GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old March 20th 2006, 14:35

Mikey,

I'm not sure if this will be a problem or not, but it's just my $0.02...

Typically it is not advisable to put 90 degree bends into any type of plumbing lines. A radius should always be used to keep the coolant flow as smooth a possible. (Same thing goes for exhaust systems, etc...)

Do you think you will have any problems with the double 90 degree cuts you have on the one line? The other one looks like you have a nice angled cut.

I would think that the 90 degree cuts would reduce coolant flow and increase pressure in the system, which might lead to some overheating issues. Two 45 degree cuts may be better.

Again, just my $0.02. Other than that, the work looks great. :agree:

Cheers,

Doug
Old March 20th 2006, 18:00

Thank you guys for the comments. Sorry to hear about your grandpa Dave. I saw the thread about the bus and your grandpa. I hope everything works out for you. I like getting a little encouagement now and then.

Doogie, Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I'll have a problem, with the restrictions I have at that one spot. Master cylinder and steering box being the main two. I just tried to dodge them while still getting the water lines to reach the radiator.
I think I have an idea of what you're talking about. I thought about that too, and from what I could tell I could do that and still not cut the lines short. I'll make a rough cut 90* with two 45's today before I start work. Instead of the point in the corner it would make a more gentle turn.

I love the comments.
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...

Last edited by Mikey; March 20th 2006 at 18:05.
Old March 20th 2006, 23:31

Hmmm... is this what you had in mind? I made it in about 10 minutes. Very Rough also known as Ghetto. The actual water lines will be a lot neater than this thing.

I think I can add this to my water lines with out an act of congress.

Let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install (corner) 004 (Small).jpg (50.3 KB, 137 views)
Old March 20th 2006, 23:36

I don't know what to look at more the coolant line mods, or the big stack of type I cylinder head cores.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 21st 2006, 00:29

Tim's been building vws for 25+ years. We're in the process of rebuilding all those heads. I should take pictures of his shop sometime. There are parts and tools everywhere. For the most part, I'd say about 90-95% of all the parts have their place. That's why I've been hard after this Ghia. I have the space and the tools to do it.

If you havn't, you should meet Tim. He's a real good guy. Some of the VKG'ers have met him at various shows. How many guys do you know that would allow someone full use of their shop and a place to keep their car while they build it?
Old March 21st 2006, 12:15

Mikey,

Yeah, that is exactly what I was talking about. :agree: I know that in the plumbing industry (commercial and residential construction) we had very few problems with the system when the 90 degree bends were made with 2 - 45 degree fittings.

Nice work on that Ghia. You're an inspiration for me to get moving on mine this fall. (Right after I insulate and heat the garage).

Cheers,

Doug
Old March 21st 2006, 23:54

Mikey,
Great job I am enjoying your updates. :agree:
Any problems welding the aluminum pipe to the galvanized other than the toxic fumes?
Old March 22nd 2006, 02:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73
Mikey,
Great job I am enjoying your updates. :agree:
Any problems welding the aluminum pipe to the galvanized other than the toxic fumes?
Thanks for the feedback.

As far as I know, I asked a friend in my welding class today. I can't weld the two because they're disimilar metals. I can brase them, but he said you can brase about any metal. Brasing isn't an option because it isn't a very clean weld. Not something I'd like to do for my water lines. In my pictures. Towards the rear torsion, there are couplers on either side. I'll probably just use good thread tape and call it done. If that doesn't work, maybe a peice of hose the length of the coupler, then 2 good hose clamps. Thanks for the question. I enjoy answering.

But galvanized is very toxic, I think you end up with the equivilent of a chemical phemonia (sp?). A guy in my class had that happen to him a while back, he was VERY sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie S
Nice work on that Ghia. You're an inspiration for me to get moving on mine this fall. (Right after I insulate and heat the garage).
Thanks, inslulation and heat in your garage is a must. When you get moving on yours. Start a thread. I'd love to follow allong to your build too. Maybe I can help on yours too.
Old April 1st 2006, 16:50

You sorce out another engine yet?
Old April 1st 2006, 20:44

Update!

No Nick, no engine yet. I'll probably call out to Nippon-motors monday.

Wow, what a week. I had intentions of working my @ss off over my spring break, it didn't happen. But I did make some great progress even though I only worked 3 days.

I finshed the corner in my coolant lines. I had a few failed ideas before I finaly hit gold. I first just cut two 45* angles and tried them up against two 90*s. That didn't work, it left big gaps. So I tried to fill in the gaps. Let me add, I was using a simple tri-square and a hack saw. After a little figureing, I realized I needed to just make two 45* angles with four 22.5*. There was just no way around it. So I thought long and hard.... Chop saw! :idea: I checked the blade, sure enough it's for 'metal'. Tried it, and it worked perfect. Then after I found the right angle. I cut the tubing up how I wanted it, then welded it. Perfecto! I put a small cut and angle in the passenger side to help point the water towards the radiator.

Next is the moment of truth. How will the tubing look with the body and radiator in place? I'll use another post, I'm out of picture room...
Old April 1st 2006, 20:56

After a little work, and a little help from a 'Cherry Picker'. I managed to get my body back on my pan, by myself. I rolled it up in the garage and put it up on four jackstands, bolted the lines up and nervously checked the fit...

PERFECT! well, not 100% but concidering I made the water lines fit the pan and not the pan and the body. The're great. I thought they'd work out, but I have to admit, I did have my doubts. The passenger side is like I hoped, pretty much a straight shot. But the Driver's side is another story. I think I might up having to use a bleeder similar to Volkdent's.

In the last two pictures, I have a little clearance issue. Then again, it could be a lot worse. It could have hit the body.

Comments are always welcome.
Thanks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 022 (Small).jpg (42.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 023 (Small).jpg (42.1 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 024 (Small).jpg (46.0 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 025 (Small).jpg (44.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Coolant Line Install 026 (Small).jpg (46.6 KB, 96 views)
Old April 2nd 2006, 08:05

Will the driver's side line clear the fuel tank?

Rich
Old April 2nd 2006, 14:52

This is just great! Keep the updates coming. I hope by the time I get that far in my project, I will remember to refer to all these good posts. VERY usefull info to be had here(although I will not go H2O, this is STILL usefull info to me)...

Keep on 'chopping away', and post as you get along :agree:
Old April 2nd 2006, 18:31

Why hadden't you let some bends maked? (less restrition for the water)

Wiebrand
Old April 2nd 2006, 20:03

Thanks guys.

Rich, I'm not sure if it'll clear the tank, if it's too tall I can cut it down, but at least it's not short.

Wiebrand, I believe you're asking. Why didn't I just bend the tube? I coudn't find a tubing bender anywhere around to rent or barrow, and buying a bender just for that seemed too much to me.