GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 9th 2004, 19:35

bent control arm?

I'm slowly upgrading my 1302 to 1303 front suspension (to accept the 944 spindles) and pulled some lower control arms from a junker. Now the question I have is whether the part I pulled is any good. The later stamped steel style seem much less substantial than the early cast stlye. Has anyone tried to fab up a new one with thick wall tubing? If someone were to, they could incorporate an adjustment for camber (they sell similar things for other cars). Anyway, I'm gonna try and put a link to a picture of the parts I got. Can anyone tell me if the arms are different (left and right) and whether or not mine is bent.

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L Control arms.JPG (70.6 KB, 72 views)
Old July 12th 2004, 19:14

Paul

Thats nicely bent. They aren't sided.

I have also thought the same thing about fabricating some. Use thick wall tubing, and some similar "tubes" for the bushes as they do now or use a rose joint on the inner one to allow camber adjust as you say.

You can also use the porsche sized mount for using a 944 ball joint instead of an aftermarket one, just to keep life easy for replacement time...

Mine are modified and painted for my use so I won't be trying this unless I bend one (very unlikely now- they've been reinforced!!)

But let us know how you get on.

Cheers
Jeremy
Old July 18th 2004, 19:14

Paul

Heres the pics of the mods I've made to my control arms.

You can see evrything here, ie reason behind the mods/ the strut top bearing etc
http://www.aussieveedubbers.com/foru...2477#pid169608

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers
Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controlarmfitted.jpg (44.4 KB, 46 views)
Old February 23rd 2005, 20:58

Thumbs up

I bought my first sb a few weeks ago and after years of feeling the solid torsion beam front lead the way I discovered the sb shimmies. I did what I could like everyone says to but it still wouldnt feel rock solid the way I like it so I took off the control arms measured them and then threw them away and made new ones out of thick wall seamless tubing for the arm and used a tube notcher from harborfreight tools to notch the end to hold a short lenght of tube welded to the arm. This short tube holds the bushing and must be made by a pro if bs is to be avoided. On the hub end I substituted a ball joint from a VW saviero which fits the sb ball joint bore like a glove and is a bolt on item cos I hate press fit joints. the ball joint appears to be the very same size as a 1982 rabbit I used to own but there are two different sizes so check if you try this. The anti roll bar bore through the control arm is just another tube welded through a hole drilled into the control arm with no room to spare. I have done fabrication work for a while If you havent DO NOT try this, instead get a machine shop to make these parts for you then take it to a competent welder or just take it to a fabrication shop for the whole job. I dont need to tell you the result of a control arm breaking at 90mph Good luck
Old February 25th 2005, 21:41

Wahdubi,

I'd love to see some pics.

L