GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 13th 2005, 23:03

Same parts - Different suppliers

Greetings,

Just a questions on 944 trailing arms (before you sign and roll you eyeballs, it's not the usual type)

In a continuing quest to obtain a set of aluminum early 944 arms (more ore less complete) I have come across two different venders who have the opposite arms (one has a left, the other has a right)

Has anyone mixed arms with any problems? I would prefer to get a match set, but if things keep going like they have been, the opportunities seem few and far between.

I'd just like your thoughts on this before I proceed.

Thanks,

Doug
Old June 14th 2005, 00:18

well I suppose there wouldn't be a problem with two different sources, but maybe someone here nows of a source, guys?

Frankly I'd wait 'til others chime in here, as I have yet to think about getting the porsche arms. I don't even know if the arms had changed through out the years.

but why the 944 arms? given the reason you may want to look at an alternative like eagle or blind chicken racing. I believe they both can custom make some arms out of 4130, which would both be relativly light and strong with an increase in length if need be. This may be a good alternative if you find porsche parts difficult to find in a match.
Old June 14th 2005, 00:20

here

http://www.eagleperformance.com/NewF...RearTrArm.html

http://www.blindchickenracing.com/Pr...sion_parts.htm
Old June 14th 2005, 03:00

I hope I'm not imposing here by asking what the advantages of the 944 trailing arms are?
Old June 15th 2005, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by libila
I hope I'm not imposing here by asking what the advantages of the 944 trailing arms are?
they're aluminum lighter
provide larger rear track
easily go with porsche rear brakes
and I think if you want you can adjust them. (how??? don't know)
Old June 15th 2005, 02:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by rip
they're aluminum lighter
provide larger rear track
easily go with porsche rear brakes
and I think if you want you can adjust them. (how??? don't know)
Does it widen the rear track to the point where one would need wider fenders if using a seven inch wide wheel? Can the 944 arms be added with no other modification (besides brakes)?

Sorry for hijacking your thread.
Old June 15th 2005, 14:57

libila,

No problem. From what I understand in my research is that the early arms (85 to 86.5) only widen the track by 12mm +/- per side (my memory could be wrong about the exact number, but it's not too significant)

The later aluminum arms (87 +) widen the track 76mm +/- (again, from memory so don't take this as being 100% correct)

Someone like Zen can give you the exact numbers, but I have found them doing a search of the site. Suffice it to say that the later arms widen the tracking quite a bit more than the early ones.

I have a complete set of 944 Turbo brakes (4 pot Brembo) that I want to use, so replacing the arms with the aluminum (early) ones seems to me to be the path of least resistance.

Doug
Old June 15th 2005, 17:07

Quote:
Does it widen the rear track to the point where one would need wider fenders if using a seven inch wide wheel? Can the 944 arms be added with no other modification (besides brakes)?

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

yea what doug said, and depending on the offset of the wheel you can probably get away with stock fenders, but I'm not to sure I never really paid this too much attention as Im not going to use porsche wheels. But a search should give some examples of people getting away with it.

I know that most porsche rims have a et of about 52-55 and I remember that lanner wrote an article awhile back that said he got 7 wide rims with et of 42-46 to fit later irs bugs with some spacing, so because the early prosche arms seems to increase the track about 12mm you could probably use the porsche rims, with some spacers, and the early arms. I don't know how well the later arms would do.
Old June 15th 2005, 23:51

Would other modifications be needed to make the Arms work? Would widening the track upset the cars balance as far as the way it handles?
Old June 16th 2005, 03:15

Quote:
Would other modifications be needed to make the Arms work? Would widening the track upset the cars balance as far as the way it handles?

well I think they are solely bolt in, but don't quote me on that.

and about the track, the track will of course change the car's balance, but depending on the setup it may not even be a lot.

By using the wider track, wider rims, and tires the rear will gain some stablility and traction thus you may lose some of the inherit over steer that a bug has. This may be good or bad depending on how you drive.

Best bet would be to decide on the wheels and brakes you want to use. If like may people here you choose porsche for both well the trailing arms are probably a good thing (for the above reasons). Then drive it. See how it handles, then adjust. This can be done with sway bars and tire pressure to fine tune. But, ultimately the increase in stablity is a good thing for higher speeds, in the corners though it really depends on the driver. I prefer over steer to under.