 years to get a hold of this car while I was serving in the Marines.. Now that I have it, I can't seem to fulfill my greates dream, of having my own bug.. I sit here fustrated on the lack of work or $
Sorry to hear that, my Grand-Maw is 86 and we are doing everything to take care of her so she don't have to go into a nursing home. At 86 she still lives alone and still cooks and cleans for herself, I hope I will be able to do the same.

I too did a tour (Navy) that put my project off for 4 years and there were times that I didn't have the drive to do it but I promised myself at 14 that I would do this project no matter what. It is now 18 years later and I am very close but not there yet... almost like a tease and as you said it's frustrating.

Sometimes it's hard to comprehend that behind every screen name and post on this forum is a real person with real feelings a real family and real life that oh so includes the real problems.

Do what you have to to get by but DO NOT QUIT!!!
Old September 19th 2003, 10:41

Alex, hang in there brother. I know its tough just losing a family member. My Grandma passed away while I was in the Navy, and of course I was out to sea.
My project began when I was 14 also and 13 years later I'm still a long way away from completing it, but now I got an extremely clear vision and I know exactly what I want to do. I might not be working on it as much as I want to, or spending as much as I want to but I am always thinking about my project and one day it will be complete. I'm rambling, peace!

Nick
Old September 19th 2003, 10:54
Superman

Wow Ninja I didn't know that and we have a lot in common except it was my Step Father that died.

Humm, 3 salty dawgs here... any more?
Old September 19th 2003, 11:11

Guys,
Thanks for those warm words of kindness..
I will try to keep my head up, and stay focused.. It will be a long road to the finish... But once you get there the satisfaction must be great..
Thanks again, and see you all at the finish line.. Whenever that is
Alex
Old September 19th 2003, 11:49

Another "salty dog"...

Sorry to hear about your grandmothers death, I did a bruial at sea for my 96 yr. old grandmother a couple of years ago.

I've been in the Coast Guard for 26 years and have 2 more to go before I bag it. My GL has been in the works for 3 years now, it does get frustrating when I don't see much progress. My wife is pissed too... As an E9, I make pretty good $$ but with a wife and 2 teenage daughters, it seems I am still as broke as when I was an E3!

Money is not the sole key to progress, here's a tip to get/keep you going. Make a list of all your subsystems: like engine, trans, brakes, suspension/steering, interior, body. Then fill in with a section under each with things you need to buy to finish that subsection and things you need to do. Some of the things you need to do don't really cost $$ so attack them first. Keep the same list with your crossed off items until it is too ratty to use then print an updated list. By keeping the list with your crossed off items you can see some progress at a glance. It works for me!

Oh yeah, Back to the CG and the "shallow water sailor" jokes you Navy guys are about to crack.... 11 years afloat, 6 of it on a high endurance cutters (378') patroling the Bearing sea and Pacific ocean enforcing fisheries laws. The Marianas Trench aint shallow (7mi deep)!! We weren't gone as long as Navy ships but 90 days is pretty long when you can't unrep! And just remember, YOU could have joined the CG too, and been home more often (as long as you are over 6' tall, so you can wade ashore when your ship sinks!).

ken
Old September 19th 2003, 12:28

Speaking of puddle pirates today is National Talk Like a Pirate Day, www.talklikeapirate.com. I know we have gotten way off topic but hopefully this will cheer up Alex a little.

Nick
Old September 19th 2003, 13:09

You guys know how to cheer someone up..
Being a Marine did not leave much time for family, friends, and hobbies.. Darn OP Tempo.. I know you all can relate... In one form or another.. With the change in winds and the weathe getting nicer there may be hope
I like the idea of the list with subsystems Will try that.. Hopefully I won't attach prices since, that will probably put me back were I started.. I'll keep chugging alone.. I realize I am not the only one... and it seems everyone takes a while to get there dreams on the road.. Nice to know I am not alone..
Thanks
ALex
Old September 19th 2003, 13:54
Superman

Re: Another "salty dog"...

Quote:
Originally posted by kdanie
Oh yeah, Back to the CG and the "shallow water sailor" jokes you Navy guys are about to crack....
Not at all. Team work!

I was an east coast sailor. We would cross the Atlantic and patrol the Med. and Persian Gulf. I wasn't in long, got in - got my college money - and got out.

USS George Washington
CVN - 73 (Air Craft Carrier)
1995-1999
Old September 19th 2003, 14:15

When your gone for 6 month at a pop sometimes the CG doesn't look that bad. I took your advice Ken with the list and my project isn't looking as hopeless now! Thanks!

Nick
USS Carl Vinson
CVN-70
1996-2000 (onboard)
1994-2000 (active enlistment)
Old September 19th 2003, 16:11

sorry to hear of your loss. keep up the work though. you will hate yourself if you don't. baby steps. just do a little each day and break it into pieces. it gets done when it gets done. hit some car shows too. those are always good for a pick me up.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 19th 2003, 17:30
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by zen
baby steps
That made me think about the movie "What about Bob" with Bill Murray. It's really funny, check it out and it will for sure put you in a good mood.
Old September 20th 2003, 01:59

My project is taking longer than I would like, but I can drive it.When money is tight I still try to do little things to improve it and save the costly things for better times. Remember, your project isn't going anywhere.

Ron
Old September 20th 2003, 20:15

None of my grand parents are living now, although I spent a lot of time around my Grandfather when he was getting ill and glad I did. I got to spend some time with him before he died. It's never easy when it happens. We played a family string quartet at his funeral, if there's one time when I've found it hard to play the cello and not get emotional, that was it.

My Oval is still sat on axle stands where it's been for... er... must be atleast a year now. I'm still trying to find time to build a chassis for it but being on the other side of the atlantic really doesn't help right now. Still, once I get back to England in November, my folks have recently had a double garage build at the top of the back garden, so I should have some room to get started now.

Keep your head up, don't let the buggers grind you down.

Mike Ghia

Performanceghia is still alive and kicking...