GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 25th 2005, 11:56

73 super pooper, welded my pistons to the cylinder walls!!!???

my girlfriend was cruising down the highway at about 65 today, and the ****ing motor in my 73 super started losing power. well, she pulled over, and went to start it again, and it wouldnt, so she called me. I met her on the side of the road, and the damn motor was seized. I was thinking that maybe it was just a bad starter not engaging, because the motor wasnt turning at all when we turned the key. i also thought it might be the alternator, or the battery, keeping the car from cranking, but just to verify it, I pushed the car and she popped the clutch, and the tires literally locked up, and the motor didnt turn AT ALL.

my 73 superbeetle is blown.

that may mean my WRX swap will happen sooner rather than later, but im not sure about that. for now, i might still just swap back in a stock motor, and go from there. if i do that, what do you guys is the absolute cheapest way to get my car back on the road?
Old October 25th 2005, 13:30

try it again tomorrow!

I've had an engine do that to me a couple of times and it fired straight up the next day! worth a try anyway...

Any reason not to just stick the WRX engine in? Might be cheaper to buy another cheap runabout if you need the extra car unless you can get an engine very cheap... At least that way you can get on wiht the bug with no time pressures

Rich
Old October 25th 2005, 14:20

THAT IS SO WIERD! I dont think this motor is going to unweld itself. i got it rolling about 5 mph, and then had her pop the clutch, and it Totally locked up the tires all be it was in gravel, but the motor even flexed down in the back of the engine bay when she popped the clutch going back in reverse. i mean it seems to be completely seized.

i want to just start my motor swap right away, but from what I have calculated, it will take me alittle over 2 grand to do it, and i dont have that money right now.

here lemme think outloud, and re-evaluate. maybe its more doable then im thinking.

adapter 450
clutch 200ish
motor 800
wiring 800-1000 (done by the god of all swaps to wire in the stock 2002 wrx ecu OBD2 port gauge cluster if i want and harness)
all fab work 200ish (for exhaust and intercooler plumbing done by me)
cooling system 200 (pieced together from cheap as hell radiator (temp) and good plumbing parts, and fabbed all by me)
misc other unforseen stuff ???
shipping, ect as well ???

Yeah, the swap will be about 3 grand. I think thats going to have to wait till my WRX is sold. thats been a HUGE money pit for me, and I dont have garage, wallet, or sanity room to have 2 big projects at the same time.
Old October 25th 2005, 14:36
Administrator

Scooby tuner,

Sorry to be off topic but why do you think the wiring is going to be 800-1000 ? Is that because you are using the stock ECU ?

I thought it was just a matter of taking the stock harness apart and getting all of the wires together that actually run the engine.

I'm really close to pulling the trigger on this conversion but just need to sort out some last details ... like which turbo engine to get.

thanks

Sandeep
Old October 25th 2005, 14:48

on the wiring, i was told 800-1000 by a local shop who has done MANY subaru motors in other cars, and full sti swaps into non wrx cars ect ect. he said that about 1000 would get all the wiring for the whole setup, wired into the stock obd2 WRX ECU, ect. should I expect it to be much less? if i could take that expense out of it, i will, but the fact that wiring harnesses, and all that **** just absolutely boggle me, id like to leave it up to someone else. i plan to wire in a stock OBD2 port so I can read fault codes, and also, plug in the obd2-usb connector, and tune with it. go to www.openecu.org (i think thats the name of it) and take a look at what has been done. people have cracked the subaru ECU, and are able to basically tune it for free. it takes about 79 bucks for the usb-obd2 connector harness!!! thats the hugestbreak through ever really, with the WRX ecu, because untill now, tuning that ecu would cost upwards of 1000 bucks.

i would be happy to give you lots of feedback on the subaru motor you plan on buying, Ive got alot of built up knowledge from my days as a subaru guy. email me at geezer_jay@hotmail.com if you would like any other information. I love exchanging information, and really need lots of help getting my bug to the point i want it at.
Old October 25th 2005, 17:39

I would think you could do the wiring yourself, it just takes a bit of time and if cash is an issue I would definitely be doing it myself!

The only thing I can think of that you missed out for major parts is a chargecooler, unless you are going to pipe up vent to the stock intercooler...

Rich
Old October 25th 2005, 17:44

oh yeah, that will be another 2-400 bucks. I happen to know that the intercoolers offered on ebay for like 249 which are huge, are absolutely good enough fot the meager power levels I am going to be shooting for.

im going to be mounting it ALL the way up on a rear spoiler made by myself as well.

im seriously considering doing the wiring myself. making the project about 2 grand, would seriosly make me consider it. that is enough money I could swing it right now. just not sure if that is going to be what i want to do or not. and again.... owning my WRX has been like dating jennifer anniston with a job like delivering pizzas.