GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old November 17th 2008, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
IIRC, the C2 rear 2-pot Brembos were 44mm? Anyways, I really love those calipers!
Work great on the rear of my VW412, speaking of which (see the bridge I'am making ):

Porsche ClassicSport I (BBS made) 7x17 ET55 and 8,5x17 ET52 with 195/45(in the pic still 205/50) and 225/45 rear.
Front calipers are BMW 320, 48mm cups. Adapter plate for the off-set and stud-adaptment
Awesome! I love those wheels
Old November 17th 2008, 10:22

Quote:
................... Though I really like how it brakes now, even with the knowledge it could/will lock up in the rear in the end.. I know I' am weird/suicidal
Wally, why not just add a bias valve to the rear line or a balance bar m/c's that would retain all you have achieved and allow you to dial in the correct bias?

evilC
Old November 17th 2008, 10:42

That was my second thought Steve
Its just that I have noticed that when fully loaded with family and luggage (i.e. dog) and traveling at speed, braking to a full stop does suffer, which is mainly due to the front brakes (they look just like the orginal cast iron ones, but are only one size bigger) with the non-vented disk.
Therefore I still hope to come up with a solution to mount a nice alu Brembo to the front. Problem there is the spindle, its different from a type 1 so a 944 adapter bearing is maybe not possible...but let me worry 'bout that for a while
Old November 18th 2008, 09:05

Wally,

Why not fit the 944 struts c/w discs, the early ones are a straight replacement and even have the speedo cable hole?

evilC
Old November 18th 2008, 09:57

Not a straight replacement on a 412
Old November 18th 2008, 10:15

Quote:
...its different from a type 1 so a 944 adapter bearing is maybe not possible...but let me worry 'bout that for a while
Wally, they are the same bearings as BJ/SB. I'd like to come up with something if you're up for it? Probably could do a 996 bolt on kit....

Lanner
Old November 18th 2008, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Wally, they are the same bearings as BJ/SB. I'd like to come up with something if you're up for it? Probably could do a 996 bolt on kit....

Lanner
Yes the wheel bearings are the same, but they are wider apart on a 412 than on a bug (any year).... I have the adapter parts to press in, but I am not sure the bearing houses would have enough material left in the 944 hub to reside in...

Lanner, if you could make me something, I would definately be up for it, spindle/hub wise or caster adjustment
You know the top strut bearings are the same in my 412 as in my late 1303 beetle and I need the extra caster on both. So an adjustable caster top bearing plate is still on top of my list. Caster I have now is between 1 and 2 degrees and needs to to 6-8 or so for optimum straight line high speed stability. I already have the Topline caster+ sway-bar bushings, but its not enough. Mayby because of my M030 front spindles but I dunno.

Untill I have some top strut caster-adjustment parts, I don't dare go any faster than 120 mph or so....
The lowered 412 has the same problem. So two sets of these could make this all a happy world

Well, you can't blame a guy for trying right? (I know you have other engagements )

Thanks,
Walter
Old November 19th 2008, 00:04

Quote:
Well, you can't blame a guy for trying right?
Wally,

No worries, I'm on the project. But I'm in the process of moving and then off for almost a month. So it'll be into the new year before I have anything concrete to show. Also, not sure if I can get that much adjustment out of them. Will have to get out the slide rule and figure it out :-P. Are your cars sleeping for the winter?

In the interim, I could probably come up with a static upper mount with spherical bearing. No adjustment, but fixed at a certain positive caster. Quick, dirty (and probably cheap). You can guinea pig them for me

Lanner
Old November 19th 2008, 03:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Wally,

No worries, I'm on the project.
Excellent! tnx for confirming
Quote:
But I'm in the process of moving and then off for almost a month. So it'll be into the new year before I have anything concrete to show. Also, not sure if I can get that much adjustment out of them. Will have to get out the slide rule and figure it out :-P.
If more movement is neccesary for them to work (increase caster by say at least 5 degrees or so), I would not mind filing out the upper strut openings in the body.
Quote:
Are your cars sleeping for the winter?
The 1303 is, as I always seem to come up with new plans that require engine and trans to be removed from the 03... but the 412 is my daily driver.

Quote:
In the interim, I could probably come up with a static upper mount with spherical bearing. No adjustment, but fixed at a certain positive caster. Quick, dirty (and probably cheap). You can guinea pig them for me

Lanner
That would be a very good idea! I could do that easily in a weekend and have the car realigned with the extra caster afterwards.
Cool! if you could make that happen, pls do so. The details we can discuss by PM or mail

Tnx in advance Lanner!
Walter
Old May 11th 2009, 10:40

saludos desde Paraguay!!

increible!!!! todoss!!! hermosos!!!
VW PARAGUAY
Old May 12th 2009, 05:46

Mine has 944 rotors all around with single piston calipers,topline versa struts + sport springs & Gaz inserts fully adjustable in 36 positions,beetle stock master cylinder.CUP 3 wheels 17x7.5 ET52 all around in widened fenders 4cm front and 6cm rear with 5.5 wheel spacer.

Old January 17th 2010, 23:09

Heres my 1964 short SA bug
Test fit of 16 x7 fuchs , fat 205/55/16 rubber, and Porsche 944 hubs. FITS!!! just , Big of rubbing . A non euro tire would probably help too. Not as wide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC08025.jpg (78.3 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg DSC08028.jpg (75.0 KB, 41 views)
Old January 22nd 2010, 20:52

987 Boxsters 2.7L wheels 17x8 & 6.5
235/45 & 195/45

Stock late IRS rear, 1-1/4" CCC fenders, 924S brakes w/factory ~19mm spacers

Stock 'Ghia beam with adjusters on front, stock fenders, ~17mm spacers

Old February 20th 2010, 20:48

sorry, I can not good write English language, but I try...

I have these wheels under my car...Enkei, produced in 1983, end buy it over 2 years ago, new in the boxes, (found by a porsche dealer)
front: 8J x 16 ET 11. at the back: 9Jx 16 ET 11.
tires : front: BF Goodrich G-force 195/45/16.
Back: BF Goodrich G-force 225/45/16.

Last edited by orange b; February 20th 2010 at 20:56.
Old June 24th 2010, 11:14

any pictures of fuchs wheels on a super ? would they go well ?