GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old November 26th 2002, 17:58

Post "trunk mounted battery

I plan on moving the battery to under the hood to help with better weight distribution and was wondering what the best or most common way of routing the cables is ? on the inside of the car or underneath or ........?
Old November 26th 2002, 19:24

You can either route them next to the heater channel and go up to the trunk in the corner you could route them thru the roof channel covered by the headliner like the old cars.
I think it depends on how much you want to hide the cables.

Alex
Old November 27th 2002, 16:02

Hi on one of my cars brought the cable down from the trunk along the door frame and ran cables along the drivers side floor right along the heater channel. I covered the cables in the black corrigated tubing and used black Ty Wraps to fasten to the heater channel. I did it on the drivers side because I am aware it is there and never have a problem hitting it with my foot. After always having problems with the inside floor mounted brake line rusting out, I also ran a new line several inches above the original line. This prevents moisture from the floor rusting it alway. Any time I replace any steel on the car I replace it with stainless steel. Check out my site and then go to photos of my car and you can see the stainless floors.
http://home.att.net/~nextgen
Joe Cali
Old November 30th 2002, 01:19

You will need to use larger cable as the battery is a long way from the starter. The starter pulls more current than any thing else on the car. If you can't find a long enough cable at a car parts store go to a welding outlet. They have flexible cable of large diameter and almost any length. I hope to mount mine under the passenger seat in a box. Allowing that it will fit.