GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 20th 2006, 09:14
Administrator

Vanagon egine converted to aircooled (type 5) = lots of machine work and will more than likely cost far more than a type 4 in the end. Jake started one and gave up on it some time later.
Corair 6 - Perfomance parts are fewer and farther between. Any emgine that turns backwards and has an odd number of cam lobes it too freaky for me. Fitting it and trans adapting may be a problem too.
A 2056 type 4 can net you 130 hp and last far longer and have a wider/flater torque curve than a 2110 type 1. A 2270 would push 170+ hp at an extra $ for headwork, etc.
Just my 2 cents.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 20th 2006, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
The second is a Corvair six-cylinder engine.

The potential downside of the Corvair engine is it may not fit. I am buying a magazine/manual about the Corvair engine.
Haha, what made you think of this 'possibility'
Did you get the Bill Fisher book(let)? I ordered one through ebay as well,but haven't received it yet....
Quote:
I fear that it will fit Type 4 cars, dune buggies and Bajas more easily than a GL 1302 that doesn't want to headbutt onlookers with its appearance.
I think too that it will not really fit a 1302 or any other stock bug engine space. It could maybe, but would include some new modifications that no-one has ever done (thats why I like it ), but that will also exclude it for your application...

The type 5 is still for gearheads that also wrench themselves, as there are too few being made IMHO. A total engine from Rocky Jennings for instance may be interesting to ask a quotation for
Asking doesn't cost you and it ends all speculation about price differences there may or may not be....

Regards,
Walter
(who doesn't build engines for anybody)
Old January 20th 2006, 10:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
type 5 = lots of machine work and will more than likely cost far more than a type 4 in the end.
Yeah, I was afraid of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
Corvair 6 - Fitting it and trans adapting may be a problem too.
I was afraid of that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Haha, what made you think of [the Corvair] 'possibility'
Did you get the Bill Fisher book(let)? I ordered one through ebay as well,but haven't received it yet....
That's the booklet! I saw it on my typical eBay search at the same time that other thread got started. I figured it was a long shot but at six cylinders the need to go beyond stock might have been minimal and at least worth a look.

I do read the technical posts even if I am the resident technoklutz. If our next house has a garage, I will get some stock beater and learn on it with the hopes of being able to apply it to the car(s) that really matter to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Walter, who doesn't build engines for anybody
Afraid of being conscripted?
Old January 20th 2006, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
Afraid of being conscripted?
I am not sure what 'conscripted' means, but I just wanted you to know that I have nothing to sell...
Old January 20th 2006, 14:57

Conscription is compulsory enrollment -- like being drafted into the military.

When this thread first started, different ideas were bandied about. After some debating, it appeared to me the only option within my grasp at that time was one made by vujade (who I had the pleasure of meeting in person back in November). His suggestion was a 2110 T1.

Other suggestions seemed to require work beyond my scope or anyone else I could commission. The 2056 and 2270 T4 suggestions seemed to be out of the pricepoint I had selected; that is until zen "volunteered" NO_H2O (both of whom I also had the pleasure of meeting in person last November) to build one of Massive Type IV's engines for me.

I saw your addendum to your sig and thought you might have wanted a bit more distance between you and me than what the Netherlands and Baltimore had to offer.

All in good fun.
Old February 3rd 2006, 20:34

"My stock engine gives me max torque at low RPM's and has a nice flat torque curve throughout the powerband. I like that. I just want more power. I want a trouble-free engine with regular maintenance. I want durability."

Wow 5 pages-and I read each post. I want the same thing as oasis. No race car, a daily driver with a little more. I think the answers depend on how much more power do you want. I'm sort of thinking going to a 1776 or maybe 1800 something, duel carb, upgraded exhaust and call it a day. Stay stock transmission, same case. Even without doing any work myself, well under $8000, you think?

I've installed almost everything Topline sells and 17" Porsche wheels.
Old February 4th 2006, 05:12

well after 5 pages of enjoyable reading i thought i would chuck in my thoughts ,but just to clear up , im no engine guru .
1, for a daily driver 130-150 bhp is more than adequate t1,will do this cheaper but t4 ultimatly will give better service (both if serviced correctly will give many years of service )
2, if like me you enjoy adding to the performance of your car in a winter strip down and it does not have to be a daily driver then maybe t1 is the way to go, there are many more performance parts available at reasonable money.
3 if you want big power 250-400bhp t1 or t4 ,here is no cheap way of doing this you have to have deeeep pockets although t1 would be thew cheaper option
i suppose it depends on what you want the car for, i know i have gone off track a little but there you go
cheers jon
zx7rr
Old February 4th 2006, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superbug Scott
I'm sort of thinking going to a 1776 ..., duel carb, upgraded exhaust and call it a day. Stay stock transmission, same case. Even without doing any work myself, well under $8000, you think?
Oh, no doubt. I've driven a 1776 before and was ready to buy a Type 34 with one until the seller backed out. It is definitely peppier ... peppyer ... more peppy ... uh, has more pep than the rocko stocko. Plus, I have not heard one person ever give a bad review to a well constructed 1776.

If I had a garage, my first endeavor would have been to rebuild a 1600. If that went well and I felt confident with what I had learned, a 1776 would probably have been Project Two for my learning curve. This is still my plan should we ever move -- it just won't include my current Super.

Since my Super is a co-daily driver and my first modified car, I am reaching for a little more greed in the pep department. A 1776 is plenty to do 70 MPH all day long. It is just that doing 70 on the interstates from New York to Florida -- my domain -- isn't necessarily plenty.

When the time comes, I need to decide how much money I can devote to the project which will be further complicated by the selling of our Westy and the purchasing of a car (Scirocco, maybe?) for our daughter. The $8k was a guesstimate. If the sell/buy goes well and the stocker continues to perform reliably, I may delay the $8k decision until it becomes a $11k certainty. All of this has to be decided within the confines my head.

speedy's point number two is enviable. Maybe some day with some future Super or other air-cooled ... As for 250-plus horsepower, I'm afraid that might be too much for me in a bug. Maybe, my Cabrio would like that instead.