GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old February 15th 2005, 17:50

Verstehen Sie Deutsch? 386 hp type 4

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...527498501&rd=1
When the 901 trans gave up when accelerating from 240 km/h, he obviously was tired with it
I wonder how he held the 103mm bore sealed of with that kind of turbo pressure

Enjoy,
Walter
Old February 15th 2005, 18:33

For those who dont speak german use babelfish:

http://babelfish.altavista.com
Paste the address (http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...527498501&rd=1) into the Translate a Web page box, select german -> english and click translate.

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old February 15th 2005, 19:25
Administrator

FINALLY !!!

There are some pics of that bug in the galleries ... I was wondering how he placed that turbo

Sandeep
Old February 16th 2005, 04:57

Hi Gents,
This is my mate Martins Beetle and the engine in this beast used to be my old 2.0 l T4. Anyway the power this engine delivers is something that can not be explained. When I went back to Germany to visit family and friends, we went on a tour on the Autobahn A3 towards cologne. The acceleration from 200 to 250 km/h is better than anything we came across (including 993 Turbo`s or Audi RS6). I was sweating the whole time as it nearly uses 2 lanes at 250. Top speed is around 270 but the engine revs too high at that speed. Still a lot of fun when you get on the Autobahn on ramp and leave surprised Merc and BMW drivers behind.
This is the second stage of this turbo engine as the first one had problems with leaking cylinder heads, the compression was too high (8:1),the oil galleries too small, the dry sump system not sufficient and the camshaft was a 324 schleicher . It blew a lot of the good stuff out into the exhaust and that explains the picture with the flame . He started to work for the well known company AMG, building racing engines for the DTM and the GT Mercedes and used the knowledge he gained to better his engine.
Heads are 2.0l Vanagon welded intake and exhaust ports, 50 * 40 nimonic valves, compression 7 : 1, 6 studded, bigger oil galleries, oil pump with 50 mm gears on the pressure side, special oil pressue limiting valve and a T belt driven dry sump pump from the Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft ( DTM ) C class Mercedes. Counterweighted crank, lightened and polished rods from Ahnendorp ( original 2.0l ), Type 1 lifters also from Ahnendorp with sleeved lifter bores and shuffle pinned case. Special head studs and modified cylinders to ensure proper sealing. Pistons and cylinders are mahle 103mm units and can also be sourced through Ahnendorp. The engine has seen many high speed chases and always stayed cool. Recent engine check showed that all internals were like new, it got reassembled and destroyed the transmission. Reason for selling is, he`s got a buisness now and just doesn`t have the time or the nerves to work on it and not that he got tired of it !?

Later
Old February 16th 2005, 06:56

Cool, excellent info!
Just seeing how many fabricated parts that engine has, I could imagine that at some point, one may get tired of constantly having to adapt and improve your design and work on the engine and/or trans.
Glad I was wrong
Your post is very inspiring to most of us, as 103's scare a lot of type 4 enthousiasts and to turbo it is almost unimaginable to most. Its a pity in that respect that we don't hear from Russ Fellows his friend here anymore.

Could you give us some info on how he modified the cylinders themselves for better sealing?
Oh, and how he increased the diameter of the internal oil pasages? That must be very complicated
And: does he use the 4 into 1 42mm header from Bernd ?
How is the oil returned from under the turbo to the case?

BTW I still love the look and the way that Riechert cooling system works. Jake never tested it, but I am sure it gives very even cooling, just because of the design. The extra power loss of the angled fan belt is surely no issue for this engine

Thanks,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; February 16th 2005 at 07:04.
Old February 17th 2005, 04:36

Hi Walter,
Yes, he used the 42 mm header in stainless from Bernd. And no, this is not a Riechert setup in the picture. I built this fan setup 1989 because I wanted to fit a G60 charger to my 2 L and the only way to accomodate it in the engine bay was to relocate the fan. The steel plate in the front is 5 mm thick and bolts up to the four 8 mm threads in the block. The small pulleys on top are of a Peugeot 305 engine which has the alternator relocated from factory.
All that needed to be done next was making a bracket for the alternator to the block and making the moulds for the shroud. This is exactly what I`m working on at the moment, only with aluminium shrouds for better heat transfer. Fibreglass and carbon seem to keep the engine a tad warmer
The mods to the oil galleries included getting rid of the original plugs and then
drilling them (galleries) out on a CNC machine @ AMG ( the same machine that machined my caliper brackets). He wanted the most possible oil supply
( volume) and even though they are bigger inside the pressure is higher too through the big geared pump and special oil pressure control valve. As for the turbo oil return, it used to get sucked out through an electric pump but got included in the dry sump system now due to that electric pump failing (temp).
The mahle 103 mm piston and cylinder set is top notch as you probably know and a lot of guys drive them for years and years without problems. One of my friends rebuilt his engine after 7 years and all that was needed was a set of bearings and a gasket set, and yes he drives it regularly and hard.
The 6 stud setup is from PTP and the cylinders have had 2 small sharp lips machined into the top, looks almost like 2 small hair. Hope I didn`t bore you to death

