GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 22nd 2010, 18:18

Dave polishing the roof of the v8 bug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-blUH5a8OE
Old December 6th 2010, 19:13

I haven't got a whole lot done lately cause of life. I did manage to get the wipers on, starting masking the floor for coating, and my bro bought me some carpet for Christmas, which will go in soon.

I also got some pictures and video of the bug outside, finally.

Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kASOEL-9g2o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuS_oqo7zg4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIljjUk-IZI

Last edited by V8SuperBeetle; December 8th 2010 at 11:27.
Old December 6th 2010, 19:13

Double Post

Last edited by V8SuperBeetle; December 7th 2010 at 18:20. Reason: Double Post
Old December 9th 2010, 12:16

Sounds healthy! There are a few V8 bugs out there but they look like they´ve been thrown together - yours looks very well done and it sits right.Great job!! Next video....please take the tools out of the back!!
Old December 9th 2010, 14:48

Thanks! Next video I record the bug should be complete and will have nothing in the back to rattle. That you can hear nothing but the engine.

I've seen quite a few of the thrown together bugs you're talking about. Only over the web though. I have seen some really well done too. Mine didn't come out too shabby for it being a garage build.
Old December 20th 2010, 13:00

Time for an update.

I coated the interior flooring and the under chassis with some Master Series. I installed my locking hood pins, my 2" solid aluminum lowering blocks and I finished the install of the one piece windows on both doors.

All that's left, other than small item things, is to wire up the car (lights / signals only cause everything else is done) and install the carpet.

Also, I took the car for a test drive last night cause I was curious as to how it sounds inside without a bunch of parts laying around the car and with all the windows in. All I could hear was the sound of the engine and the rumble of the exhaust. It was pretty sweet.

Some pics of the undercoating. I forgot to take pics of the front and undercarriage.

Here are the 2" blocks from JTR.com. Solid aluminum blocks. Not that extruded hollow crap that could break. It's amazing how much difference a 2" drop made in the rear. The rear is still about 3/4" higher which is perfect, to me.

The hardware is heavy duty too. Notice how tall the nuts are.

Some pics of the rear with the blocks. Made a big difference IMO.

And the one piece windows installed. Doors fully done. The one piece windows are kinda a PITA. I like the look, but I'm not sure I like how they function all that much because they want to pull the rubber inside the door when I roll them down. I hit them with a little WD-40 temporarily, but I'll have to figure something else out so my windows aren't always greasy when I roll them down.

I had some trouble installing them. The guy that sold me my new regulators said I needed 65-67 regulators for the one piece kit. Nope! Well, they wouldn't work cause the glass would hit the regulator on it's way down keeping it from rolling down at all. So I had to reuse the old ones and I modified the window scraper for the one piece windows. Works pretty good now.

The new dual roller regulator I wish would've worked. The window crank mechanism was too long.

Here's the modified window holder / scraper. I basically had to roll the window all the way up, then install the glass. If you install it while the window is rolled down it wont go up cause the regulator pushes the glass up at an angle.

Here's a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrY2vVlCNjw

One piece windows.

The finished doors. I couldn't install the are rests, well, cause the door bars are in the way. Hind sight is 20/20. I'm going to fabricate some pull straps so it'll be easier to close the doors instead of having to grab the window. Oh yeah, can't roll the windows down unless the doors are open either. LOL. They'll pretty much stay down while I'm rolling any ways.

It's not a garage build unless you got a lawnmower in the pics. LOL

Locking hood pins installed.

Here you can see the painted flooring.

Almost there.
Old December 20th 2010, 13:01

Double post, again. Sorry. For some reason I only post once, but it double posts...?

Last edited by V8SuperBeetle; December 20th 2010 at 15:59.
Old December 20th 2010, 15:43

You've got a double post there^

This thing looks awesome!! It must feel good to get to this point.

I don't have one piece windows and I have the same problem with the rubbers folding down when you roll the window down. Mine are new rubbers from wolfsburg west. The key to mine working well is actually keeping them dry, try some type of powder on them. When I was in Vancouver and it was raining all the time they were way worse.

