GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 19th 2003, 14:02
Administrator

Turbo placement for Type 4 engine converted bug

I'm leaning more towards a small (1971cc) T4 turbo'd engine (9-10 psi max boost) now than a 2.5L NA motor. I've got the book 'Turbomania' from CB performance and I know its a little outdated but there is some great information in there.

I've found out that you can get turbo-prepped Weber IDF's (Blow-through) now aswell so perhaps I can swap my webers for the turbo-prepped ones.

I'm just doing the research on a turbo system now.

I have 2 questions :

1. Can I use my BAS header and bolt an extension to it to place the turbo (undecided size yet) near the transaxle, but higher than the engine sump ? Or do I need a specific turbo header ? I was hoping to be able to use the BAS but not modify it at all.

2. Does the turbo header have to be a really short combination or can it be longer ? It seems like the headers I have seen tend to be built with turbo placement as the governing factor instead of correct header length ?

I'm really excited about this possibility also because there seems alot more people who are trying this. EBay has some good turbo deals ($ 250 USD for a rebuilt T03) right now.

Thanks for any input.

Sandeep