Later
Old February 17th 2005, 05:50

hi

Hi Guys, just lettting you know I still come on here on a daily basis to check whats happening in the real t4 world

The reason for not posting much is lack of reason, any more than I've posted would be spam ,I dont like getting into the "my things bigger than yours" situation which often happens

I suppose an update is in order tho' Russ finished the season runner up in the VWDRC championship Pro class, his motor is still together still doesn't blow the heads off.
I suppose there's only so much you can say about using big cylinders before it gets tedious. when I say you can use 104mm on the street,turboed and they wont blow, noone has to believe it.
But when someone says you cant then I feel i have to correct them as I have real life experience of it.
BTW cylinder sealing on Russ' is the same as Martin's (great minds I think)
Same with cooling Porsche fan setups have been used for decades now and like all things they are popular for good reason.

BTW have you seen the sealing surface of 96's or T1 94's? they are like a cookie cutter the walls are so thin.
Using Porsche heads has allowed better airflow, better combustion shape,better exhaust design and better clamping capacity on the cylinders.

Wally you need to do it man!! its not too hard you're half way there already

Back to browsing mode Paul
Old February 17th 2005, 07:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ Vier
Hope I didn`t bore you to death

Later
You know better than that
Thanks man! Using the dry sump pump to suck the oil return from the turbo is bl**dy smart. Simple things usually are
Hope you inform us some more in the future of this and your own project engine!

MfG,
Walter
Old February 17th 2005, 07:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobtail
Hi Guys, just lettting you know I still come on here on a daily basis to check whats happening in the real t4 world
Great to have you still around. Glad I could trigger you to participate again

Funny thing is, a friend of mine (and also a member here) showed me a set of an old, but still never used mahle 103mm set. Wall thickness at the head was a stunning 5,0 mm! I think that a great deal of the experienced troubles therefore probably ly into the poor quality steel and thinner linings of the cheaper US made 103mm sets, without wanting to discuss to merits and pitfalls of the steel 103 sets all over again, caus I do also see the potential problems with them.
Quote:
Wally you need to do it man!! its not too hard you're half way there already
Haha, yeah, you make it sound so easy. I guess you mean s/th like this:
http://www.blocket.se/view/4305270.h...l=0&c=1&city=0
For the 'big' motor, I save my efforts for the apfelbeck heads. Otherwise it would lead to too many projects and nothing gets finished...
Quote:
Back to browsing mode Paul
Hope not, because I almost forgot your name there

Thanks Paul,
Walter
Old February 19th 2005, 15:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typ Vier
Hope I didn`t bore you to death

Later
NO!! I love this technical information of the real upper-engines that drive almost DAILY ON THE STREETS!!

Wiebrand

p.s. the same as Wally said.. also let us now more from your own project.

Last edited by Racelook; February 22nd 2005 at 04:40.
Old February 21st 2005, 23:35

Hi,
I`m working on a 54 NZ assembled beetle with IRS for the last 5 years and it looks like it`ll be at least another year till finished. Got 2 engines on the go, 1832 daily driver and a 2366 for whenever required. Car was very rusty and only making slowly progress. Haven`t got much time to spend on it as we have a little daughter now that gets all attention. Engine in the picture is not finished as the heads are just spare ones to check the fitment in engine bay.
Got all parts together to assemble both engines but body and paintwork needs to be done first.

Later
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear.jpg (51.3 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Body.jpg (46.6 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg Roof.jpg (42.8 KB, 57 views)
Old February 22nd 2005, 03:19

Hello Andreas,
Cool project! Love the rims as well. They look like 18"GT3 rims
Thanks!
Walter