GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 30th 2006, 05:46

Torsion bar measurment

Hi

Its a long story, fitting G50, but the short story is I’m moving my inner torsion bar location points further out in the tubes so I can fit early bug length torsion bars in. As I’m using stock 944 arms and spring plates I need to have the torsion bars protrude the correct amount, this measurement would be the same as any IRS bug. What I need is the measurement from the face where the torsion bar rubber cover bolts up to the tip of the torsion bar. I measured this on my car and wrote it down and now I cant find it.

Your help would be useful

Steve
Old July 30th 2006, 10:27

Hi steve I,m doing the same mod with the shorter torsion bars to fit a 915 box .
my car is on the forum under 56 money pit or on the aussieveedubbers forum in members ride under Malcolm.I,ll measure it Monday .I made a jig up soI can weld in the 944 torsion tube its the same length as the beetles using a 1974 pan .I,m in Melbourne u2u me youremail address if you want .cheers Malcolm.
Old July 30th 2006, 14:47

Wouldn't it be easier to assemble the torsion bars in properly? That would give you an amount of jigging and guarantee that they are in the correct position, at least for tacking the centres in position..

Rich
Old July 30th 2006, 22:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56oval
Hi steve I,m doing the same mod with the shorter torsion bars to fit a 915 box .
my car is on the forum under 56 money pit or on the aussieveedubbers forum in members ride under Malcolm.I,ll measure it Monday .I made a jig up soI can weld in the 944 torsion tube its the same length as the beetles using a 1974 pan .I,m in Melbourne u2u me youremail address if you want .cheers Malcolm.
I don't mean to be ignorant, but why would you weld in a 944 torsion tube? I just got done putting 944 torsion bars in my 73?
Old July 31st 2006, 01:05

Hi

Ive had some inner spline sections turned up and these are nice fit into the into the existing tubes, I will rose bud weld these in when they are in the correct place. So all I need to know is how far the end of the bar protrudes on a stock IRS car.

Steve
Old July 31st 2006, 08:00

torsion tube meas

the torsion bar extends @150mm from the bolt face

this is with the torsion bar spline face almost flush with the inside of the gearbox forks.

the jig shows torsion bar at the outside end is the springplate clamped to the bracket were the torsion tube bolts to

I would place the torsion bar in the tube bolt up the spring plate with the end cap off put the female spline in place .

VW & 944 spring plate tubes are the same length ,but early 944 have height adjustment +/- 20mm .
I hope this helps steve .cheers malcolm.
Old July 31st 2006, 08:05

the original torsion tube from inside the gearbox folks to the bolt face of the springplate is @ 410-420mm

LLVW I,m welding in the 944 torsion tube 60mm higher to lower the car without upsetting the geometry and I can comply with the 944 track to comply with adrs in Australia .
Old July 31st 2006, 15:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56oval
the original torsion tube from inside the gearbox folks to the bolt face of the springplate is @ 410-420mm

LLVW I,m welding in the 944 torsion tube 60mm higher to lower the car without upsetting the geometry and I can comply with the 944 track to comply with adrs in Australia .
Oh, I see. It is easy to become ignorant of all of the road tests that aren't required here in the states.
Old August 7th 2006, 10:07

Hi Malcolm

Thanks for that. Looks like your doing some serious cutting as well.

Steve
Old August 7th 2006, 19:38

I hope this helps .Just tring to work out the best way to support the 915 bellhousing on the gearbox folks.
cheers malcolm
Old August 8th 2006, 09:28

Hi

Im going to use the Subaru mounts on my motor and make a bracket to attach them to the end of the frame horns, Im using a Berg styer mount in the middle to hold the motor in place when the motor is not fitted.

Steve
Old August 8th 2006, 11:33

I was going to go the subaru root but if I do in vic the car will need a torsion test done on the chassis due to the other suspension mods .So I might go with a turbo type 4.Richard at V-Force has been a great help with advice and parts as well.Out of 7 approved vic roads engineers only1would let me go with a subie motor and he wants the torsion test done.
Steve did your car have a VW water boxer motor,now your going subie.
cheers Malcolm.
Old August 12th 2006, 09:57

Hi

The WBX was in my 1972 bug. I sold that car, now im building a 1973 L bug (1303).

Steve