GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old September 23rd 2009, 23:25

red9design coilover kit in the states????

does anyone in the states sell this kit or something similar? iam really interested in it but dont really have the knowhow to make my own kit.

http://www.red9design.com/type1.htm

Last edited by kyle0995; September 23rd 2009 at 23:31.
Old September 23rd 2009, 23:53

the one for a non-IRS or just the coilovers
Old September 23rd 2009, 23:59

the front coilover kit for a standard. balljoint kit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EZ%20Rider%20Bug%20BJ.jpg (90.8 KB, 50 views)
Old September 24th 2009, 00:42

Check with www.airkewld.com they are here in AZ. They use the same torsion eliminator on there air bag beams.
Old September 24th 2009, 16:18

Hey thanks that is actually a good start to doing my own coilover kit.
Old September 25th 2009, 11:06

I am also looking for a coilover suspension solution stateside.
I have contacted AirKewld, the problem that I am having is finding the Coilovers as Kyle had mentioned.
The bars are easy, getting proper coilovers is the hard part.
I am looking for someone that tracks / autocrosses their vw and knows a pretty good starting place for coilovers on the front...
Anyone have a setup they enjoy with some height adjustability?
Old September 25th 2009, 16:57

If you find anything jmd let me know I can find baja style coilovers but they are super long. I just want a simple adjustable set up. Thanks
Old September 29th 2009, 01:19

I have seen people use this brand before.

http://qa1.thomasnet.com/viewitems/s...1001&forward=1
Old September 29th 2009, 19:49

i will defently look more into qa1. thanks for the link
Old June 15th 2010, 00:23

I will sell my set if you are still interested.
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old June 15th 2010, 03:53

if this is going on a ball joint beam make sure you reinforce the shock towers, they were never desigend to carry the wieght of the car and have seen a few crack and even brake away from the beam. have a look at what the class 11 baja guys do to improve the front beam.
Old June 15th 2010, 07:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
if this is going on a ball joint beam make sure you reinforce the shock towers, they were never desigend to carry the wieght of the car and have seen a few crack and even brake away from the beam. have a look at what the class 11 baja guys do to improve the front beam.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Clive
Old September 17th 2010, 10:24

Does anyone have a link to some pictures of either the damage of a coilover setup to the front towers, or pictures of a built up front tower ready for a coilover setup?

For those shopping...try this site.
www.colemanracing.com

They have the struts, the adjustable spring perches, and all the different springs you would need.

Rich
Old January 6th 2013, 17:47

Well this thread posted 2010 last, been looking at red 9 and just really digging it. Is there any links for tower reinforcement? I had originally planned air shocks and reindexed plates to get it down, but working on the bosses Porsche has got me really wanting to pull corners. Independent on 4 corners would out carve the 914
Old January 24th 2013, 16:33

red 9...

I have both the front and rear coil over package and have dealt with them to get some replacement parts.

1. Red9 is awesome to do business with and I'm in the US, it's all email and shipping.
2. The quality of the parts I have are super awesome. (I bought them new / used from a third party (SuperRSI as seen offering the parts above) and Red9 still supports them and me as a customer).

if you are considering this kit, just pull the trigger... it's sexy. You might need some custom parts depending on what your setup is.

I am working with a 69 IRS chassis with 944T rear arms converted to uniball's as I've removed the torsion bars.

The fronts bolt right in. No issue or special parts required (other than a fully adjustable front beam because you'll be removing the torsion leaves and replacing them with the bearing bars they provide). I will be re-enforcing the front beam both itself and by integrating the front beam into my roll cage setup to help spread the load.

The rear's need a special bit of love if you're using the 944T arms.
First, the top-mount hardware that comes with the rear coil-over fits just fine however, you will need a spacer made to offset the top of the coil-over from the shock tower with a 10MM spacer (which is what I am using).

The 944T trailing arm suspension bolt is a 14MM for the lower mount which is too large for the lower coil-over bushing which is designed for the stock bug steel arms, which are 12MM (and will bolt right in, if this is your setup).

So you will need to either source a bolt that supports these variations or you have to have something made up (my solution). I have a 14MM bolt with a 12MM shaft and a threaded outer end topped off with a castle nut so I can install and lock-wire it to keep it from backing out. I have a custom spacer being made that is about 10mm like the top one. This gives me a little extra spring clearance. You might be able to get away with 8MM spacers for both top and bottom mounts but I really wanted to have the space to not worry about my spring clearance.

You WILL need to run either a kafer cup brace setup (which will change the spacer requirements) or do a full cage integration (my solution) to integrate the shock towers. Not doing this can and will result in catastrophic failure of the shock towers. You'll also need to source a uniball setup because this is a complete replacement. You don't want to double suspend your suspension system so you'll ditch the torsions and replace the torsion / spring plate with the uniball setup. You can either get Red9's solution or go with MBT / Alex's customs or something like a setup from Pacific Customs to build your own Uniball kit.

I'll shoot some photos of my setup in a day or two and get them up into a build thread so folks can see what I am working with.

All in all, I love the parts from Red9.
Let me know if you have any questions.