GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 31st 2002, 06:38

Wasserboxer bits

Hi Oliver

Glad you got back safe. I saw another post asking about Wasserboxer parts. Do you sell any bigger or forged pistons for the 2.1 wasserboxer.

Steve C
Old October 31st 2002, 11:24
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

At the moment, there are only aircooled versions available here through an airplane firm, maybe JE is still available with 97mm & 98mm, even 96mm is on the safe side with original cylinders. The same airplane firm produces a new series of cranks for a good amount, not too expensive, maybe in the 800,00 $ area with a lift of 82mm. You can run them together with the low compression pistons of the last build Busses -91, they have 8,5:1 and with 2,3l around 10,0:1, if you won't rework the combustion chamber.
There's enough possible, just tell me what you are exactly interested in.
Old November 4th 2002, 09:52

Hi Steve,

We've been contacted by a few wasserboxer users interested in a big bore kit, and we are thinking of offering aluminum cylinders with nikasil plating and some of our Ultra-squish pistons, but I'm still trying to get some feedback as to how much demand there might be for such an upgrade. What's everyone's take on this?

Take care,

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance

Last edited by cnavarro; November 5th 2002 at 23:25.
Old November 5th 2002, 18:25

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking about a just a small increase to 96 mm bore = 2215 cc. I could probably get away with boring the stock cylinders. The biggest problem I have found in finding alternative piston is that the WBX has the combustion chamber in the piston, all the aftermarket pistons I have seen have a very shallow pocket in the piston, so to get the correct compression ratio I would need run a very low deck height, not ideal.
Im not sure how big you can bore the case but Im sure you could easliy go out to 100 mm. A friend of mine is running an Oxyboxer with 4 inch chevy pistons.

Steve C
Old November 5th 2002, 22:41

Im not sure how big you can bore the case but Im sure you could easliy go out to 100 mm. A friend of mine is running an Oxyboxer with 4 inch chevy pistons.

Sorry about that...I wasn't clear enough with the question I was trying to get across. I know that there have been 100+ mm big bore conversions, but I was trying to convey my interest in understanding the prevailing opinions concerning big bore kits for the wasserboxer.

A while back we had an individual contact us who posed an interesting point that an aluminum cylindered wasserboxer would greatly improve the inherent expansion that leads to water leaks by making the longblock 100% aluminum. Our flexibility in manufacturing these big bore kits would allow us to offer a multitude of bore sizes, from mild to wild.

As far as piston selection for use in a big bore application, you might want to look at some of the Keith Black offerings to see if there are any compatible pistons. As a matter of fact, we can design a custom piston and have it made up for most any application and typically no two sets of pistons are the same since we tailor each sets to our customer exact needs and desires.

Take care,

Charles Navarro
LN Engineering
http://www.LNengineering.com
Aircooled Precision Performance