GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 18th 2010, 08:33

944 Hubs

I have a problem with the 924S(944 N/A) front legs on our '03 Super. I've only just noticed after 3 years that the front right wheel bearing was a problem. In a nutshell the outer wheel bearing is bottoming out on the stub axle shoulder before the inner bearing does. This means that the outer bearing is setting itself perfectly but the inner taper roller bearing is VERY slack. With the wheel on there is about 1/4" movement top/bottom, side/side. I have tried a new set of bearings and it is exactly the same. All the bits a 924S/944 should have are there and there are no beetle bits in the equation. All I can suppose is that the hub/stub axle are not matched.
I have checked and the 924S/944 bearing kit has exactly the same bearings as the 911 3.0 SC. Could it be that the 911 hub is machine slightly differently to the 924S with the bearings closer together. If anyone has a Porsche parts manual perhaps they could check the part Nos for the 924S/944 and the 911?
I plan to add a spacer to the stub axle shoulder for the inner bearing so that the inner bearing sets itself first and hopefully that will work. Its going to be a trial and error set up as I don't want to have to remove the bearing races to measure everything.

Clive
Old November 18th 2010, 19:06

Hi

According to PET the 944 T used 477 405 065B hub, same as earlier 944s.

Do the hubs have any part numbers on them?

This picture may help, there are lots variations in the 911 hubs, I will need a bit more time to give you a better answer.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 944 hubs.jpg (82.5 KB, 25 views)
Old November 19th 2010, 06:36

Thanks Steve, There are no part Nos on the Hub. In fact, the casting logo is indecipherable. The 924S hub should be the 065B part also. Interestingly, I found in the interim that the same year 911 Carrera hub has a part No. 930 341 065 - there must be some significance in that?

I've come to the conclusion that an alternative similar looking hub has been substituted at some time or someone has cleaned up the bearing seats that has had the effect of closing up the dimension between the bearing races. Either way if I am to re-use the hub then I will have to shim it in some way. I'm not looking at a big amount so the brake caliper/disc centring won't be greatly affected and I am bracing myself to once again drift a bearing race out to add the shim. Like I said its going to be trial and error and another delay.

The only alternative to all this is to buy a new hub (£££££!)

Clive
Old November 19th 2010, 16:34

Hi

I made a typo, I meant to say 924T uses the same hub as earlier 944s.

Steve
Old November 20th 2010, 07:45

I made a list some time ago, wanted to make a database-based webpage out of it. Since I didn't have the time till now I just uploaded the basic HTML here for you
https://sites.google.com/a/1303rs.nl/cms/
I can upload the pictures of the hubs as well if you want?

Last edited by Simon; November 20th 2010 at 07:55.
Old November 22nd 2010, 08:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by $aint View Post
I made a list some time ago, wanted to make a database-based webpage out of it. Since I didn't have the time till now I just uploaded the basic HTML here for you
https://sites.google.com/a/1303rs.nl/cms/
I can upload the pictures of the hubs as well if you want?
Thank you, much appreciated.

I sorted the problem at the w/e with a 2mm spacer behind the inner bearing and in front of the seal.