GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 16th 2006, 02:01

My Superbug

since im actually making progress again finally i thought i mite share, and because i got a digital cam for pics to share... just cutting rust these days, dont know what else to say, have questions ask if you wish... check it out

background info, its a 71 superbeetle, your average condition cheap super i guess, got plans in the works for it, you will see as it progresses, its been daily driven, driven up from sydney to newcastle then brisbane, while ive been trying to work on it, so been in 3 garages in about 3 months, that was awhile back, now im resting it after the big trip, and ive striped it, cleaned it up abit, so its a very bare shell, well paint is there, replacing metal currently, well holes with metal, get it back on the pan, then off again for the next phase, paint! thats the details ill say so far, pics say more i guess...
When 1 1st got it

When 1 1st got it

Photoshopped pic when it was washed once in sydney

Last edited by AusSuper; September 16th 2006 at 02:10. Reason: testing pic links
Old September 16th 2006, 02:11

more

My Garage in Brisbane afew days ago...

And finally a little something i made in mspaint when i got bored and couldnt touch it, no it wont look like that when its done, ive changed my mind since...

All comments etc welcome, enjoy i guess
Old September 20th 2006, 07:55

cutting this is rather un nerving the first time...

its all i got done over the weekend, dont get much time to work on my precious bug, girlfriend is more precious:agree: enjoy the pics, more next weekend
Old September 20th 2006, 15:39

Keep the pics coming, I like these quick progress reports!

Rich
Old September 21st 2006, 05:29

no worries ricola, updates should be every weekend, and maybe some stuff during the week:agree: thanks for the interest, love your projects aswell
Old September 21st 2006, 09:07

aussuper did you measure the door gaps before you removed the doors so if one side is tighter than the other you can make adjustments while the heater channels are removed .keep the pics coming
Old September 23rd 2006, 00:01

Measured the space between pillars, not doors, fixing that another way tho, want perfect gaps, worked out an easier way, mod the doors not the body length, it sits perfect on the pan that way, and it was even when i started, doors seemed the easier thing to mod to me, will do with the pics i should be working on it now infact, since you all like pics.... this is me

Old September 23rd 2006, 21:32

"Luke, I am your Father...."

(saw that one coming, didnt you? )
Old September 24th 2006, 01:00

update, nothing special, dont have time to get to the vw shop so i decided to do abit of measuring while i could... wheels, roof, dash, sizes, clearance etc...

Old September 24th 2006, 01:12

Oh and on more of a GL type note, to break up the rust work, it will be rolling on a tasteful set of wheels, around 18 inches tall, 8s front, 10s rear, not rice style, not chromies, just nice wheels, wouldnt see them on this type of car usually but i like them, roof thing was me contemplating a 4inch chop, so i have head room and clearance for a helmet for racing, ill decide on the chop or not after the bottom 1/2 is done, dash is getting 6 gauges in it, tight fit, tested to see if it would all fit and be visable etc, im happy, now going to make the dash from metal and weld in, im suprised i dont run away scared with this, but i have the right things motivating me pushing me to do it perfect, or as close to as i can get. oh and no they arent the seats going in this either, i have better taste than that,
Old September 28th 2006, 00:36

somehow i think ill be cutting another body for this, not having much of an interior so its gotta look normal, i think its beyond my skills and patience at this point, anyone done this part before?

id love to see before and after pics and info if someone has without cutting another shell.

and another thing... i think ill have plenty of room for my chosen wheel sizes regardless of height, this is at zero travel and i could get away with an 18x8 wheel with low profile rubber under there, then add fatter taller guards should be a peice of cake

ok ok this is the style wheel im loving the idea of, its not chrome and its not rice burner style either, more of a hotrod street machine style look...

Im sick today thats why theres a tiny update, also there is a vw show on this weekend on 1 of the 2days i can work on it so dont know how much ill get done, hoping to hand form my own repair section for LHS footwell / inner wheelarch that meets the sills/heater channel section, first attempt at this, cant wait to break in the tools, wish me luck, hopefully wont be sick still on the weekend either.

Last edited by AusSuper; September 28th 2006 at 00:37. Reason: forgot pic
Old October 1st 2006, 19:01

Hate to dissapoint but different things have filled my weekend this time, i might get something done later today, no promises though... didnt get to the vw thing either... the vw population seemed to of doubled around my place over the weekend though, wish it was always like that, never enough dubs!

Dave
Old October 15th 2006, 01:09

nothing happening as yet, have a funeral tomorrow on my day off so doubt much will get done, instead of trying to squish my stuff in im doing abit of maintenance on my missus's car... shes got good taste aswell... what do you think? oh and does anyone know what causes free play on a ball joint bug with a new steering box? adjusting screw doesnt change anything... i have no idea aboutr these beam things, give me struts anyday i say, so would you call this a GL bug? 17x7s white with pink/purple pearl through it, lowered, is it enough to be a GL???

Last edited by AusSuper; October 15th 2006 at 01:11. Reason: adding details
Old October 15th 2006, 13:31

lookin good major progress you move alot faster than i do
Old October 15th 2006, 19:20

Thanks, doesnt seem like im going anywhere on my bug currently, had other things come up so dont have much time 2 invest in it, doing some maintenance on my girls car was a nice change, gave me abit more motivation to get mine to the stage where its just lots of little adjustments left instead of big jobs like panel work, and paint, i figure it will only get to finished primer stage mid next year, worked on the theory of three more years work, the panel work and paint is the most daunting of jobs to me, cant wait till i can step back and look at a solid 100% rust free straight smooth painted bodyshell that wont rust ever again, well hopefully... do you have a build thread bow? thanks for the comments again.
Dave