GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old December 20th 2011, 19:41

Bonze Main Bearings

Hi, does anyone know anyone making Bronze main bearing for the type IV engine?
Old December 26th 2011, 14:50

There was a post on the cal-look.com forum where lowbugget.com was suppose to do some for the t1 engine and then t4 but i don't know what became of those plans.
Old December 26th 2011, 23:47

Low Budget

Hi, I some time ago, called low budget. They himmed and hawed around about answering the question on the type IV main beraing. Maybe stock, but way down the road for custom sizes. I believe my case is 20 over. In my heart of heart, I feel that bronze bearing is the way to go. Man pople continue to not want to get the type IV up and runnig. I do like the Subie, but a 3 liter turbo bug is my main quest. Jorge at EMS also stated that they were working on a type IV bronze bearing, but again stock first, bummer
Old December 27th 2011, 17:52

Well if George at EMS can make the bronze bearings in standard i will be glad as my case is standard. Also i was on the ultimateaircooled forums when Low bugget said they were going to make some and Dominic said he had some made when he was drag racing and that they were the best bearing he has ever had.

God i do hope someone makes some because i would really love some good bearings to use.
Old December 27th 2011, 23:29

I hear you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug View Post
Well if George at EMS can make the bronze bearings in standard i will be glad as my case is standard. Also i was on the ultimateaircooled forums when Low bugget said they were going to make some and Dominic said he had some made when he was drag racing and that they were the best bearing he has ever had.

God i do hope someone makes some because i would really love some good bearings to use.
Well, the bornze bearings should not be that much of a problem. They have spec's. Its slow coming around, presently I'm waiting on upgraded 356 styled lifters and a set of Puater rockers and I will have everything I need for my 3 liter. I believe it was Dominic at low bugget that I spoke with, could be wrong but I think it was him about 4 months ago. If you hear anything, please remember me and send me a message and I'll do the same
Old December 27th 2011, 23:41

For your 3ltr engine which liners will you be using
Old December 28th 2011, 12:25

My own

Hi, I had a good friend share the spec's on his ottinger cylinder. I wanted to have made some of my own using the spec's. However finding a tried and true Aluminum was imposible, and having that meterial receive coating of Nickisil. My last effort was 6061-T685 I believe. The T685 I guessing on, but in my storeage I have the certifacate of the type of Alum. I do need to have them cryoed and coated.

I don't know how well the cylinders will hold up, but I think they will do just fine after the coating is applied.
Old January 24th 2012, 06:18

How is everything, did you hear anything on the bronze bearings.
Old January 24th 2012, 19:28

Bearings

Well, every body says they have someone that are making them and are just aroud the corner from bringing them to market. I'm tired of waiting, it looks like everyone it testing the waters by seeing if there is a need. I contacted National Bronze today, the guy was not to much help. National Bronze says per their website they can make anything. I don't know what I'm doing when choosing metals. Jorge at EMW says his guy is testing, but that's on stock sizes. Who has stock size when going high performance? I even had the bushing install into my case for the 356 lifters but EMW don't have them, John at aircooled .net only has two. I'm bating really good today. The three liter was supposed to be on the back burner. I have a 2110 type one I need to put together and sell and even a 2332 type one also. I need to get the 2110 home and start putting it together. I still need rocker arm, lifters, through bolts for the type IV engine.

I can't wait to get behind this!

I'm not sure if the number two will have a 2332 type one or maybe a 2.5 type IV with 1.7 heads. Do you know someone making the main bearings?
Old January 24th 2012, 20:24

I have 3 engines to build a t1 2ltr something a t4 2056cc or 2316 maybe a 2.7ltr then finally a 2.1ltr waterboxer. These guys need to get off their asses and do what they are doing who
cares what the other is doing, we need quality bearings.
Old January 25th 2012, 23:06

Quote:
I have 3 engines to build a t1 2ltr something a t4 2056cc or 2316 maybe a 2.7ltr then finally a 2.1ltr waterboxer. These guys need to get off their asses and do what they are doing who
cares what the other is doing, we need quality bearings.

I would like to have bronze bearings. I had to have the main bearing modded due to the oil squirters. Since the oil squirter are not standard on the type IV main bearings, the machinst kind of bucthed the main bearings creating the offset hole.
Old January 27th 2012, 04:39

Hi effvee

So that it's clear, EMW is having only the thrust bearings made in bronze, not complete sets.

And I believe Engine Plus carries the 356 style lifters for the Type lV...
Old January 27th 2012, 05:54

Ah! so this is the center main then. I do hope that they will be made with the correct crush. Who knows maybe later they will produce an entire set.
Old January 28th 2012, 00:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type4Unleashed View Post
Hi effvee

So that it's clear, EMW is having only the thrust bearings made in bronze, not complete sets.

And I believe Engine Plus carries the 356 style lifters for the Type lV...
Hay Richard, I put off to long the 356 lifters money problems () no one seems to have them in the states. I hope you have not forgot me and Engine Plus. I have a machinst friend that will try and make me a complete set. I have a stock .020 over set in regular meterial. What I need is a good choice in Bonze alloy. I was looking for Beryillum, but I have learned that is copper. Richard, do you know of any Bonze that will make a good set of bearings?

My machinst made these for me with ease on a regular lath.
If I can get my hands on a good set of 356 lifters can your guy laser them for me? Stay in touch, good to hear from you.
Old January 28th 2012, 00:51

Quote:
Ah! so this is the center main then. I do hope that they will be made with the correct crush. Who knows maybe later they will produce an entire set.
No, the thrust bearings on the Type lV are on the flywheel end and are where the end play is set between the flywheel and bearing with flywheel shims, the center mains are already steel backed so no need to do those in bronze, center thrust are installed on Type 1 motors when flanged cranks are used.

But you have to be careful now, the I think it's Mahle bearings that have been coming out for the Type lV are no longer steel back center mains.

It's not only the correct crush, but the materials expansion rates, a bronze thrust bearing was made and the wrong combination of materials were used and the bearing expanded too much and sized on the crank.

So it's a matter of finding the right combination of materials to get the correct expansion rate. For example valve guides are made of bronze, actually silicon bronze.