GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 27th 2007, 04:40

911 -> Ghia

Hi, I would like to contact people who know about or who have experience with porsche 911 engine/suspension installation into a karmann ghia. I am thinking of an older or detuned model, not to the extreme of the Bader car. I'm asking here because I am hoping to find people more receptive to such ideas.
Things I know so far - the engine and 915 gearbox can fit under the body, the track and wheelbase are in the right ballpark.

Things I also know - it's expensive, there are more efficient ways to get lots of power, why cut up a ghia, just because it's aircooled doesn't mean it resembles a bug engine, the engine is relatively expensive to maintain, handling problems caused by putting two more big heavy cylinders out behind the rear wheels, the fabrication is complicated. So, I don't need to hear that again :-) It's not about maximum power or ease, it's about doing something cool (at least, to my taste). I've got the money, time, and can do the fabrication work.

Anyone know what a rear clip from a written off 993 goes for? Probably out of my range.

Thanks, if you can provide me with any pointers, experiences, contacts, I'd really appreciate it.
Old February 27th 2007, 04:56

If you're getting an 'older, detuned' 911 engine, why use a 915 tranny? The stock 1600 trans can hold quit a lot if you avoid wheel hop..
With a flywheel from a 2,0 911, it'll even fit rather easy to the bug tranny as well
And yes, it is cool!
Old February 27th 2007, 06:15

Well, the reasons for the gearbox - it's heavier, it adds some weight low down forward of the rear wheels to compensate a bit for the weight of the engine, 5 speeds, closer ratios, I need a new gearbox to at least get rid of the swing axles, and I'd like synchro on first, which would mean getting a new box too. I think also, the 915 gearbox is the easy part :-) Just some brackets and a little shifter modification. I'd have to pay out to get a good 4 synchro IRS type 1 box, might as well spend the little bit extra.
Thanks.