GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 20th 2003, 10:18

Question Type IV + Heat?

Are you guys running heat with your Type IVs? Is this even an option in a Type I?

My last beetle didn't have heat, and this would be a nice feature for when it gets nippy outside.

Thanks.

-Craig
Old January 20th 2003, 10:43

In my last engine (1995 cc T4 with 44/38 valves, 'H' grind cam) I had shortened VW411/412 heater boxes, connected to the porsche shroud and ducted into the original bug pipes and all, with a BAS 4 in 1 header (this is a 40 mm diameter) and dual BAS silencers.
This worked pretty well. Didn't feel like it restricted the top revs at all (5950 revs in 4th with 3,875 differential and 0,93 4th gear: i.e. a stock 1303S 'AT' trans and 225/50/16 tires).

For my new engine, I will use no heater boxes, but just a header (BAS 42 mm diameter stainless) and same (now also SS) silencers, but with a 'Eberspracher BN4 standheizung' = small aftermarket gasheater with timer (also sold for use in other cars). I still have to install this, but it have to find a smart place for it. Maybe adjacent to the battery location).

Hope you get the ideas rolling for yourself as well.
Good luck,
Walter
Old January 20th 2003, 12:53

I have LOTS of lovely heat and a 2L t4 motor...
I can even have the heat on before I start my engine

The answer is an Eberspacher. its a petrol fired cab heater... LOTS of heat. Gonna get the remote control option for it before next winter, look out the window in the morning... Cars frosty... Push a button on the remote and the heater fires up for 10 mins... Thermostat controlled so it wont get too hot

Cya,
Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old January 20th 2003, 19:46
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

If you're building a fairly mild engine, a set of heater boxes off of a 411 or 412 would provide some heat and shouldn't hurt performance too much.

If you need a set, I've got some better than new ones :-)

Charles
Old January 22nd 2003, 04:40

Charles, those 411/412 heater boxes would be considered pre-heaters for the original gas heater in those cars. Would that be correct??. I bought from a local Pick Your Part a set of those boxes, but the surrounding tin on those was destroyed by rust. If I were to recreate that sheet metal enclosure, do you think that here in California it would be a sufficient heat source??.

Thanks,

Eddie.
Old January 22nd 2003, 09:48
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Most definately! Shad was running those "pre-heaters" only on his ghia and was more than sufficient except on chilly IL days :-)

Charles