GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 29th 2002, 23:49

FAT measurements...

I'm back in the same town with the engine, sorry for the delay.

The measurement from the centerline of the crank to the top of the entire assembly (the ring clamp bolting area) comes out to 17.25 inches.

The fan assembly is eleven blades, 9.5 inches in diameter, spinning in a housing with the Porsche part number 901 106 101 5R.

The system seems to work great in a 914, as a friend of mine has been running one for years here in Texas without problems. I do not anticipate problems in the Meyers Manx application I am using it in.

Thanks,
Randy
Old October 30th 2002, 12:10

If a shroud will keep a TIV/2900cc engine cool running through the middle of the Baja desert for 3 solid days straight I think it will do a damn good job in a street car....but fitment is the question.

I have used the FAT shroud in 914 production class full race engines, 1800cc=180 BHP @ 12:1, no problems at all.

It seems that the Europeans only like European products and the Americans only like our products......and I guess thats the way it will always be.
Old October 30th 2002, 12:29

Jake,

I think you are right with parts coming from different countries but I find this pretty sad. I really do not care where the parts are coming from as long as the quality is good and the price is fair.

There are some great products available from US companies and European companies.
One example that caught my attention:
The Käfer Cup brace kit was developed many years ago for the Cup racers. When introduced nobody really bought them until TGFab did his own version. Another example is the light valve train. For years we heard on the CLF about higher spring pressure with high duration cams and stock or Scat lifters. Now people start to look into lighter lifters, push rods etc.

Also the heritage is completely different. Europe is more track focused and the US more focused on the strip. This is changing now.....which is exciting. And this is the main reason for our website.....show you what is out there, what can be bought....regardless from which country.
The beauty is that we can learn from each other to give quality a new meaning instead of pointing fingers.

Just my opinion on this subject.

Alex:silly:
Old October 30th 2002, 12:45

Controversy supplies the reader with exciting and hard bitten opinions, states as facts from both sides... No arbitrator is introduced and we can hash things out the old fashioned way while trying to make our point...

I use parts from both sides of the spectrum...as well as other countries as well.

What I do works, and what they do works, the only person that is right is the guy that leaves the conversation knowing more than he did before he read the page.
Old October 30th 2002, 13:04
Administrator

Thumbs up

This is what's cool about having both european parts and parts in the US..... there is more than one way to solve the problem

The reader of the post is made more knowledgeable about what exists out there.

I for one, am looking for parts that fit my budget and solve the immediate problem at hand (May be creating another one though with out knowing it !).... but I am not keen on paying for overseas shipping.

Sandeep
Old October 30th 2002, 13:59

Sandeep,

a lot of people do not realize that the advertised prices in Europe always contain the tax which is about 16% that you can deduct because you do not have to pay it.
This will cover shipping normally.
I paid about 60$ US for a Kerscher front disk kit from BAS that took about 2 weeks to get to my door. It already entered Canada after 5 days but customs here take are pretty slow.
If you get something shipped you have to make sure that the vendor ships via Economy which means it will cross the Ocean via palne but the rest is done by rail or truck so it will take a little longer than airmail which is very expensive.

You have to pay duty but you have to pay it anyways if it comes from the States and if it is shipped via UPS you have to pay a high brockerage fee too. shipping is expensive no matter from where it comes from to Canada.
Alex
Old October 30th 2002, 20:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Sandeep,

a lot of people do not realize that the advertised prices in Europe always contain the tax which is about 16% that you can deduct because you do not have to pay it.
Alex
i did not know that. i did get my rear drums from CSP Germany bought and shipped for about the same everyone here was just selling them for. it was like $150 all said and done. and quick too.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 30th 2002, 20:31

Once again how much more demanding can an engine be for airflow than when it is subjected to Desert like temps for days at a time in dusty climates, with super low gearing??

Nothing can duplicate the engines need for cooling in that application, no street car has that amount of load on the engine in that type of climate and ambient air temperature.

FATs shroud has been around for years, but I forgot it doesn't count because it uses the Genuine Porcshe fan and not a part from a GOLF!
Old October 30th 2002, 22:36

Ehhh Jake,

my statememt was not about the shroud but more about your comment that Americans like US stuff and Europeans like European stuff. It really had nothing to do with 911 shrouds. I think I gave enough examples that were not even related to a 911 shroud.

Alex
Old October 31st 2002, 05:06
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Funny, I use all parts, no matter from where they come, the qualtiy is important. I like US stuff as my father imports stuff since the 70'S, so I raised with all the stuff and I know, what's working and what not!

I don't know, what's the deal with the FAT shroud? Hey Jake, I use also Porsche alternators, all the customers who catch up a cheap ring with alt and fan from a Porsche are served with bit's & pieces to complete their fan system by me. I like the original, but Golf alts work as good! Ride a bit more on that theme and we are creating a problem.
Old October 31st 2002, 11:07
Administrator

Porsche vs Golf

Guys,

Its good to have a choice when it comes to solving a particular problem... and there is always more than one way to solve the problem...

To me it does not make a difference which part I use... the budget I have will make the decision for me. Alot of people in this community are trying to put a T4 into their ride and want the Porsche fan look, but don't have the $$$ to make it happen

Through my research, I have found I can get a used genuine Porsche alt/fan for about $150-$200 (upper end of my budget) so this is the solution to the upright conversion that I will go with... not because it is a Porsche part...but because it fits my budget.

If I could get a Golf alt/fan for $150... I would use it, but not because it is a Golf part, but because it fits my budget.

Its the budget that will make the decision for me and this means alot of compromises.... but the bottom line is its the consumer who is going to do the research and make the decision and its good to be able to have a choice.

Sandeep
Old November 20th 2002, 13:09
Administrator

Talking An Update !

I placed the order for the kit this morning. Includes everything but the 911 fan, alt and ring. I have almost 3 weeks off from work during December and I want to have this engine installed in the car with everything but the exhaust !!

I'll post some pics when the box arrives.

Sandeep
Old November 20th 2002, 13:12

Cool, Let us know, I'm interested to see if it fits in the engine bay with no mods.
Old November 20th 2002, 13:30
Administrator

Thumbs up

Sure thing.

I will have to make a small 'Half Moon' cut in the decklid like in the first image of this thread, but I will take lots of pics.

I'm installing this into a '74 bug so I have the late style decklid and I can move the licence plate light up or down a bit to hide the cut.

Pics will follow after the install !!

Sandeep
Old November 20th 2002, 15:38

please do let us know. i am putting my finger on the trigger. i am interested in knowing how well everything mounts and quality of the materials. i will probably use standoffs if i go with the FAT. still strongly considering DTM though.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design