GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 10th 2004, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
My original rant is due to the fact that Speed Channel use to bring a wide range of motorsport to us and over the last few years it has become dominated by NASCAR. I miss the go-carts, small time drag racing, hell even lawn mower racing, it don't get any more Red Neck than that. But on a Sunday evening there is no less than 3 shows to recap the NASCAR race from that day. NASCAR TECH, INSIDE NEXTEL CUP, TRACKSIDE, SPEED NEWS NASCAR EDITION, BLAH BLAH BLAH. I mean they recap the racap of the recap. I wish they would just make a second channel (NASCAR TV) and put Speed Channel back to what it was. Then I could channel block it.
:agree: 100%

I was always pumped about the Speed Channel then they just changed. THAT SUCKED! It was a huge dissappointment when they leaned so far towards NASCAR. A seperate NASCAR channel would be absolutely ideal. I would watch Motor Trend and the Horsepower Hour a thousand times before NASCAR.
Now they're trying to bring a NASCAR track here to the Northwest. Trying to decide if thats good or bad...
Old July 10th 2004, 16:06

I'm just tired of having NASCAR rammed down my throat so often.

Yes, their job is hard. No, I couldn't do it

Yes, NASCAR drivers are tactful, consumate professionals, who give credit to their team, family, God, and sponsors after the race, and are happy to greet their fans when possible.

NASCAR is absolutely part of our southeastern heritage. It's roots were born in the hills of NC, GA, and AL from moonshiners and their hopped up '37-'40 Ford 2-doors out to see who had the fastest machine, and the only venues available were oval shaped Horse tracks, until a sanctioning body was formed.
Hell, my Dad even raced in short track stock-cars in the '60s, and '70's.

It's my belief that only so much can be said about ANY sport before it gets pretty redundant. On Monday there will be 9 and a half hours of NASCAR coverage in their broadcast day, many of those slots are replays from earlier programs. To that end I tend to tune it out.

...kinda like what Clear Channel Media has done to classic rock in the last 8 years.
'83 928S 4.7

Last edited by yetibone; July 11th 2004 at 09:01.
Old July 11th 2004, 09:15

i agree also there is to much coverage on nascar, compared to other motorsports.

but you have to understandits nor nascat that drives this hideous monster. the tv stations get paid by broadcasting and airing slots to run commercials. i was tols once a 30 sec.commercial can cost 30,000$ for a non peak air time. the tv stations make their money buy getting more retailers to buy more air time. retailers will only biuy more air time if people actually whatch that station. so get to get viewers, they air shows that the masses want...ie..nascar highlights! its the mass of views that declare whats on that station. most people would rather see a nascar event than any other. even if its a 51/49 ratio, the 51% will get to wathch thier nascar.

its a vicious cycle, and the only way to stop it is to fire off letters to the broadcasting companies. then maybe they will change thier ways. but we all know money is what talks.
Old July 11th 2004, 10:35

Money talks, very true. :agree: Every aspect of mass media is ultimately influenced by it. That was the jist of my crack on Clear Channel. They don't play the music the public wants to hear, the play what the advertising directors think fits the demographic of the products that they advertise. So now their local station (WRDU) plays the same 35 songs over and over. The songs have to be a certain tempo, and have certain content.

True, also that NASCAR isn't behind the flood of coverage, Fox Networks, their advertising dept, and all the sponsors on the hoods, roof, and sides of all the stock cars are who's to blame, and that coverage is in NASCAR's best interests.

The flood of coverage goes to NASCAR's benifit as it broadens the audience of those watching at home, wether the audience likes it or not. Since NASCAR has no foreign influences, and no foreign drivers, it's a favorite over other racing series' to the American public as a whole, thus it demands a larger portion of the market share.

Speed Channel itself would suffer a loss if NASCAR were broadcast on a dedicated and seperate station, but not their owners. Fox Networks owns the rights to NASCAR coverage, and owns Speed Channel.

When Fox bought the rights to NASCAR, they capitalized on the already huge American market, and dedicated a majority of their local networks summer sports program schedule to it. When Fox Networks took over The Speed Channel, and renamed it SPEED TV, the put the "in depth, suit behind a desk" programming on the cable channel, and most of the races on the local network stations, or they sold the rights of individual events to other networks.

I'm a motorsoprt fan, but not a NASCAR fan anymore. I lost interest first in the late '80's when restrictor plates were introduced, and early '90s when homologation rules were lifted (remember in '87 when Bobby Allison's Buick had a Chevy engine ). I know I'm stuck with the way motorsport is broadcast in America, but can cope.
'83 928S 4.7

Last edited by yetibone; July 11th 2004 at 11:03.