GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old November 16th 2005, 01:30

Random Ramblings from a Rookie

It was my first Dyno Day (not counting emissions testing on the newer cars). It was my first VW show. It was my first time to meet people who helped me on my German Look Super Beetle journey.

First and foremost, I must admit I wimped out on my journey home. I had all the confidence in the world in my '71 1302 and was full of bluster the day before. I don't know if it is just me getting older or what, but the thought of driving to Florence (or there-abouts) and then to Baltimore lost its charm. I had a quick pick-me-up when I heard a double-rev from the fast lane and saw a thumbs-up from a chap in a slammed Chevy pick-up near Orlando. Five minutes later, though, it was raining. I took the Auto Train instead. Sorry. No reports from the road.

I did get over 33 MPG on the two two-hour drives on either end of the Auto Train, though.

I was surprised how much of a drop of "real" HP compared to the stated HP there was with my "rock-o stock-o" engine. I understand the difference of "at the flywheel" and "at the wheels." I just didn't think it would be over 25%. (Owner's manual: 60 HP @ 4400 RPM versus Dyno: 44.5 HP @ 4080 RPM) I was guessing 52.

The difference in torque was less dramatic. (Owner's manual: 81.2 ft.lb. @ 3000 RPM versus Dyno: 69.2 ft.lb. @ 2700 RPM) The low RPM torque is what I like about my under-powered Super and is what I would like to maintain in my future dream engine.

There is no arrangement between Georgia and Maryland so I doubt there is one between Georgia and Ontario.

I was surprised how much fun I had at Dyno Day. I'm not mechanically minded so I thought things might get old -- especially since I spent three hours at Fisher's on Friday. Boy, was I wrong! My jaw was actually hurting from grinning so much.

I enjoyed meeting everyone and left knowing more. I may be too old to drive 18 straight hours like I once did, but I'm not too old to still learn.

Fisher's Buggies was nice and professional in how they handled me and my situation on Friday. They deserve kudos for the Dyno Day and get extra kudos from me for Friday.

Speaking of kudos for Dyno Day, there were a lot of people who put in a lot of effort. It might have been fun for them, too, but it still was work. I really appreciated it.

I liked the race between vujade and some other cat in a nicely appointed VeeDub. Although I could have won against the other cat (who never left the starting line), vujade was very quick.

No bikini contest? My wife really could have won! (Yes, I have moved on to Bug Jam.)

I enjoyed the mixture of looks my Super drew. Some walked past with an "ah, whatever" glance while others stared at the Wolfsburg Edition wheels and disks like they were seeing a new color for the first time. One geezer touched my car (mirrors, wheels, interior, etc.) about a dozen times. This came five minutes after I lectured my wife about touching someone's carpeted trunk. Oops.

I know there were "things" about Bug Jam regular car show go-ers didn't care for, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The music selection could have been more diverse if not flat-out better. And judging should be done on a laptop (or laptops depending how many judges there are) using MicroSoft Access. The results could be tabulated and sorted instantaneously.

I know I didn't win anything but the fact no one tossed empties into my car was reward enough.

I was surprised to see a Brasilia but not an SP-2. I was surprised to see only one Type 4 (a 412 wagon) and no Razors Edge (a Type 34 Ghia). I was surprised to see so many Rat Looks and virtually no special edition Beetles or Super Beetles. I was surprised to see so many dune buggies but no sand rails.

On the mass exit after the announcement of no awards announcements, I got a laugh on how one slammed bug needed at least ten forward-reverse, back-and-forth wiggling to make a turn because of no turning radius.

My daughter now wants a Scirocco. I don't know how many cars there were, but she now wants a Scirocco after seeing one? (She did vote for me for People's Choice, though.)

Some of the "parts" for sale looked worse than some of the stuff I threw out or gave away. A lot of those same parts were still for sale late in the day so I didn't feel too badly but I saw bumpers worse the ones I want to replace being carried away as purchases.

