GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old May 6th 2012, 12:59

Very very nice! It sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing.

Post the photos here when they are done, if you are allowed.
Old May 7th 2012, 14:40

Sweet Can't wait to see the Photos....
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old May 8th 2012, 18:56
Administrator

Thanks Guys!

I'm super stoked and happy with it so far. Having the shots done this weekend by Andrew means that I've now got free reign to play with the car. Stone chips? Not a big deal now! The car does handle significantly differently from the last bug, so it's going to take some testing before I'm comfortable sliding it on Gravel. Sunday I swapped the seats back to my own, and prepped it for some gravel playing on Monday eve. A last minute group in whistler meant switching it back to street tires, and a day on the mountains until 11pm. Sigh. Probably won't get out on the gravel tires until Sunday

On the plus side, however, I am allowed to post this teaser shot!

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old May 8th 2012, 23:27

Hi

That looks fantastic.

I was watching a German motoring TV show the other night and it had a bit about VW race & rally cars, it had Salzburg 1303 in the show.

I've saved the show to disk, I will get it chopped down on email it you if your interested.

Steve
Old May 9th 2012, 12:59

You did an amazing job with that car and I can only hope it drives as good as it looks. The teaser pic looks awesome and I can't wait to see more. Now we need some gopro footage!
Old May 9th 2012, 13:09

Dave, I've posted a link to your thread in the Volkszone rally beetle thread. Sure it'll generate some interest on there
Old May 9th 2012, 13:22
Administrator

Steve - I can provide you with a YouSendit or DropBox account which would allow you to upload and send large files to me. If that works for you let me know and I'll email details over to you. Would love to see the footage for sure!

I keep promising GoPro footage...but everything I've shot so far seems so lame and boring. Maybe I'll post a couple of quick clips today so you can see that it actually runs, and how freaking loud the transmission bearing noise is! Definitely haven't shot any gravel yet. The car handles so differently from my other vehicles I need to get some time behind the wheel before I'm comfortable playing with it. Can't post vids of me driving like a rookie now, can I? haha.

I will need to keep an eye on that Volkszone thread...I'm curious to see what people think. I mean, at the end of the day I built it for me. But the European reaction to the build is of big interest to me, simply because here in North America I've built a car so outside the box that most people don't know what they're looking at until I explain it to them. Europe's Rally connection is much stronger, so its a bit better of a fit over there!

-Dave
Old May 13th 2012, 12:40

Dave, it might be useful for you (articles and the whole website):

http://www.vw1302.de/start/suchen/suchen.html

Google translator is your friend
Old May 13th 2012, 14:11
Administrator

Ooh, I will take a look at that for sure!

So a project is never finished...I haven't been happy with the power level of the car, especially when accelerating from a standstill. The car is just slower then my white '69 was, both in acceleration and top speed. I attributed the top speed both to the massive ride-height and it's resulting instability with crosswinds. (aka part car, part my fear level)...but the acceleration just doesn't make sense. I finally had a chance to look at it last night and discovered a simple issue which is possibly causing the problem. A key step when setting up new carbs/engine? Yeah, that would be determining if you can get full throttle with your pedal. Adjusted now to get to about 80% of the stops on the carbs, will need some reengineering to figure out how to get the last 20%, but I'll try it today on gravel and see how it is.

The other item I'm not fully sold on is the shifting. I tossed this in another thread, and it originally comes from a PM I wrote, but without having to retype it, I think it makes sense:

I'm using a stock bug shifter with EMPI aluminum short shift kit and then a custom carbon knob and custom carbon tube over the stock shift shaft. If I pull the knob and carbon tube off, it's 100% stock VW Beetle...even the lock out plate. I did double up the lockout springs (using two stock ones), and the shift rod is a cut-and-weld mix of stock beetle, steel tubing and Porsche shift rod.

