GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Electrical

Old March 12th 2004, 23:50

porsche 911 dash....

i know they are made by kerscher and i know they run upwards of $200.....but what i need to know is that if by installing a 911 style dash you are giving up structural integrity of the dash itself. will the 911 style be as stable/sturdy as the original? also do you think it is worth the $200? i know they look awesome but there is always that dash cover route.?.?. i have a 74 super so a "new dash" is not something you can get at the local vw shop....
Old March 13th 2004, 00:52

I would say the fiberglass dash is more sturdy if you mount it correctly, because if you have ever taken the stock dash to metal you would find its very flimsy. but i think it was enginered to calaps if some ones head where to come crashing into it... like in a wreck.

Personaly i like the 911 style dash the best, Carbon Joe should be having some made out of carbonfiber, but im not quite clear on when they would be available im guessing sometime in the summer?
Anyways, the kersher one is ment to be covered... leather is mostly prefered. but Carbon Joe's would not be covered compleatly.
you would have to do a little smoothing out to make the Kerscher dash look perfect if you where to have it bare and paint it.

And the Kerscher dash would be over $200 USD for sure, more like 300-350 with shipping.
I had the Kersher dash, this is what Joe is using to mock up his dash from.

When i get the dash back, im doing an install article on the whole dash and aftermarket/ porsche 914 gauges.

If your not in a huge hurry, Joes dash should be well worth the wait, im sure he will have some for sale once he gets back to doing CF work.
Old March 13th 2004, 22:25

not in a huge hurry i want the car to be done by about august...maybe september. how much do you tihnk joe's cf dash would cost???
Old March 14th 2004, 00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by '74super
not in a huge hurry i want the car to be done by about august...maybe september. how much do you tihnk joe's cf dash would cost???

I am not sure on what he will charge...