GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old July 19th 2010, 10:37

Heat without heater boxes

Hi

I've fitted A-1 sidewinder headers to my daily/sons car, great headers with good ground clearance.

I wanted to get heat back into the car and I had various thoughts ranging from electric heaters and using an internally mounted oil cooler under the rear seat and running oil though it and blow the warm air down the heater channels, just like I did with my WBX bug only I was using water then.

I like the idea of blowing through the original heater channels so that heat can be put on the screen for demisting.

So I've made a coolant filled heat exchanger that fits around one of the J tubes and I will circulate the coolant with an electric water pump

I won a heater unit from a Nissan 180 sx on Ebay, $20.50 last of the big spenders. It looks like it will do the job.

The a heater unit from the Nissan on eBay is huge, I've managed to cut off all the bits I don't need so its small enough to fit under the tray I've made up to replace the back seat.

I'm incorporating a header tank with a radiator cap so it doesn't go nuclear if too much pressure builds up in the system.

More to follow as I get it running

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nissan heater.jpg (29.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg heater.jpg (79.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg heater.1.jpg (84.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg heater.2.jpg (74.7 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg EBP-B-9002.jpg (9.6 KB, 37 views)
Old July 19th 2010, 11:30

Interesting idea, I think the heat exchanger will be the biggest source of problems... Did you consider getting some 10mm ish pipe and winding it in a coil around the exhaust pipe to get the heat? I think if you heat wrapped it before and after winding the coild that should keep heat in the tube but not give too much of a shock to the system. I'd prefer to get the lines up front and not put all the heat cycling inside the heater channels as that is how they rot here (I guess you may not have the same problem?)
Old July 19th 2010, 12:00

I tried an external oil cooler installed above the gearbox, plumbed into the engine oil system with ducts leading to the heater channel.
I then used a two speed blower fan to push air through the cooler.
It did produce nice heat but over cooled the engine oil, so i have gone back to electric heaters under the dash of my 03 cab.
It gives the porsche alternator something to do, and does provide some heat to your feet, even in a drafty cabrio.
I like Ricola's idea though, might have to investigate that one.
Old July 19th 2010, 18:58

Hi

I've made up the heat exchanger, I have a friend welding it up for me now. Its a piece 3 inch exhaust pipe, cut length ways so that it forms a C, then a bit of 1 3/4 cut the same way and laid inside and capped at the ends.

We don't have many issues of heater tubes rusting, must be something to do with climate.

Steve
Old July 23rd 2010, 19:41

Hi all,

In my 1303 convertible, I've gone the eberspaecher way with an original kit that fits great to the car...

I've gone skiing this winter and by 3°C, roof down and wind deflector up, Life was great with a light jacket...

I still have the heater boxes and driving with both heaters open is just not an option as the car becomes a sauna in a few seconds...

I was a bit pricy but god it feels good to have heat on demand in the car...

Seb
Old July 26th 2010, 07:04

Hi

We never got the eberspaecher heaters down here so they would be pretty rare and expensive.

I just picked up my heat exchanger, going to hook it soon as were going to a huge VW show about 6 - 7 hours drive up the coast on Thursday, leaving at 4.30 am which should test out the heater, its winter down here, not that its ever that cold, its about 9 degrees Celsius now at 9.00 pm at night. I guess its what you get acclimatised to.

Its very rare for the heater channels to rust out down here on a bug.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heat exh.jpg (79.3 KB, 43 views)
Old July 27th 2010, 10:04

Hi

The fan unit I bought is from a Nissan 180 , the speed is very impressive, it nearly took off from the bench when I hooked it up, I'm going to run a slow speed through a ballast resistor and high speed when needed, there was a fan resistor attached to housing but it didn't seem to alter the speed at all, maybe it was used in conjunction with climate control.

I'm not a fan of smelly heaters so this solution should alleviate that issue, another problem we struck in extremely wet weather was after going through a puddle we had an instant sauna with 0 visibility, not nice at 100 kph.

Its all together now, but its too late to start the car up now to see if it heats up OK, fan and pump are working fine.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg heater.8.jpg (81.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg heater.7.jpg (83.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg heater.6.jpg (80.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg heater.5.jpg (80.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg heater.4.jpg (77.7 KB, 43 views)