GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Interior

Old July 2nd 2010, 11:06

Speaker Panels

Hiyo

Was wondering if anyone has purchased a pair of speaker panels from Glass-Action before. These mount in the front on each side of the Bug against the kick panel. I installed a new stereo system and I'm trying to figure out the best place to put the speakers. Right now I only have two hooked up built into boxes just sitting on the floor behind the driver/passenger seat.

I'm thinking about putting the rear speakers into the panels on the left/right side of the rear seat, but I gotta see if the depth of the speakers are too much to go there. I'd love to have them mounted to the roof, at the top corners of the rear window, but that's too much work for right now.

The problem are the front speakers, there's really no where I can think of putting them, so I'm looking at those fiberglass panels. I've seen ones built into door panels, but I don't know how the vibration will sound with all the linkage and crap in the door, or running the wire through the door like on a more modern vehicle. Which I'm not opposed to, because some time in the future I'll be routing wire there for electric window and door kits eventually anyway.

Just wondering if anyone has experiance with these panels. Thanks.
Old July 2nd 2010, 11:39

I ran them, they sounded good with some 6.5" speakers. fitment was horrible though.
Old July 2nd 2010, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Ninja View Post
I ran them, they sounded good with some 6.5" speakers. fitment was horrible though.
Fitment of the speakers to the panel, or the panel to the body? What I'm worried about is how the panel fits with the body, and how much foot room is used up, so I don't end up putting my foot through the speaker.
Old July 2nd 2010, 19:00

Location is decent, but you'll want to Dynamat the crap out of the inside of those things, the resonances are horrible. I would also suggest sealing the enclosure to the inner fender but cutting holes in the door post to allow for air flow out of the enclosure, they are too small for any decent sound and a port to the door post will make them sound a lot better.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S