GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old September 10th 2002, 21:25
Administrator

Question Porsche shrouds for Type 4's

Howdy,

As you may be able to tell from all of the type 4 posts I'm posting, I'm almost ready to aquire the used engine I have been looking for.

Its a 914 2.0L that is in running condition. I've also secured a NEW type 4 case (Thanks Alex !) that I will most likely use for a 2270cc upgrade. Now the questions !!

Can I use a Porsche shroud on the stock 914 2.0 ? I really like the look of the shroud and fan and I can't afford both the DTM and the Porsche shroud. The goal is to use the porsche shroud on the 2.0 for about 2 years until I collect the parts for the 2270. I then want to use the porsche shroud on the new case for the 2270.

What sizes to the fans come in ? I've heard of 5, 11 and 12 blade fans....can I use the 5 blade fan with the porsche shroud so I don't overcool the engine ?

I really like the fit of the shroud from PTP in the engine gallery ( Black shroud, polished fan). Oliver, what size of fan do I need for that setup of yours. What machining of the case needs to be done to fit that setup ?

Has anyone ever used this shroud ? http://store.cip1.com/Merchant2/merc...de=02-06-01-02

I'm really hungry for information so any info that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sandeep
Old September 11th 2002, 17:41

I have the CIP shroud. The shroud is ok, the rest of the parts are not very high quality. The instructions SUCK!! If you are not really mechanicaly inclined and can sort things out, you should go with a better kit like CSP/BAS or Sharpbuilt. The 5 and 11 blade fans interchange but I am pretty sure the 12 blade fan (the cool fan with the swept blades) is larger in diameter. The machine work on the case is the hard part to get done right. CIP is of little help with problems, you get what you pay for. I know 4speed on the STF eurolook forum has used the CIP shroud on 2 engines with success. I have an 11 blade fan for my 2.0L, I set my compression at 10-1 and I have a Fat Performace pulley that is the same size as the Alt. pulley (1-1) so I hope it doesn't over cool in the winter. I have used reduction pulleys on water cooled engines before, they can cause charging problems, usually at night when idleing (lights on).
ken
Old September 13th 2002, 15:43
Administrator

Thumbs up

I really like the looks of the porsche fan so I want to go with that setup. I want this shroud to carry over to my future type 4...I will eventually turn this car into a GT4 Class racer (2 to 3 years).

Sandeep
Old September 13th 2002, 21:23

Well, there goes the neighborhood... Jake's here

Now we'll have some awesome input. Nice to see you here!

And why the hell is my post coming in BEFORE Jake's?

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old September 14th 2002, 02:20

Buy a DTM, it'll keep the engine just as cool, and is cheaper/easier to work with...
Old September 14th 2002, 04:18
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Talking ....

If so, the easiest to handle with, is the original Type 1 conversion, build by Eurorace, copied by Custom & Speed Parts, works as fine, is supercheap, easy to handle, but it looks as ugly (sorry, it's just my opinion) as all the other conversions, that are working with Type 1 fans. Porsche fans do look way nicer and there are more than a few tests done with the airflow of Porsche fans, even the standard unit with 11 blades, flows in 260mm diameter more than triple the air of a 1,6l Type 1 fan, there comes another question to my mind. Could it be, that a Porsche fan can freeze the cylinders?
Old September 14th 2002, 21:06

TIV engines have 23% more cooling fins, that means a fan producing 23% less efficiency can still keep the engine plenty cool and does NOT back all the HP up in the shroud.

I 'm almost finished with dyno testing 10 engines with 3 cooling systems each, when I'm finished and provide the researcher with his information I will post some of the findings.....

I'll put it to you this way, every engine had atleast 9:1 , after this I doubt you will be seeing a single 911 shrouded engine leave my shop, it's just not needed, even at 11.5:1 and pump gas!
Old September 14th 2002, 21:45

A while ago you posted on the STF that you dynoed an engine with a Porsche fan shroud with and without the belt and you said that the HP loss was not as big as everybody was saying.

http://shoptalkforums.com/bbs/NonCGI...ML/001999.html

I wonder how much HP the DTM uses.

Alex
Old September 14th 2002, 22:45

It is dependant upon which shroud is used, and even the year of Porsche alternator/fan and their drive ratios.

The DTM pulls 8-11HP almost consistantly.

I'm doing product testing for a new shroud manufactirer (not even been talked about in public yet) so the work is very accurate
Old September 15th 2002, 11:27
Administrator

Thumbs up New manufacturer ?

Cool,

I will wait to make a decision on the shroud until more details are available.

Sandeep
Old September 15th 2002, 11:33

ZThese shrouds are not going to be sold to the public, they are under contract for only one application........Sorry,
Old September 15th 2002, 11:40

Jake

How much longer will you be selling the Porsche shrouded motors? I will finally have no car payments by the end of this year, so that $400+ per month can now be put away (in the bank) towards one of your motors. I was hoping to get one in about a year from now (less time hopefully if I have a good year).

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 15th 2002, 11:43

I have orders for 3 shrouds from my maker now, when those are gone I probably won't be doing any more with the 911 fan. we should get started if you want one of these engines.
Old September 15th 2002, 11:53

Jake, whats the reason for discontinuing use of the Porsche shroud?

Is it the overcooling problem?
Does this happen on the D version of the 2270?

thanks

Joe

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 15th 2002, 12:04

Basically, they are un needed. I cooled a 2270 D version last week with a DTM.

I get tired of all the hassles with finding fan assemblies that are worth using, since the only kits I believe in use the Genuine Porsche assembly.

It adds 1 solid day onto the engine build time, to gain nothing but looks, which should not even bhe considered when building an engine...

What it does is
Cost alot
pulls power from the engine
cost me time
CAN overcool
takes the simplicity away fro m the engine

All that for a look, engines arenot for looks, go look at a Ferrari engine, you will be surprised at how bland they look, engines that do their job make up for the look with their performance.