GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old January 10th 2006, 08:53

Type 3 porsche front brakes

As my new front disk on my Type 3 squareback got warped just after 10.000 miles of daily driving, I really wanted to investigate the possibility of upgrading the front brakes with vented disks and slightly bigger calipers.

Here's a pic or two of the progress on my square front brakes so far:

The caliper is an alu 964 rear one (Brembo) with 44mm cups. Stock '71 type 3 is 42mm, so it balances nicely with the upgraded rear 944 N/A disk/calipers (38mm).
Disk is a 944 turbo rear rotor, 24mm thick, just what the 964 caliper needs.

I will now go design/make the adapter for the calipers, because only now I can measure it accurately, but it already fits nicely.
To my surprise, the stock backing plate can remain, although clearence is (very) tight. It may have to go if it drags while driving, but for now, it can stay:

The center pieces were the remains of my 'original' 5-bolt rotors. They serve very nicely as hubs for the rotors. The hubs is turned down just enough, so that it centers in the disk. Very cool.
I went through the entire porsche (Zimmermann) disk catalog, so its not really by coincidance that the disk fits the way it does, but you will always have to wait and see...

The original edge for centering the porsche rims, is also still high enough (tried that already), even with the extra 5mm thick rotor against it.

I am very pleased with the results so far

Greetings,
Walter

Last edited by Wally; January 10th 2006 at 08:58.
Old January 15th 2006, 19:49

Great Job, Can't wait to see the final results.

Lanner
Old January 16th 2006, 04:55

Thanks Lanner,

As it turns out, the room around a type 3 spindle is very cramped and I hardly have any room to make some sort of adapter with enough safety margin to bolt the 964 C2 rear caliper on to...

So, I will need a radially mounted caliper after all...The Boxster rear ones are the smallest I could find, so they'll have to do.
Depending on brake balance, the C2 calipers will maybe go to the rear...

Greets,
Walter
Old January 20th 2006, 18:17

Walter,

I was gonna do something similar. A boxster front rotor with a 944T rear caliper. I was going to use a drum spindles, so that gives me some room to fabricate a caliper bracket (aswell as provide mounting holes for the bracket).

Can you get a drum spindle for a type 3?

What about chopping off the existing ears on the disk spindle and upping the backing plate holes (from M6 to M10) and using those as a pick-up for a fabricated caliper bracket?

Easy,
Lanner
Old January 21st 2006, 06:16

Hi Lanner,

The drum spindles were only on the 5x205 pre-66 cars IIRC, but I guess you could also modify your existing spindle.

However, its my daily ride and for some reason I rather not cut-up the existing spindle Maybe, just very maybe I want to return to the original set-up someday..I dunno.

BTW, I think any front/rear combo of a (front engined) porsche is quickly too much front biased on a bug or any other aircooled old vw. At least thats my feeling after having tried and used a few combinations. It is often difficult to predict what combo is close to ideal with regard to bias (also influenced by sliding versus 2-pot and 4-pot calipers with different pad sizes), but my conclusion is that you can usually have more rear brake than one would expect.
This is of course dangerously if you end up with a combo that can lock in the rear first, so (to everybody else: ) be carefull!

Thanks for your input Lanner!
Walter
Old April 10th 2006, 02:39

Is that a custom hub? If so, who makes it?

-Ryan
Old April 10th 2006, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally

The center pieces were the remains of my 'original' 5-bolt rotors. They serve very nicely as hubs for the rotors. The hubs have been turned down just enough, so that it centers in the disk.
That info was already there...

However, since I sold the square with its original brake set-up, the above 'project' has been abandoned.
If the hubs of a type 1/3 aren't thesame as a 412 bearing hub, I will sell them probably.

Best regards,
Walter
Old April 10th 2006, 09:21

Hi

I know that you have sold your car, but soemone might be able to use this info. What you said about cutting off the caliper ears on the stub, thats what I did on my 1302.

Steve

Old April 11th 2006, 20:19

Thumbs up

Hi Walter,

thats exactly what I have used for hubs here http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5103

Good job!

Andreas