GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 22nd 2009, 12:53

what size for ultimate handerling?

few changes happerning with my race car.
going from the 8x15 and 9x15 split rims with full slicks to some road legal rubber.
got a few options but am having a hard time working out what is going to be best.
this is a pure race car but i want it road legal so i cna do testing and shake downs esayer.
the modern trend is to go for the biggest rim you can fit with low profile rubber as aposed to the old school way of a smaller wheel with a higher sidewall.
i need to keep the rolling radius up so it wont mess with the gearing to much so a tyre between 600mm and 640mm is needed
that means 205 60 15/225 45 17

looking at the smaller super rally cars there all running 17/18 rims and super stiff suspension. have aroud the same wieght 750kg but not as much power. i have 150bhp@ wheels.

but looking at the classic porsche rally cars there all on 15" rims with a higher sidewall, i know that the regs mean you cant have low profile tyre.

what i need to work out is in a pure performance term will a 17" tyre and wheel be quicker than 15" one?
car is used for hill climbs and sprints so i need a super sticky tyre and very fast direction changes which lead me to the 17" set up. but talking to a few folk who say that i need some sidewall to allow me to gain some mechanical grip, which means the 15" route.

16" is not a option as the tyres i want to run are ether 15 or 17.

very confusing subject but any ideas?

cheers rob