GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old March 8th 2004, 02:53

SE Dyno Day & Silver Dolar Showdown

I just got back from my weekend trip to Georgia with Brendan (boygenius) and the other VKG guys that could make it up there too (Zen, NoH2o, Kenfyoozed, SpeedDreamer, and GoFastInc.) and I cant forget Charles from L&N Engineering too.

Friday we left Daytona Beach, Florida around 1pm. We met up with my friend Bill from Deland and then Patrick from Miami, and later on around 3pm we met up with Kip from Bradenton who was driving a 51 Cal Look Split window with 16" Fuchs and an 1835. Once we got near Atlanta we split off from the car group to go meet up at Zen's house. The rest of the group went to the hotel to get some much needed rest before the Dyno Day on Saturday.

Friday night, we got up to Zen's house to drop off some much needed rear brakes around 10pm. The brakes needed some spacers to be installed correctly so Neil had to use a grinding wheel to open up some washers because we didnt have any large enough. So once the brakes were installed, the clutch was adjusted and off we went to our hotel at 2am.

Saturday we went to the SE Dyno Day held at ALL Speed in Peach Tree City, GA. It rained in the morning and it looked like it was going to be a crappy day. But then by 11am the sun came out and it turned out rather well. The All Speed facility was large & modern. Their crew dyno'd VWs from 10am to about 5pm on Saturday. There were some impressive numbers produced by these little aircooled vehicles. There were burnouts in the parking lot and VWs going fast down the backroads of Georgia. You could hear the sound of stingers screaming all day. Horsepower was in the air. The BK Cruisers did a smack up job hosting this event and really did a great job of putting it all together. I was really impressed by the turnout and how well it was run. I would definitely recommend that you take some time off work and make a trip up there to the next one they have this event whenever that may be. :agree:

Sunday we went to the Silver Dolar Showdown held in Reynolds, GA. It turned out to be a really hot & sunny day after being so cold the night before. There was an impressive number of VW Drag cars that turned out for this first time event from all over the South East. It just goes to show that high performance VW's arent going anywhere anytime soon. It was really great seeing some of the cars I usually see sitting in the show coral, going down the track too. The show cars showed up also, both air & water cooled were represented. There was also a swap meet with new & used parts vendors. For this only being the first year of this show, the turnout was really impressive. I think that both Kathy & Keith (SEVWC & SEVWA) both deserve our support & respect for all there hard work & dedication to the aircooled VW scene. Make sure you go check it out next year, you wont be disappointed.

All in all, a great time was had by all. I wish to thank all those responsible for these two great events. I am sure you brought smiles to many faces this past weekend. For once, I felt like the SouthEast got a taste of what it would be like to live in Orange County, California.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback

Last edited by vujade; March 8th 2004 at 02:56.
Old March 8th 2004, 03:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujade

Friday night, we got up to Zen's house to drop off some much needed rear brakes around 10pm. The brakes needed some spacers to be installed correctly so Neil had to use a grinding wheel to open up some washers because we didnt have any large enough. So once the brakes were installed, the clutch was adjusted and off we went to our hotel at 2am.

Don't you mean rear shocks...

The trickest set of rear shocks in the world.

What are you doing up this late...
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old March 8th 2004, 08:49

i thought they were shocks too, maybe i was just to tired to see they were brakes. lol :righton: well we did what we could, we couldnt see the lifter prob. good weekend . man im tired.

neil
Old March 8th 2004, 09:23
Administrator

I think he ment take a break.
It was a great weekend with highs and lows. But that is life. Zens car is an animal. And he has big b@lls to take it out for the first run in the rain.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 8th 2004, 10:39

This weekend was the first time that I saw Zens car in person and all I can say is wow. :righton:

I think next time I will put on some sunblock before I get burned to a crisp... I haven't left my garage in a while and I was a little pale.

All that being said I had a great time and now I'm all pumped up to work on my car. Eight months and counting down...
Old March 8th 2004, 11:39

woops, I meant shocks....lol

I guess my brain wasnt functioning to well at 2am after a really long weekend.

Old March 8th 2004, 21:49

it was a great weekend indeed. even if it was shorter for me. it was great to hangout and have some extra hands on the car. a great example of what a club is about. you guys are great. i'm already mapping out the next shows i will make with it. have some more mods to go and maybe one more change to the engine. we will see.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 11th 2004, 01:03

Unhappy Is the VKG curse over

My car was found and is now back home!!!! FYI: As I told some of the members that were present at dyno day, my car was stolen out of my garage exactly 49 days ago. Along with a set of Porsche Boxster rims/tires and other various parts and tools. The low down sorry @## mother$&%&^% also took items out of my home, several of my 13 month old son toys, two vcrs, a thirty inch tv, my telephones and a microwave. From the looks of things my own car was as an additional get away car. I have also been informed that my house was one of the six hit that weekend all within a 10 mile radius using basically the same MO. Two other stolen cars were also found in the same Walmart parking lot, with my car.
I'm down but not out. My GL lives.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old March 11th 2004, 03:47

that sux Tony. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.
Btw, I will get with you about those Kerschers soon.

Old March 11th 2004, 09:05

cant keep a good thing down for long, can you. stinking thieves

neil
Old March 11th 2004, 09:08
Administrator

Was it in good shape? Did you recover the wheels or any your the other stuff from the house?
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old March 11th 2004, 11:07

you are ahead of most in that it was even found. what dave said...what kind of shape was everything in?

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old March 11th 2004, 21:11

They should all be shot.

I hate theives....

Glad you at least got your car back...
Old March 16th 2004, 11:31

Wink A new beginning for Speed Dreamer

Thanks for all the support guys. No other items taken were recovered. After careful inspection, the car is no longer in any condition that I want to use as the foundation for my GL. They removed the complete top. They cut wires and removed the whole fuse box. The thieves removed all the stock interior (two blue carbeau cr1's in storage at a friends house )they were apparently going to attempt to switch the numbers on my car, or were trying to make sure the authorities had no idea who the car belong to. All four of my stock number plates were removed or destroyed. The dash, under the hood, door, and stamp in pan the was grinded down then painted over. The front end is damaged underneath, as if they ran over the sidewalk or jumped some train tracks. One of the rear trailing arms is bent.

They did leave me a good motor and transmission, a practically brand new looking unblemished dash, my old trusty hurst shifter, and four brand new tires on stock rims.

A new beginning for Speed Dreamer:

During the time my car was gone and with me having no hope of ever finding it again I found and bought a 1974 1303 in excellent condition. I also came across a 1974 1303 wreck parts car. The parts car came with good stock rims and tire, a transmission, new glass rubber, new floor pans and a aftermarket front windshield with built in blue faded dark to light sunvisor tint, and most importantly a factory sunroof that I will tranplant into the other 74 1303 all for $200.00.

Now out with the old:

FOR SALE PARTING OUT A 1977 1303 CONVERTIBLE. LET ME KNOW BY EMAIL WHAT PART(S) YOU NEED?

DOORS, GLASS, FENDERS, HOOD, DECKLID, MIRRORS, SUSPENSION R&P, etc.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old March 16th 2004, 13:21

that sux man.

at least you got to salvage some of your stuff off the car.

you will prevail again