I could go on and on. But I won't. I enjoyed my brief stay in my favorite state. I shall return -- and maybe without a weak sister engine next time.
Old November 16th 2005, 22:35
Administrator

Oasis, It was great to meet and hang out with you. :agree:
I will not soon forget the grin on your face when you got your car on the roller and spooled it up. 18 - 25% is the loss you get thru the trans/brakes/wheels. The 1600 dual port was said to have 60hp but most stock 1600's give about 50hp. But you never know untill you dyno it. That was a long drive for you comming down from MD. You get my "Man-Up-N-Drive thums up. :agree: for this month.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old November 16th 2005, 22:55

Excellent, excellent story!
What fun to hear about it from your perspective. Thanks for posting your thoughts.
Something I'm unfamiliar with though, what's an autotrain? You stop by the local railyard and drive-on for a ride home?

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 17th 2005, 13:42

It was very nice meeting everyone. I had a blast.

I knew there was loss in "real" HP and torque ... just didn't expect it to be that much. Just one tidbit of a whole lot I learned on Fri, Sat, Sun.

AutoTrain is a special service by Amtrak which runs from Lorton, Va., to Sanford, Fla, with coach cars and sleeper compartments for the people, and special double-decker cars for the cars. By taking it back home, I reduced 18 hours of driving down to four or so. It also reduces the wallet heavily. It is used quite a lot by retirees who escape to Florida during the cold months.

There was a time I drove straight to Ft. Lauderdale or Gainesville without much thought. As I have gotten older, I started using Florence, S.C., as goal before overnighting some place.

Now that I have a family, we also use Florence as a reference. Sometimes we drive straight through as a tandem, though. AutoTrain was never worth the price to us.

Since my wife and daughter flew, the driving was all about me.

I'm pretty sure if I could comfortably drive at 80 or so (which is no big deal on I-95 unless it is backed up for some fender-bender or construction), I would have soared past Sanford with the same silly grin I had on the dyno.

Just more incentive to do an engine upgrade.

Last edited by oasis; November 17th 2005 at 13:51.
Old November 17th 2005, 21:17

Oasis,
I too enjoyed meeting you and am very glad you dynoed your car. Thanks for your thoughts on the weekend, I look forward to seeing you next year with or without the bigger engine.
Old November 17th 2005, 22:33

Wink

i enjoyed meeting and hanging with everyone as well . hey oasis sorry about the rain check on the ride but it may have been a good thing as at that time i was almost out of fuel. next time youre around i promise you a ride because from now own i dont go anywhere without at least 1/4 th a tank of gas
Old November 18th 2005, 11:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow73
Oasis,
I too enjoyed meeting you and am very glad you dynoed your car. Thanks for your thoughts on the weekend, I look forward to seeing you next year with or without the bigger engine.
Thanks. I was hoping to learn stuff by witnessing different engine configurations on the dyno. I was surprised doing the dyno on my car was as much of a learning experience as it was fun. There is enough geek in me that the charts mean something. (I look at charts and tables all day long at work. Hoo-boy, talk about fun ... )

I already have my 2006 calendar marked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus
hey oasis sorry about the rain check on the ride but it may have been a good thing as at that time i was almost out of fuel. next time youre around i promise you a ride because from now own i dont go anywhere without at least 1/4 th a tank of gas
No apologies are necessary. I had no idea when I asked for a ride that your car was that much of a behemoth. Racing fuel is hard to come by in Maryland although there is one station two minutes from me. Anyway, I look forward to that rain check.

By the way, I saw a used peddle car exactly like the one you got new at Fisher's at BugJam. The seller's asking price was more. Unbelievable.

Congratulations on the Hot VWs award at BugJam. I saw zen got third place when glancing through the BugJam awards. I don't know if anyone else won any awards.
Old November 18th 2005, 11:27

What are the dates for next year? My wife already asked me about maybe bringing the panel down next year... we wouldn't get to dyno, but everything would be a blast!!!!

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old November 18th 2005, 17:55

The Pasco County Bug Jam is already set for Sunday, November 12, 2006. I am only assuming with a hope-a-plenty another Dyno Day and Meet & Greet will coincide.