GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 18th 2005, 14:02

1978 924 brakes/suspension stuff on 73 super?

I just recently bought my first beetle, (73 super) and am peicing together the parts for my resto/rebuild, and plan on a full suspension change, as well as a full brake conversion to disks ect. I've got a friend with a 1978 924 porsche, and I was wondering, are there any covetted parts on his car, that can be swapped on over to my car?

im hoping that maybe the front disks, and maybe even some of the suspension components could be changed over...?

Can anyone shed some light on the subject? Thanks in advance!
Old November 20th 2005, 10:35

the brake components will fit onto your bug with little or no adaptation, but in reality they offer little or no upgrade over your stock suspension/brake components. I think the front calipers are larger than the stock bug ones, but they probably won't bolt onto your bug spindles, and adapting the 924 spindles to your bug would be too expensive to make it worthwhile. The rear brakes and suspension are pretty much EXACTLY the same as your bug parts except for the 4x108mm wheel bolt PCD.
In my opinion, the only reason for a swap over would be if you wanted 4x108pcd without adapters or redrilled hubs...

however, the steering wheel should be an easy swap with some components from your stock wheel, the gauges are nice (I put all 6 924 gauges in my euro-look bug) and if the seats aren't torn they're a nice shape and probably worth making some subframes for.
Old November 21st 2005, 16:19

my beetle has drums up front. also, it has drums in the rear. from what i understand the 924 has discs up front right?

also my steering wheel is a pretty fun little wheel, its a formuling. so I dont think swapping that would be too important.