GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old October 29th 2012, 19:00

Hi

Oasis I think bureaucrats are world wide phenomenon.

One thing I forgot to mention, I've fitted inertia real seatbelts in the original VW location with reel axle running east west across the car, they sent me letter to say that my seatbelts were mounted incorrectly, thanks to the local VW community I was able to send them 10 photos of stock bugs with the seat belts mounted like I had done.

I'm using a Eboost 2 to control boost, what a great Aussie invention, I'm gradually turning the boost up and as Ricola suggested I'm scaring myself, what's amazing is I'm yet to get and wheel spin the tyres I'm using are street/race tyre and stick very well.

I'm loving the ratios of the G50, 1st gear is amazing, it just leaves all the traffic behind before a gear change is needed.

Steve
Old October 29th 2012, 23:28

Hi

Oasis I think bureaucrats are world wide phenomenon.

One thing I forgot to mention, I've fitted inertia real seatbelts in the original VW location with reel axle running east west across the car, they sent me letter to say that my seatbelts were mounted incorrectly, thanks to the local VW community I was able to send them 10 photos of stock bugs with the seat belts mounted like I had done.

I'm using a Eboost 2 to control boost, what a great Aussie invention, I'm gradually turning the boost up and as Ricola suggested I'm scaring myself, what's amazing is I'm yet to get and wheel spin the tyres I'm using are street/race tyre and stick very well.

I'm loving the ratios of the G50, 1st gear is amazing, it just leaves all the traffic behind before a gear change is needed.

Steve
Old November 18th 2012, 06:09

Hi

A I few goodies arrived last week.

A Griimspeed cross pipe, good for 5 HP and a AVO solid boost control solenoid.

Steve

Old November 20th 2012, 03:32

That ^^ doesn't seem like a solonoid but more like a original-style wastegate actuator with a more rigid bracket?
Neat thingy nevertheless ;-)
Old November 20th 2012, 04:37

Hi Wally

Sorry I meant actuator

http://www.avoturbo.com/avoshop/soli...ries-p-56.html

I read about using this actuator here http://autospeed.com/cms/A_1824/printArticle.html
Old December 26th 2012, 06:13

Hi

I just went and had the car wheel aligned, I've been going to same wheel alignment shop for the last 40 years, same equipment is still in use.

The G50 transmission is out of a low kilometre Japanese import, it has a noise in it, so the gearbox will be removed soon to repair it, not happy as its so much fun to drive. I bought the transmission so long ago that there's not any hope of warranty.

Steve

Old December 26th 2012, 06:28

Hi

Well gearbox is out and I took to Michael Newton Automotive at Mulgrave to get him to strip it down.

His shop is small but impressive, he had a few million dollars worth of Porsche track & and street cars sitting around.

He warned me that G50s are a noisy box anyway and as I've made it well mounted in the chassis that could be the cause of the noise.

So when he stripped down couldn't cant find anything wrong with it, he said that its in very good condition with none of the usual wear areas. So it appears that my noises are caused by my mounting method.

I have a stock G50 mount at the front of the transmission, two Kombi bellhousing mounts like a top mounted Berg style mount and stock WRX/STI mounts under the motor.

So I ordered a Quaife diff for it and he will replace a few bearings just to be sure and its better to setup a new diff with new side carrier bearings.

A used ZF diff was about $3500 the Quaife was about $1700 au

Its in good company at the shop as its full of Porsche Cup cars.

To get the gearbox out again, I had to remove the rear bumper, rear apron and partially remove the rear mudguards, not something I want to be doing too often

Although this will be an expensive exercise Im will feel more comfoatable now driving the car, I felt every noise coming from my G50 was it grinding itself to pieces

Steve

Old December 26th 2012, 06:34

Hi

My AVO solid boost control actuator had a manufacturing defect, when I pointed it out to them, they sent me an upgraded billet unit, great customer relations.

Steve

Old December 26th 2012, 06:38

Hi

I installed some extra gauges and this left no room for switch gear, I moved the switches down to where the fan switch and vent control normally sit, I'm making billet panel to replace the hacked up plastic one shown here.

Steve

Old December 26th 2012, 06:41

Hi

I fitted some NOS CV boots, I think that the rubber may have perished.

I'm running a lot of angle so that wouldn't have helped so I bought some better boots from eBay, the have many more ribs in them which will help I think.

Steve

Old December 26th 2012, 07:35

Why have you got two fan switches Steve?

My CV boots (genuine GKN) only lasted a few days! Right now I've ended up with the race type boots on the outer and big off-road silicone ones at the inners when I have space..
Old December 26th 2012, 08:44

Good job fitting a diff while your in there! I can here my G50 pretty good too, but only always on deceleration. I knew the G50 is a bot noisy from itself as porsche did go pretty far on the insulation on the shifter opening and even the shift rod itself is packed in foam-like material. That was a good clue for me, LOL!
Old December 26th 2012, 17:49

Hi

I use one fan switch for the dash fan and the other one is for the heater, its under the back seat.

The heater under the back seat is from the rear of a Toyota Troop carrier and blows up the factory heater channels.

When I got the news that the transmission was in good shape I decided that I had some spare cash to buy the Quaife.

I had a Quaife in my 1302 and it worked fine, I know that they are not the ultimate but they don't have any handling vices.

The Porsche gearbox guy was saying that they used a lot of things keep them quiet, dual mass flywheel and blankets over things, apparently the blanket over the transmission used to soak up oil and catch fire

Steve

these are the CV boots I bought from eBay

Last edited by Steve C; December 26th 2012 at 17:52. Reason: spelling and more detail
Old December 29th 2012, 13:50

It's looking really sharp - shame about the gearbox - i feel your pain as i had my 915 rebuilt after doing about 100 miles!

How did you find the wheel alignment? I notice you are running ally arms - and there was a thread not too long ago with a few people having excessive toe out (including me). My spring plates were filed out in the end.
Old December 29th 2012, 18:04
Administrator

Steve, the car and upgrades look great!

Something to consider with the Porsche transmissions is the switch from 6cyl to 4cyl motors. Here in Vancouver we have a Porsche 356 replica manufacturer Intermeccanica. Henry, who owns the business, is a friend and walked up to my car at the first event. "Porsche 5spd?", yep. "Noisy as all hell isn't it." They used to offer a Porsche 901 or G50 option with the VW motors, but now reserve them only for 6cylinder cars. Even with rebuilds and all new parts they were noisy, swap the exact same box into a 6cyl equipped car and they'd be silent. Gotta be something with the harmonics.

Hmmm, this makes me think I should update my thread!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap