GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old November 25th 2005, 01:20

Painting calipers and decals

I'm tearing down both front and rear suspensions to install my 901 and to finish my 944T brake conversion. Everything is going to be cleaned up and painted before final assembly. So here are my questions:

-Without tearing the caliper completely apart (unless I have to) can I paint them with caliper paint and heat them per the paint's instuctions without destroying the seals?

-I don't like the Porsche insignas on any of my parts (its a bug not a porsche). The calipers that I'm using have the Porsche letters raised on them. I was going to grind them off prior to painting them.....then use a Volkswagen decal for them. Does anyone know where I can find a Volkswagen decal for the calipers?
Old November 28th 2005, 05:49

this is a good question.I am doing the same conversion and was thinking of doing exactly the same. I was thinking to use powder coating to paint the calipers. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does the powder coating resist brake fluids and high temp? I am also looking for a volkswagen decal....

Friendly regards,

Tom De Coster
Old November 28th 2005, 22:37

I believe that powder coating will resist the "high temps" of the calipers, since it can be found on exhaust parts...

Now, for the decal i have no clue at all...

but im troubled because the calipers i have need detailing (930 with fins).
I was thinking of painting them red (as they were) but taking the paint of the fin ends to make them look trick... My concern is that if the paint will start deteriorating because of the elements and the fact that it wont cover all the surface....

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old November 29th 2005, 09:13

contact a buddy of mine at EuroPDR. he has Porsche ones made for calipers and therefore can create Volkswagen ones. he just needs an example, size, and an order. tell him i sent you. if there is enough demand on this thread, i will order a bunch at a bulk rate discount and resell through the site.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old November 29th 2005, 15:59

beetle1303

I believe you are thinking of ceramic coating, not powder coating for the exhaust systems. Powder coating is applied in an oven, but no where near the 1300 deg C that an exhaust system can reach.

Check out Eastwoods, as they sell a home powder coating system that you bake in an old oven. I plan to use this to convert my 944 disc from black to red. I would defiantly disassemble the calipers before powder coating them in any case. I suspect you wouldn't have to disassemble them if you were only painting them.

As for the logo, as my thinking is that a sticker would peal off after the first couple of brake applications. A better solution would be to have it silk-screened onto the caliper, but I am not certain as to how durable that would be either.

Cheers,

Doug
Old November 30th 2005, 03:04

sorry my mistake... got confused after many hours studying...wont happen again

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old December 2nd 2005, 01:28

Does anyone have any experience with the porsche or other make decals....do they last or do they peel off? Zen....I'll email your contact and mention the above question. I was also thinking of just making a stencil and painting the "Volkswagen" logo using Hi-temp paint.....has anyone done this before?