GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 10th 2006, 23:34

Cam,

Nice to hear you are up to....if I can help with anything else let me know.

Regarding the lines.
Oil cooler: I use a full flow pump cover: There are two nipples, one to the oil cooler then from the oil cooler to the other nipple. I'm not sure how people do it when running the lines from the case itself. Another option is to use the relocator that goes in the place of the original oil cooler (my car simply has a bypass cover type of thing there)

Turbo: You run a line from the oil pressure sender hole (using something that allows you to use both a nipple for the oil supply for the turbo - steel braided line and have a place to put the oil light switch). Back from the turbo, you can dump it anywhere as long as it is lower than the turbo, since it fall back by gravity (it is important the the line does not allow to form a puddle anywhere - do you know what I mean?) - some people dump it on the place where the original fuel pump used to be or on one of the valve covers....

I don't have pictures, but I hope I helped.....

Regards,
Marcelo
Old May 12th 2006, 13:29

So 1500SBR your saying that we need to keep every thing hot out of the engine compartment and put the turbo in front of the engine, how do you mount that? the header must be tricky, and would you have any issues withe the rear luggage tray and the heat? i'd rather keep the turbo next to the engine where it is easier to get at
Old May 12th 2006, 14:36

VWDMC,

Yeah it is a tricky header, one which I haven't seen made as an actual kit. Here we have a lot of custom exhaust shops and the one I use has developed this system where the turbo sits right above the left axle. There is a little bit of cutting and fitting. To make space for the turbo in that location. I mentioned it is a nicer location because it does keep the heat out of the bay.

I included a few pictures so you guys have an idea.
Regards,
Marcelo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg street strip.jpg (29.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg turbo above axle rear.jpg (39.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg turbo above axle.jpg (49.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg turbo high mount2.jpg (49.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg turbo high mount.jpg (43.2 KB, 88 views)
Old May 12th 2006, 14:42

Picture of the trick manifold.....

Let me know what you guys think...

Take care
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turbo manifold above axle.jpg (34.6 KB, 95 views)
Old May 14th 2006, 22:57

you guys don't have any issues with the #3 exhaust pipe being so short and all unequal? and where does the external oil cooler go, 'cause usually us americans put it where that turbo is
Old May 15th 2006, 11:27

No issue with the short 3rd cylinder (it is all under pressure anyhow). It does create some difference while you are off boost (theoretically - but unoticeable on lesser than extreme performance applications). If you still feel this is something you would like to fix. You can always re-route the 3rd cylinder tube.

The oil cooler will still fit next to the trasmission (I don't know wxactly how you guys mount it, but there is enough room for a 72 pass) or you can move it to the other side of the car. The header can also be made to mount the turbo on the right side.

Also, I haven't seen one, but I've taken measured and I'm sure you can make it fit. You run the oil cooler on one side and the charge cooler on the other side....

But you didn't tell me what you thought about the headers and all. Cool, not cool, crappy....I think this way to position the turbo is awesome, no comparison to the other methods...

Regards,
Marcelo
Old May 15th 2006, 22:09

I like the idea of the turbo over the gearbox, however I was planning to mount mine behind the rear apron (behind the motor, under the tinware). I have seen a few VW's with this set-up and cant imagine the oil return should be too much of a problem, especially since its so close to the where the case is full flowed that the pressure should be there to stop the oil pooling. Be interested to hear if anyone has had experience mounting the turbo in the position.