GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Classifieds > For Sale

Old November 19th 2006, 16:27

German Look 1974 1303 Karmann Cabriolet

Nut and bolt restoration built in the German/Euro look style using where possible NOS parts or best quality repro.

Car was owned since the mid eighties by a German fella who brought it with him to Guernsey when he moved here with his job. I bought it four years ago and started a ground up/body off restoration. I had originally intended to build it to factory spec but as it seemed that just about anyone could own a Karmann Cab in this guise I decided to build her as a German looker. Retro Restos in Guernsey carried out the restoration work to a very high standard (reproducing factory welds etc…).

Body: Unfortunately the car had sat at the side of the previous owners house with a slashed roof for two years prior to my finding her and as such the left side heater channel needed to be repaired along with the battery tray area. The rear bumper hangers were replaced but this was more us being fussy as we wanted to cut out any metal that showed even the slightest sign of corrosion. Once all the repairs were carried out the car was sprayed in Cliff Green/Apple Green, which has to be the most striking colour for a German looker.

Floorpan & Running Gear: This was stripped, blasted and painted in Rustoleum to give it a super hard long lasting finish. The gearbox was inspected and reassembled with new CV joints and mounts. The engine is from what I can see a VEGE unit. I’m an engineer by trade so, as a precaution, I removed & overhauled the heads, honed the barrels and reassembled the unit using new rings, gaskets & seals. I then rebuilt & fitted a Weber progressive carb and an electronic ignition (no ruddy points!). All control cables where also renewed. The rear has been lowered one outer spline and sits on Koni reds whilst the front suspension utilises Kersher slimline adjustable struts. Steering system fully overhauled with new track rod ends fitted. Up-rated front and rear anti roll bars and urethane bushes throughout complete the suspension set up. The wheels are genuine 17 Porsche Cup 3s fitted with low profile Pirelli 7000s.

Interior: Recaro front seats with black leatherette bolsters with black cloth inserts. Rear seat trimmed to match. New door cards front and rear, new seat belts all new seals clips winders etc… Top quality grey carpet set laid over a lot of sound deadening material. Hurst style Empi shifter and a genuine Porsche steering wheel + much more I’m sure.

Exterior: All seals renewed, restored hood frame (stripped & painted in Rustoleum) Top quality Sonnenland (Mercedes Material) fabric hood and bag, new roof padding and a black headliner. De-chromed, blacked side frames, trim-less rubber for the front and rear screens, stripped and painted door, boot and bonnet handles. New blackened side trim etc…Oh the bumpers were also professionally de-chromed and then pained body colour.

There must be many more NOS or new parts fitted on this car but I’m all of a boggle now so for Further details and pictures etc…please contact me at kip@cwgsy.net

I will help arrange shipping if Buyer overseas, at your cost.

Oh yeah and most if not all the bolts were chemically blackened as I didn’t want any shiny bits spoiling the look…yep I’m a bit of a nut like that!

£9000 or best offer