GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 9th 2010, 20:31

Strut question for 74 super

Hi guy's I am new to this site and just about to start my new project and had a few questions about strut choices for my 74 super .
I am looking at toplines maxx and maxx xtreme struts and wanted to know if anybody has experience with the xtreme version they offer . I talked with them about this choice over the regular maxx struts and they recommended using kyb gr2 inserts which will give a nice firm ride and work well with this strut , the big drawback as I understand is the spring rate is a little stiffer then the regular maxx strut { 80 lbs. as opposed to 65 lbs } and the adjuster set up can collect road grime and make it a little tough for adjustment after time. This car will not be a daily driver and probably will not see much if any bad weather .
Any other affordable recommendations would be considered
Thanks
Old May 10th 2010, 04:48

im in the same boat as you... I am contemplating going with the maxx extreme, i think since yours wont be a daily driver you will not mind the stiffer spring rate as you will get better performance, what i am consider doing is making a neoprene (or similar material) sleeve to go over the threaded part... I have a couple ideas i am pretty sure that will work, if they do and you want i will pm you with what i end up doing
Old May 11th 2010, 06:39

I assume that the Maxx Extreme struts have threaded platform tubes plus 2 1/4" springs. the adjustable platform type are desireable on two fronts - 1) adjustable ride height and 2) large selection of alternative spring rates. I am surprised that the Maxx struts have 65lb/in springs as the standard springs are 80lb/in and the general concensus (here at least) is that the stiffness needs increasing for fast road and track use. I reckon on 100lb/in springs for fast road use and others use higher rates for more competition bias. As regards the Maxx Extreme struts for daily use relating to their maintenance it depends on your own maintenance regime. I would have no trouble keeping them working even though I would do around 10,000mls/yr. If however you require a fit and forget system then get your spring rate and length sorted first and use a fixed platform strut.

Clive
Old May 12th 2010, 20:33

Thanks for the reply's , I think I am going to go with the maxx xtreme's . I can't see it being a big deal to keeping the strut body clean and I like the idea of adjustability . Like I said before this car will rarely see any bad weather and the firmer ride won't bother me as this is not my daily driver .

John
Old May 12th 2010, 20:47

Hey John,

I have a set of Koni Coilovers on my Golf. I cover the threaded bodies with grease and the threads stay protected from the road grime. A liitle brake clean to wash the threads, and the rings move easily up/down when needed.

Pete
Old May 12th 2010, 21:52

John!

Good to see you aboard! I know you're super will be super duper
I can't offer any strut advice, when it comes to cars I don't touch the fat chicks ( no comments from the peanut gallery on how my '70 is a fatty!)

Cheers,

Alex Barrie
Old May 21st 2010, 12:05

Hi, I have the maxx struts and have emailed Topline to get the definitive spring rate for these. I thought they were around 65-70lbs.

In autocross, what will be the effect of being undersprung in the front? Since the maxx strut is adjustable I could swap springs if needed. Car will see 90% street.

The car rides nice and smooth on the street but haven't had it on the course yet to really push it. So far it seems like it might understeer a bit but I'll deal with that when I get on the track.

Mike
Old May 21st 2010, 14:26

Just heard from Jon at Topline, Maxx springs are 71.5 lbs/inch

They tested the stock springs at 60-65 lbs/inch.

One other note is in the 3-400 miles I've had my struts installed the ride height has sagged over an inch, I'm now at the top spring perch position, could probably use another 1/2" height since our roads are so brutal.
Old June 17th 2010, 09:44

Sbeetle, also be aware that the eyelets are all standard size, not metric..

I just emailed them yesterday and they confirmed no metric sizes..

Maynot be an issue for you.. so just an FYI
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463