GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old September 9th 2009, 18:38

Something Wicked This Way Comes... More pics

I have been lurking in the background for years. I thought it was time that I show what I have been working on for the past three going on four years. I started off into the world of germanlook about seven years ago with a 1974 Superbeetle that I had such big plans for. I gathered parts for car while I used it as my daily driver. I had Kerscher adjustable struts, Momo steering wheel, several autometer gauges, Tar-ox 6 piston disc brakes, CB Performance rear brakes, etc. All of these parts besides the struts pretty much sitting in the garage till I could take the Super off the road and do a complete makeover.
After losing a major contract my company suffered a variety of set backs, I had to sell the Superbeetle. A year goes by and back on solid ground I went in search of another Super, but I came across a 1963 that was just too good to pass on. Up until now all my research and parts gathering had been toward building a 74 Super GL, so now I had to sort of start over again. I found that if I switched to the later model balljoint front end and a I.R.S. I could use the parts that so far I had spent the most money on, the braking systems.
Now on to specs and Pics:

1970 original pan w/ one dime size hole in battery tray area, stripped, por-15 top and bottom

Bullet proof Front end:
4 in. narrowed beam from airkewld.com, then I added the steering damper mount and turn stop bracket from the original beam
Tar-ox 6 pistons disc brakes front drilled and stud to 4.5x5 at vdubengineering, then cryod,slotted and dimpled at frozenrotors,I painted the rotors, the calipers came in red, steel braided brake lines,new steering box,
Superduty narrowed tie rods from vdubengineering, new tie rod ends, and new lowered balljoints

Rear end:
Reconditioned and painted stock trailing arms, all rubber replaced with urethane
Cb performance rear disc brake, drilled and stud at vdubengineering, then cryod,slotted and dimpled at frozenrotors, I painted the calipers and rotors

Wheels and tires:
D'vinci Attivo's front 18x7.5, ET.43mm, 215/35/18, rear 19x9.5 ET. 30mm, 265/30/19

Interior: Momo steering wheel, AutoMeter UltraLight II gauges.

Soon to come: I really like the new Stealth seat by Scat series 1615. Check it out!
http://www.procarbyscat.com/new_releases/stealth.html

The only major change to the body was to add 3 in wider fenders from CCC. I had to redrill new holes in the bumper bracket in order to slide the bumpers rearward 40mm. I wanted big fenders and a rear bumper. This also cleared up some clearance issues I was having with the W decklid that Im using. Other changes were very minor such as script emblem on hood from volkswagen to street machince, fog lights, etc. By the way the car has a factory 3 fold ragtop, sorry none of the pics show it. The cover is black canvas.

Engine: Right now all I know is that it will be a 2 ltr. plus aircooled vw. Type 1 or 4 is still up in the air. Dream engine is a Type 4 2563cc. Go big or go home. But I haven't hit the lotto yet.

I put together a slide show of the build so far. Check it out. Dial up user beware, file is not small. High speed user are up and running in now time.

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=927e80ce.pbr
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!

Last edited by Speed Dreamer; March 10th 2010 at 07:18.
Old September 9th 2009, 18:56

Nice work...
keep the pics coming

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old September 9th 2009, 19:05

Sweeeet, show us more
Old September 9th 2009, 20:18
Administrator

Nice to see some pix from you Tony. Looks like you have been busy. Keep us updated. Let me know when you are going to put it on the street so I can come and see it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 9th 2009, 21:58

Looking good!! Hope you can make it to "dyno day" in peachtree city next march.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old September 9th 2009, 23:02

woooooow, you been doin work
Old September 10th 2009, 01:33

Very nice! You're off to a pretty good start from the looks of it. Any plans for the drive train?
Old September 10th 2009, 21:27

I haven't decided on a engine or trans yet. Thinkin about a big T4 engine and a built vw trans.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Slideshow of build: Discontinued for now. Photobucket deleted hours of work to update their website!!
Old September 10th 2009, 22:06

Your car looks really good.
With all you have done drive train has to be a Type IV.....IMHO.
Old September 11th 2009, 16:12

very nice work i especially like the front brakes the scat seats are pertty sweet.
Old September 11th 2009, 16:40

You should have posted sooner, we love to follow along, even if it is slow!!! I'll make a suggestion, and that is to build a sort of "strut bar" for the tops of the front shocks. I've been consistantly amazed at how Airkewled seems to ignore various stress points and the towers will flex quite a bit IMHO. A link between the 2 shock tops and maybe a tie in to the body would be good.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old September 17th 2009, 21:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
You should have posted sooner, we love to follow along, even if it is slow!!! I'll make a suggestion, and that is to build a sort of "strut bar" for the tops of the front shocks. I've been consistantly amazed at how Airkewled seems to ignore various stress points and the towers will flex quite a bit IMHO. A link between the 2 shock tops and maybe a tie in to the body would be good.

Jason
Thanks Jason I didnt know that. Its not too late. The body is just sitting on the pan. I haven't bolted it down, because at the rear I plan to install a torque bar from Lanner at vdubenginering.com. I will also talk to him about suggestions on a front strut bar for the beam. I plan to also use the the lower beam to pan braces. And mc-500 I agree the scat stealth seats are sweeet, I think they are the best in the scat procar seat line up.
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old October 18th 2009, 13:08

Looks good. Nicely documented on the slide show.

Lanner
Old October 19th 2009, 03:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Dreamer View Post
Thanks Jason I didnt know that. Its not too late. The body is just sitting on the pan. I haven't bolted it down, because at the rear I plan to install a torque bar from Lanner at vdubenginering.com. I will also talk to him about suggestions on a front strut bar for the beam. I plan to also use the the lower beam to pan braces. And mc-500 I agree the scat stealth seats are sweeet, I think they are the best in the scat procar seat line up.
Lanner would be a very good reference point, and for sure he'd be able to help you out if you decide to go that way.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old October 19th 2009, 08:09

That's going to be one sweet ride!!
Cheers
D