GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 30th 2012, 21:38

question and advise

my name is weston. some of you may know me on here. ive been a long time everyday lurker on here and have made a few posts here and their. i started a build thread a long while back, but i never updated it cause i ended up selling that car and got one in better shape to work with. fast fwd 3 yrs, i ended up with a 73 super beetle. the quick list of things ive done to it up in till this point have been that i swapped the front suspention out for a 74 cause of the later model 2 bolt strut, put a vanagon WBX 2.1 motor W/ AMC heads, EFI/ spark controlled by Megasquirt 1 v3.57 board, crossed drilled front disk breaks, all 4 brakes re drilled to 4x100, XXR 002 15x8/15x9 rims with brand new goodyear rubber, and a custom made dash that i also had custom wrapped in vinyl with a mix of different porsche gauges.

now, as of a few weeks ago i let my brother barrow my truck for a while cause he doesnt have a car right now. so i then revert to daily driving my superbeetle. well last night on y way home my 3 yr project was all but DESTROYED!!!

i was sitting at a light waitng in traffic, and i heard screeching breaks, and a loud WHAM!... then seconds later i got hit. turned out that a guy in a 3500 dodge truck read ended a BMW 3 series, then the BMW rear ended me. the damage is quite bad. she hit me so hard that the alternator on the motor bacially took almost all the hit.it breaking the alternator, bending my intake, breaking a boss on the engine case (thankfully i think it can be welded), broke the v-belt, broke the passenger side fuel rail, and im sure the list goes on not even including all the body panels that got damaged. heres the before pics, and the crashed pics.

heres the wreckage

what im asking now is...i WANT to get another superbeetle (pref. another 73') and build another one that will be even better. my concerns are that i wont get enough totaled value to go buy another one given the fact that its an old car, doesnt "LOOK" of really any worth value to the regular guy. IF i can get $3500 totaled value for it and i buy the car back, ill be happy cause i then can take that and get another super and swap all my goodies onto it. im super bummed cause this really has been the car ive wanted to build since i was 16yrs old. i was finally building what i always wanted. and it hurts to have it all taken away and not be "somewhat " compensated for it. do any of you have any advice as to how i can go about getting a fair totaled value? added note the the guys insurance is State Farm, and the body shop that i work at is also a state farm preferred repair shop.