GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old September 2nd 2005, 15:50

clutch help

got a bit of a problem that i hope someone can help me with. I got the Saco hydro clutch kit. And have been trying to install it with no luck.

I mean everything is put together but I can't seem to pull the slave far enough to release the clutch. I've got the slave saver, that aligns the slave cylinder correctly and the system was bleed, actually thinking it wasn't fully bleed; I went and got the power bleeder. And yes the bleeder screw was at the top of the slave when bleeding so I'm pretty sure all of the air is out.

Calling around they say not to "preload the slave" like tighten it down 'til it works, as this will not let it fully out so the clutch can grab, they say to leave about 1/8" of play.

Can anyone think of anything else to try?

As a side note, i don't think this is the issue but I'll through it out there. I'm using a 40hp block with a 6volt flywheel and pp mounted to a 12volt IRS tranny, could the issue be that the throw out bearing doesn't reach the pressure plate?

Thanks
Rip
Old September 3rd 2005, 03:10

How long is your clutch arm? IRS gearboxes came with 3 different length arms, 73mm, 90mm, and 100mm. You need the short arm, which is found on 69-72 gearboxes. The short arm requires the least travel of the slave cylinder.
Old September 3rd 2005, 15:57

hmm... don't know exactly. the trans came off a 70 bug, but again the tranny could have been replaced.

how can you measure the lentgh? is it from end to end? center to center?

thanks for the reply
rip
Old September 3rd 2005, 16:30

alright searched and found that the measurement is taken from center to center. I see about 75mm. So I'm guessing its the shorter one.
Old September 4th 2005, 00:58

I will be trying to bleed the system again, but only seem to be getting about 1/2" worth of movement at the clutch lever, looking at a friends lever, it moves 1" or so. So I think that is the problem, movement.

This being a kit I assume that the parts are matched, Shaw once said that the kit was designed to release the clutch at full stroke, with the pedal almost to the floor. So I get to try and find out how to get another 1/2" of movment.

Any clues?

Rip
Old September 5th 2005, 01:45

The arm you have is the shortest one made. That is the one that gives you the most TO bearing travel for a given slave cyl stroke.

It sounds like you have a hydraulic problem.
Old September 5th 2005, 13:55

yep have spent the last four days bleeding it. I held the clutch lever to try and load the cylinder as I bled it, I power bled it. I tilted the master cylinder as so the in/out lets were completely up, I did everything I could think of for four days.

I can't get more than 1/2" of movment. I even used a screw driver between the clutch hook arm and the clevis on the mc rod to bottom out the mc. Still nothing. So I know I get full motion at the mc, but well the only thing I can think of is that the mc is bad, some how, or that the kit was miss matched. But so many people have bought this thing soo what gives?

Anyone know the size of thier mc?

thanks
Rip
Old September 6th 2005, 04:12

perhaps it is a fabrication error. just a sugestion.
Old September 8th 2005, 02:02

How hard would it be to pull the MC out and take it apart? You could measure its bore and stroke then calculate the volume of fluid it displaces. Then take the slave cyl apart and measure it's bore. With the volume displaced you can then calculate how much the stroke of the slave should be. This will tell you if the MC and slave cyl are matched.
Old September 8th 2005, 17:04

thanks, the bore was stamped on it, 5/8 soo... a quick call to cnc I found they reccomend at least a 3/4 mc.

The kit was returned. But before I did I tested it. Set it up on the bench and still only got about 1/2~5/8 of movement. Still not enough.

I started a new post in the brake section, looks like I'm going to have to get a pedal box. I got a few ideas.

Thanks again for all the help
Rip