GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 21st 2005, 11:48

Heater Idea

Here is THE question:
Assuming that your engine has j-tubes (ie no heat exchangers for keeping you warm in the winter), what would you use as a heat source?

except an eberspacher heater...( they quoted me 800 euros just for the kit, so its out of the question)
Actually an eberspacher unit will be my veeeeeery last opion as i would like to be more creative... and i dont like the idea of going through another winter without a heater...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old April 21st 2005, 18:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1303
except an eberspacher heater...( they quoted me 800 euros just for the kit, so its out of the question)
Chris
Joooooo..

You ever heard of second hand things?? Not new (used) eberspacher are not that much.. I've bought mine for less than 100 euro with pump. I have to check everything, buy an thermostaat, put new hoses on it and it's ready to roll.

Greetings Wiebrand
Old April 22nd 2005, 05:22

There are two problem trying to find a second hand eberspacher:

1 While back home in Greece there are NO such systems due to the fact that winter is not that bad, with the stock heating system you are kind of ok, but in Netherlands Im sure you get frosted every winter. So its more common to see such things in NL than in GR.

2 Im a student in the UK and I dont have the way (car) to go here and there to find bits and pieces...

3I want to be creative... Racelook what happened to you? You found the easy way? Lets get creative guys.

Actually I have the Idea im just trying to see what would you do...

Chris

Old April 22nd 2005, 07:27

A few years ago I saw an oil fed heater in a catalogue, I believe it was europa or somethink like that.

I think it was basically an oil cooler within an enclosed box, which had an electric fan to force air through it.

Not sure how well it would work, but may be worth considering.
Old April 22nd 2005, 08:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle1303
Racelook what happened to you? You found the easy way? Lets get creative guys.
I hoped it yeah... no no, the eberspacher is not the type that were made for VW's it's just an universal eberspacher. So I have to make an bracket somewhere and an hole for the exhaust somewhere.. so there must come something creative before everything fits real nice..

Lots of suc6

Wiebrand
Old April 22nd 2005, 09:17
Administrator

Try putting a dry sump tank in the passenger compartment. My tank is mounted behind the drivers seat and it gives off some nice heat ... good or bad depending on how hot it is in the summer where you live.

Sandeep
Old April 22nd 2005, 10:33

Novel method of heating and additional cooling.

Audi 200T injector cooling fan provides the blow and kjet air boxes from a golf 2 diesel provide the enclosure.
Old April 23rd 2005, 20:50

try 2 12volt hair dryers when i was in school and had my first VW . it was a 70 baja 1776 with chrome tri-mil exhaust no heater boxes and my primary means of transport . i wired 2 12volt hair dryers under the hood (in the trunk) . i would start my car on a cold morning hit the toggle switch and let tem run for about 10min plenty of heat for the trip to school as well as one hell of a defrost
Old April 24th 2005, 19:12

Actually I was thinking of a oil cooler enclosed in a box of some sort, but the hot air will be directed to the outside when the heater is off. something like the regulators on the stock heat exchangers. along with this i was thinking of one or two heating elements from 12v har dryers along with their fans to boost air temp and give me some airspeed adjustability until the oil is warmed up and the oil thermostat opens.

Chris

Old April 30th 2005, 12:37

I've had the idea to make a box, or use the existing fresh air box under the hood. Remove the fan inside, line it with some thin sheet aluminum, and enclose it around a heat gun element. also add 2 in-line fans (small enough to fit inside the exits of the fresh air box) Seems like it would work, but I don't know enough about electrical components to really be sure. My guess is that that the heater element would draw way to much amps, and would really only work with a 75 or more alternator, and even then, only for a short amount of time.
Old June 4th 2005, 13:23

Weld 3 inch exhaust pipes over the J-tubes and hook up the old heater hoses. Not as hot as the stock ones, but far better that nothing.

The electrical solution might starve your gen and if you use the extra oilcooler, the engine might run to cool in the winter.

Or just search for 2.nd hand ebers. I bought mine for 20 Euros, changed the fuse and it started...

/Patrik

Last edited by 73rustbucket; June 4th 2005 at 13:26.
Old June 4th 2005, 19:47

Chile hot hot hot.

I live in Texas so I wear a leather jacket and keep my coffee thermos between my legs.
Apart from that...any marine heater will work....Try a local boating supply store.
Where ever you live...England, Greece, Nova Scotia...It always gets cold at sea.
There are many brands of heater for small boats which are essentially the same as an eberspacher...and much cheaper.