GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 28th 2004, 13:16

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
I hate my car!!

It seems as though my GL project will never get off the ground. At this rate I can't seem to keep my baja together for more than a day at a time. Since that is my driver I kinda have to keep it on the road before I can throw time and money at the super. Here's a sample of the weekend timeline (I was way too frustrated to re-live it yesterday):

Saturday (afternoon): Dropped my sister off at the movie theatre and on the way home ran out of gas (no fuel gauge...forgot to factor in engine removal into odometer figure). It's a good thing I did because I was just about out of oil (no pressure gauge to tell me I was about to die)...the bottome of the dipstick was barely moist. This all happened across the street from a gas station but since the "street" was really a 4 lane highway and it was 5pm I couldn't push it across so I had to call my friend (Chevron has no gas cans for the borrowing). I then proceeded to leak 2 quarts of oil between Cotati (the movie theatre) and Petaluma (my house) - about 7 miles. I diagnosed the problem as the bales that hold on the rocker covers being absolutely worthless. Problem solved Saturday afternoon.

Saturday (evening): Drove the car again and found that the leak had slowed significantly to a point that is very acceptable for a stock vw engine (if it ain't leakin' oil it ain't got oil). While I was out I noticed a loud knocking sound....not good. I went home and found on out the locknuts on the rocker had loosened itself almost completely...valves need adjustment, no big deal. Park it for the night to let it cool off so I can adjust the next day.

Sunday (afternoon): Got the valves adjusted and the bales fixed to stop the leak completely and get the car back on the road. Drove to my friends house.

Sunday (night): Got in my car to head home. About 2 miles from my house I head a wheel rubbing but could not locate the sound. I assumed that the front right wheel was hitting the caliper from my disc brake conversion and I needed to remove a tiny bit more material...the noise got louder and I knew that wasn't the problem. About that time I feel the nose of the car come up - or really the rear go down - and heard a thud followed my nasty dragging. I managed to get my car to the curb before I grind to a halt, everybody safe. First order of business was finding the wheel that had separated itslef from the car and make sure it wasn't in anybody's trunk. A front yard was fine with me. The next discovery wasn't as good. My fender was shredded. Cracked about 2/3 of the way across, beyond repair (fibergalss). I got a new wheel on and managed to limp it home.

Monday (lunch): I saw it for the first time in the daylight. 2 of the fender bolts ripped clean out of the body...so angry. I took the rest of the day off work and moped. I don't know why I keep putting money into this deathtrap. It wants to kill me!!

Sorry for the rant

**EDIT**
Does anybody want a 1971 Baja on a IRS pan? More of a looker than a off-roader. Minus one fender (for now). $2000. Ok that's mostly a joke stemming from frustration...unless I get a serious offer...

Last edited by beesquad711; July 28th 2004 at 15:41.
Old July 28th 2004, 13:54
Administrator

Sounds like the baja needs a little PM and it would be a good daily driver. Give it some love and put it on the road.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old July 28th 2004, 19:04

Sounds to me like it's testing if your a good owner, or maybe it's jealous of your Super.
Old July 28th 2004, 19:11

sometimes I hate my cars to... I think it happens to all of us at times....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old July 28th 2004, 22:07

Don't let it get to you. Everybody has bad days, or weekends at some time. I went for a test drive once after doing my brakes and all 4 wheels nearly fell off about 1 mile from my house. The problem was that I left the breaker bar on my garage floor, along with my cell phone. I also had a clutch explode after installing it, a broken oil pan, and then the transmission blew to pieces all in the same month on my bike.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old July 29th 2004, 15:39

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
"...along with my cell phone..."
Yeah I forgot to mention that part. For the first time in a long while I didn't have my phone so I had to run to my friend's mom's house and wake everyone up so I could make a call. It wasn't all bad though since it gave me a chance to blow off a little steam.

...no offers? fine I'll keep it.