GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 26th 2006, 11:47

Salt Flat Oval. 1957/1974 Oval:Story and Q's

I have been a member here for a while. I lurk a lot. I am a teacher in Southern Indiana and have been doing Beetles/Rails since the 80's. Anyway, early in the semester a student told me that his grandfather had an old Beetle that had a 'shed' fall down on it. He said the roof was messed up and I could probably get it cheap. I figured 'rusty Super'. It turned out to be a BEAUTIFUL 74 Standard. It belonged to a Dr. Garaged it's whole life and JUST had a new interior put in when the owner sold it to the students grandfather. There were nine cars in the garage. A chopped steel 32 Coupe, a 1964 Mustang Convertible, a 46 Ford Convertible a 1952 Mercedes Convertible and many others. He restored the other cars and decided that the Beetle was not worth fixing. He then put it in the corner of the garage. That was 14 years ago. The car is rust free and gorgeous. The roof is SLIGHTLY tweaked. I popped most of it out. It is just a little crumpled near the back window. I have debated whether to fix the car or not. It has been quite a quandary. But with my budget and my desires for what I want the Oval to be, I have decided, I am using the Chassis for my Oval. It will be a salt flat looking oval(outside) and modern/reliable underneath and inside- I want it to handle well and be reliable. I am saving the original pan from the Oval. I am going to put the 74 body on the Ovals pan and store them (unless someone is interested in a rust free 74 Body). Now, THE QUESTIONS. My oval has NO switches/wires/wiper motor. I am considering transferring all of this from the 74 to the Oval. maybe even the 100mph speedo that is in the 74 and the steering column. Will the switches/gauge/column/wiper motor fit in my Oval? Will the door panels /1/4 panels fit? It will already have the NICE seats from the 74 (weird 3-post) that match the door panels. I do not mind that it will not 'look' right (high backs-black switches etc), I just wonder if it will work. Thanks for any help. Because everyone likes pics here is my rust free Oval. BTW, I pick it up from the paint shop tomorrow. It is a now a dark green satin finish. It will have Moons and stock side trim. Shaved trim for the hood. Cal-look rubber. Chrome t-bars. 195/50/15's and 4-wheel discs. (Kits for me, none of the Porsche hi-tech hi $$$ you guys do. I guess I am just a weenie...) Here is my Oval, garaged since 1963, I have been trying to buy it since 1986 and the owner sold it to me just a few months ago.
Thanks for any help. I know you guys do retrofitting factory stuff so this seemed a natural for the experts here.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oval.jpg (41.1 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg ovalrear.jpg (44.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg ovalinterior.jpg (49.7 KB, 68 views)