I have a shorter-then-stock-beetle throw going forwards and backwards, but what feels like "stock" throw going side to side. It's easy to figure out where all the gears are and works quite well...most of the time. The problem is the Z-bend in the shift rod. This makes the side-to-side action somewhat vague at times, and appears to bind occasionally. A quick wiggle of the shifter in neutral sorts everything out and the gears become easy to find again, but this doesn't help much if you're on a race track! I believe I have some more R&D to do before I'm 100% happy.

My reverse (and 1st) lockout works well, but I need to build a single-spring that is heavier weight. The two springs occasionally bind and don't allow the shifter to snap up, thus the lockout "sticks on". If you're not careful it's easy to select reverse instead of second. I have learned that if I go into first, and the shifter snaps-up immediately, everything will be okay. If I don't hear the snap, I have to be super careful.

On the catching reverse front, instead of second, even when the shifter snaps up it's possible to 'rub' reverse on your way into second. I had a chance to talk to a couple of 901-Equipped Porsche owners, and the problem is found in those cars too.

Bottom line is that I have fully sorted out perfect shifting yet...I'm currently considering going back to the stock beetle shifter shaft (small diameter) and adding a "gate plate" and tower above the transmission tunnel. Imagine a Ferrari shift-gate-plate, but mounted on a 4-post tower. That should eliminate miss-shifts if it were precisely machined. Possibly ugly, but I will try and find the photo of a factory Audi rally car that used one. The other option is to go with two universal joints in the Z-bend so that when I move the shifter left and right the shaft rotates at the transmission as it should. Currently it rotates and "swings" due to the hard Z-bend. Going universals, however, would require between 2 and 4 mounts welded into the trans tunnel which could be a challenge with the body on.

So shifting is another item I'll be looking into after I get back from two-weeks away.

-Dave
Old May 13th 2012, 14:43
Administrator

Maybe this would work for you.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 13th 2012, 19:20
Administrator

Considered it, but the issue of vague shifting is not in the shifter, but rather the shift rod that runs fore-aft in the transmission tunnel. I've either got to gate the shifter, or rework the shift-rod.

-Dave
Old May 13th 2012, 19:45
Administrator

Audi S1 E2 gated shifter mod. This, as far as I know, isn't Audi factory but rather done by the current owner of the car.

-Dave
Old May 14th 2012, 23:34
Administrator

The bug@5speed shifter has an integrated shift rod hanger that drops the shift rod down to the bottom of the tunnel, in-line with the 901 transmission. I recently converted from an custom (aircooled.net article) 901 installation, and was able to use a straight universal shift rod (buggy) from the shifter to the transmission, with a welded 901 shift rod end. Haven't completed the car yet, but the shifting seems much better already.
Old May 17th 2012, 18:50
Administrator

Well, finally got the chance to try out the tires and suspension setup on gravel. Rear suspension is pretty good, though I will probably swap out to a progressive spring as I've been thinking. Front suspension on the other hand could be a little stiffer. I'm loving the weight transfer under braking, but needs to be just a hair stiffer to match the front. The gravel tires, however, are awesome! To date I've always bought used tires for RallyX, and I can totally understand the difference between a fresh set and one that has been used for a few stages. The fresh blocks are square, and cut into the gravel like a track tire sticks to tarmac. Corners where I've nailed good sliding shots on a used set of tires were simply a matter of carving around the turn like it was tarmac. Gotta love when the performance of something is so good, it becomes boring!

I did toss the GoPro into the car, but I have to be honest and say the videos are too boring to watch. While doing some testing on the forest roads I have closest to the house, the tires don't even slide around corners until you're into the triple digits. Once you do get them sliding it's not even something you could pickup on a video. I'm going to need to find some tighter corners that require pitching the car in order to make a video that's interesting!

One thing is for sure though, these tires are going to take their toll on the paintwork. The light specs you can sort-of see on the fender are stone chips. That's 30km of gravel running...yikes.

-Dave
Old May 17th 2012, 21:49

LOOKS GREAT ALL DIRTY....

would Still love to See some Video though, and I'm Sure other would too.

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually