GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 26th 2010, 15:11

Subaru or suspension?

It's calling me and keeping me awake at night. I'm getting the subaru bug again but stronger than ever now thanks to a friend. I went for a spin in a ej20t powered 914 and now I want one so bad. Just like others the boost has been turned down to about 7-8psi and he's running 201hp at the wheels. I know how this individual drives, his right foot is made of a very dense matter that is difficult to lift, and the worst mileage he's had so far is 30mpg. Even though I just built a big motor and it's very very strong, it's only getting 15 or so mpg since I have the same right foot illness I already have everything needed for the swap except the motor, harness and ecu. Thanks to some side jobs I have some much needed cash in the bank but never before has it burned in my pocket so badly.

The other side of the coin is I have enough money to build the perfect suspension. Matched with the big motor and freeway flier, my baby porsche would be complete. The current setup is okay-ish but really needs a refresh since the race car got all the good stuff.

The kicker in this dilemma is that the bug is my daily driver and gets over 100 miles a day. The subaru swap would pay for itself in a few months, or right away if I sold the big motor, but would still ride a bit soft especially with the subie lump in the back. So what would you go for, power and mileage, or perfect handling with full adjustability?
Old April 27th 2010, 06:11

simple, just say please sir can i have both? my boss seems to think that theory works

suspension will make it feel gutless

power makes it feel sloppy, tough call...

how long can you put up with one of those downsides?
Old April 27th 2010, 07:03

suspension first, i have allways found a better handerling car is more fun than a fast one
Old April 27th 2010, 08:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgie View Post
suspension first, i have allways found a better handerling car is more fun than a fast one
I thoroughly agree. A well handling/stopping car is MUCH more fun and will probably give you quicker A > B times than one which has more power than the chassis can cope with. With a fine handling car you will have greater confidence and work much less hard.

Clive
Old April 27th 2010, 18:01
Administrator

X3.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 27th 2010, 22:30

Humble.. I have a subaru low profile sump sitting in NJ waiting for you when you need it.

But agree suspension first... you know how it goes.. you start with the motor and murphy pops his head in.. and your car is off the road for a year.
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old April 28th 2010, 07:55

ditto on suspension. makes for a much happier 100 miles.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 28th 2010, 08:21

+3 for suspension first

a good mate of mine has a super with a WRX EJ20T but all stock suspension and brakes and that thing is scary to ride in
Old April 29th 2010, 00:31

You guys are true GL'ers, I was expecting to see suspension come out on top, but I like the both answer Thanks to recent developments over the last couple days I think I might be able to do both. As of May 10th I will be once again employed

I understand doing the suspension first and it's a little more than halfway there. The setup I have now isn't stock (rear: 944 23.5mm T-bars, kyb shocks, formula vee sway bar, front: coilovers with 200# springs w/ dieing struts) but the new equipment would be the difference between pretty good and awesome.

Power wise what I have is no slouch. Realistic power output is probably around 170-180hp at the flywheel which gets the bug moving in a hurry, but it's the mileage that is killing me the most.

However, with the new job paying better than the last, I will have a little more "fun-money" to try and perfect my GL recipe
Old April 29th 2010, 04:21
Administrator

Glad to hear you will be working again. That makes things easier.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:44

Humble, 200 lb FRONT springs? that's very very stiff for a daily road car, i only run 150/200 for the track, wet/dry if i get time to change them. about 125 would be plenty, you could also consider a fuel injection upgrade, with a few tweaks you can be up with the suby squad with good milage returns.
go that route and your talking a heavy car by the time you've changed the trans and brakes, then added the cooling and rads etc, over 1050kg and on towards 1200kg more likely... 200 hp in 800 kg?? sounds good to me, it'll kill a suby, especially on the bends.
Old May 2nd 2010, 16:36

I have 200 lb springs in the front of mine & it's a true daily driver that I take to the track. 125 lb springs are too soft especially with the radiators up front for the engine & intercooler

My car weighs 1020kg & thats with a full interior, stereo, 17 inch wheels & big brakes & it's a Superbug 1302.

The main thing u wil need is bigger torsion bars, I have 28mm, don't bother with the type 3 versions, they aren't stiff enough

regards
Jak

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6
Old May 3rd 2010, 01:11

I've played with the front springs quite a bit a 200#/in. is the best compromise I've found. Yes they are a tad stiff for road use but you haven't seen my roads either Right now the car weighs 2050lbs./930kg with a full tank, full interior, and a big stereo.

I've done the fuel injection thing before but I want more power, reliability and mileage, 3 things that air cooled motors aren't renowned for. Now I have built up one hell of a good motor for it, and got 2 of 3 but I really want a bit more from it.
Old May 6th 2010, 13:55

Ah ,Humble i see your weight now, that's how your spring poundage is working out for you. trouble with me is, i don't think like most people, weight is my enemy, to the point of paranoia , your a bit compromised with a road car daily, i drove a return day trip 300 miles, London/ Birmingham in a road registered 700 kg race beetle, and was SO beat up after wards, like a zombie and deaf too! so some comforts are required, i.e weight, but plastic windows can save a lot, imagine your performance with a 200kg diet!! I've just fitted a hi torque starter, not for the torque, but for the 2kg weight saving! a few glass panels, fenders, deck lid and hood, a couple of lightweight bucket seats, junk the rear seats/ bumpers, latest lightweight race battery and your killing porsches!! ah well, i can only try to keep you from the dark side...good luck what ever route you go, keep us posted tho'..