Mike
Old December 20th 2010, 16:02

Thanks, Mike. I notice it got much worse after I clean my windows with some windex. That's when I just sprayed a bead of WD. That worked okay, but it makes my windows greasy. So when I wipe the grease off, they start catching again, but not as bad.

I'll see if some talc powder or something will work. You would think they would put felt or something in these things to keep them from sticking like modern window scrappers.
Old December 20th 2010, 17:30

Some of the one piece window kits here came with seals that are lined on the sliding face with felt, they work MUCH better and are worth seeking out...
Old December 21st 2010, 11:31

What I'm going to do is buy some black felt and glue some inside the scrappers. That would be easier than finding a kit with one.
Old December 21st 2010, 11:44

V8,

Been following your build, and must say, most impressed.. Quick quesiton for you?

As your finishing, did you have any issues with how you mounted the alternator to the bulkhead... and the motor rumbling? Looks like it may tighten up or loosen tension..

I know you talked about the approach early in the posts, but was curious if it ever became an issue?

VR
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old December 27th 2010, 17:04

Thank you. The bulkhead mounted alternator works great. No problems with it cause the engine is solid mounted. I've put about 50 miles on the car so far and most of that has be opening her up some.
Old February 2nd 2011, 14:17

Hey guys! I hope everyone's builds are going well.

Just poppin' in to update everyone. While I'm taking me a breather from the project I've started an O/T project. The only reason this is able to happen is because I'm selling my current gigging amp to fund the project.

I'm build a 50's era Fender Tweed Deluxe guitar tube amplifier from scratch. This is my first amp build and I'm doing it from scratch. I will be hand building my own cabinet and hand selecting each part that goes into this build. This amp will become my primary gigging amp. I play 2-3 a times month in a cover band and I feel this amp will fit the bill.

My tools and budget is fairly limited so I'll be building the cabinet with hand tools and will be borrowing a couple tools here and there from buddies / work to complete this project.

Here is the start of the cabinet. I'm using solid pine for the cab and birch ply for the baffle boards.

Here's how the finished product will look.

I drafted out all the cuts onto the wood and then cut the pieces on the table saw here at work. I'm currently working on hand cutting the dovetail joints. It's going okay. The joints fit together tightly and make a strong joint, but it's not as pretty as dovetail joints done by someone more experienced or by machine tools. That's okay though. It'll be my creation and I'm enjoying the build so far. I've built a few car sub cabs before and I was always best at covering the cab with carpet. So the end results should come out looking nice. I'll definitely be taking my time with this one.

I'm still mauling over certain mods for the layout of the circuitry and getting advice from more experience people. Whatever route I choose to go, it should be a pretty versatile amp for my needs.
Old February 2nd 2011, 14:19

Hey guys! I hope everyone's builds are going well.

Just poppin' in to update everyone. While I'm taking me a breather from the project I've started an O/T project. The only reason this is able to happen is because I'm selling my current gigging amp to fund the project.

I'm build a 50's era Fender Tweed Deluxe guitar tube amplifier from scratch. This is my first amp build and I'm doing it from scratch. I will be hand building my own cabinet and hand selecting each part that goes into this build. This amp will become my primary gigging amp. I play 2-3 a times month in a cover band and I feel this amp will fit the bill.

My tools and budget is fairly limited so I'll be building the cabinet with hand tools and will be borrowing a couple tools here and there from buddies / work to complete this project.

Here is the start of the cabinet. I'm using solid pine for the cab and birch ply for the baffle boards.

Here's how the finished product will look.

I drafted out all the cuts onto the wood and then cut the pieces on the table saw here at work. I'm currently working on hand cutting the dovetail joints. It's going okay. The joints fit together tightly and make a strong joint, but it's not as pretty as dovetail joints done by someone more experienced or by machine tools. That's okay though. It'll be my creation and I'm enjoying the build so far. I've built a few car sub cabs before and I was always best at covering the cab with carpet. So the end results should come out looking nice. I'll definitely be taking my time with this one.

I'm still mauling over certain mods for the layout of the circuitry and getting advice from more experience people. Whatever route I choose to go, it should be a pretty versatile amp for my needs.