GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old May 21st 2006, 12:19

questions about super beetle

I've sold my type 3 squareback and I'm looking at getting one to do a German Looker.

My question is about the windshield. I've seen some supers where the windshield is flat and some that are curved. Some even look more curved than others. Or are all curved windshields the same and it just looks more curved.

What year would be the best one to get to have the most curve in the windshield?

any information is greatly apperciated.

Thanks

Super wanted

If it ain't steel, it ain't real
Old May 21st 2006, 13:06

By model year, flat-screened Supers were 1971-72. The curved windscreened Supers (1973-75 sedan, 1973-79 convertible) were all the same except the convertible's are reported to be thicker.

Are you planning to incorporate a curved windshield into a Squareback? If so, WOW! You definitely have to keep us updated on that.
Old May 21st 2006, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Are you planning to incorporate a curved windshield into a Squareback? If so, WOW! You definitely have to keep us updated on that.
Nope I sold the squareback. Decided to do a GL beetle.

But a curved window in a squareback would be something to see.

Is there any specific year I should look for.

Super wanted

Old May 22nd 2006, 02:34

Since you like the Curve i persoanlly say the Early to mid 73. It has the Curve windsheild, 3 bolt struts, and thin bumper mount slots.
Old May 22nd 2006, 03:22

alt+f4 is correct in what makes an early '73 stand out from its curved windshield cousins.

Some people prefer the '75 because it has rack and pinion steering. Interestingly, the Supers with r&p have a slightly worse turning radius than the steering box Supers.

Any of the identifying differences can be addressed after purchasing the car. It is easier to change the fenders, bumpers, struts and the anscillary parts if necessary than to convert a steering box Super to a r&p one. But that can be done, too.

So, early '73 or '75 are the two best choices. You have to determine what is better for you.
Old May 22nd 2006, 04:50

I'd go for a later one to get the rack and pinion but also the 2 bolt struts, makes getting Porsche bits on much easier..
Rich
Old May 22nd 2006, 09:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola
I'd go for a later one to get the rack and pinion but also the 2 bolt struts, makes getting Porsche bits on much easier..
Rich
that's good to know Ricola.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt+f4
Since you like the Curve i personally say the Early to mid 73. It has the Curve windsheild, 3 bolt struts, and thin bumper mount slots.
I am going to be looking for a '73 then. I also like the tight turning of my RHD standard beetle, so I guess I'll stay way from the R&P.

awsome information :agree: :agree:

Super wanted

Old May 22nd 2006, 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL-Aussielooker
I also like the tight turning of my RHD standard beetle, so I guess I'll stay way from the R&P.
Just to be clear, all Super Beetles have a better turning radius than standard Beetles -- by a fairly significant amount thanks to the McPherson strut suspension.

Between steering box Supers and rack and pinion Supers, there is a small difference.

All of the above is based on stock configuration.
Old May 22nd 2006, 15:56

so which is better for the GL look. steering box or R&P. I want good handling overall

Super wanted

Old May 22nd 2006, 16:10

I would also like to know more about this setup. Most importantly as to where can I get one.

Super wanted

Old May 23rd 2006, 09:31

Quote:
so which is better for the GL look. steering box or R&P. I want good handling overall
R&P doesn't have the "play" a steering box has. Then again, a tight (new or rebuilt) steering box has little to begin with.

It really comes down to your intent and your personal preference.

If your car will be achieving a wider stance with wider tires, you will lose some turning radius. So if your steering remains stock, you may want to go with the steering box.

If you are more interested in high speed handling than hairpin turns and parallel parking, then you will want the instant responsiveness of rack and pinion steering.

If your budget is deep enough or you are patient enough to wait until you can afford it, you can get the best of both worlds by going r&p now and getting a racing version adapted later.

Remember, the cornering aspect of handling comes down to a lot more than style of steering. Weight distribution, suspension, tires, brakes, etc. are all part of it, too.

When I was searching for my Super, I wanted a '75 because of the r&p steering knowing full well I had some added expense ahead of me to ditch the hideous battering ram bumpers. At that time, I had a full-on German Looker in mind. I still intend to go that route some day.

I bought my '71 because it was in the starting shape I needed -- meaning it was stock (didn't have to undo someone else's project) and in rustfree condition. This project has morphed into what I would call a spirited daily driver German Looker. It won't be stripped of chrome, rear and passenger seats, and sheet metal and glass in favor of carbon fiber, fiberglass and Lexan. It will have a stereo. It has upgraded seats but not true racing seats. It won't have a roll bar. It even has cupholders for crying out loud.

Different projects. Different intent. I want my '71 to eventually be able to take care of most daily drivers if need be and be somewhat domesticated if need be. (Steering box is perfectly fine here.) I want my some day '75 to be able to thumb its nose at all showroom performance cars and flat-out back it up every time it needs to. (I'll take the rack for this.)

Quote:
I would also like to know more about this setup. Most importantly as to where can I get one.

Looks more like a custom one-off project than something one can buy at the usual suspects.
Old May 23rd 2006, 09:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
It really comes down to your intent and your personal preference.

If you are more interested in high speed handling than hairpin turns and parallel parking, then you will want the instant responsiveness of rack and pinion steering.

I am looking for the high speed handling, Like in the early 80's with the cars in california that were racing up the hillsides. low, hugging the road and able to take the curves at high speeds.

All my car that I have owned had a steering box. Is there that much improvement with R&P.

Super wanted

Old May 23rd 2006, 13:07

Probably not. I gave a long-winded response because I don't want to make a value assessment that is ultimately yours. I tried to be as dispassionate as possible while still voicing my perspective.

My '71 corners in anger as well as some stock GTIs I have driven. Given its stock engine (at the moment) it doesn't exactly sustain its anger. If I were dissatisfied with its steering box, I would be selling it and starting over rather than continuing with its upgrades.

I simply prefer r&p. That's all.
Old May 23rd 2006, 15:46

I understand. Just trying to get info to make the right decision for myself. Its all good.

Super wanted

Old May 24th 2006, 10:24

i would say my '72 and my '75 both handle about the same....... i never raced either on a track, but in spirited street driving i don't really notice much diff. And yes the R&P is an instant response feel. When you move the steering there is really no play, the tires move exactly the same. i hope that didnt sound too contradictory.