GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 27th 2006, 02:38

porsche wheels, what tyre pressure

on my super beetle 2110 T1 motor, not much heavier than stock, if any.

running BBS 17x7 and 17x9 with 214/45 and 235/45 tyres front and rear respectively.

what pressure should i be running,

looking at tread wear over a number of miles is an expensive and timley process,

what pressure do you guys recommend
Old April 27th 2006, 22:29

uh, it should be clearly labeled on the side of the tire near the weight limits.
Old April 28th 2006, 03:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLVWGL
uh, it should be clearly labeled on the side of the tire near the weight limits.
that pressure is the maximum pressure for the tyre , regardless of what vehicle it is on.

eg a standard beetle tyre should have 18psi at the front and 26 psi at the back.

the tyres are identical and will both stipulate the same maximum operating pressure.

What i need is the pressure that the above tyres are recommended to run at for a beetle.

over inflate and the cneter will ware out, under inflate annd the edges will wear out, this is expensive and time consuming,

loads of you run similar sizes of tyres to the ones specified above, i want to know what you have found to work best.
Old April 28th 2006, 10:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1303mark
eg a standard beetle tyre should have 18psi at the front and 26 psi at the back.
My experience over all of the vehicles I have owned is I like my tires half way between the recommended pressure and the tire's maximum. I was going to look up my stock tire's max since they are in my shed still, and look up what my owner's manual says.

Since I no longer have stock tires on my 1302, I apply the percentage of the midpoint-to-max of the stock tires to the max of the current tires to generate my new figures.

I hope my explanation is clear. I will look up the figures that apply to my car when I get home tonight as an example. (I keep the results in my glove compartment.)

I think my method offers better handling.

If I drive any amount fully laden, I use the same method but I have different figures with which to use with most cars. If I drive any amount in the rain, I will drop the pressure down to the recommended.
Old April 28th 2006, 17:19

I found with the max pressure of any tires on a bug, makes the steering too light and the car tends to be bouncy. Go with the recommended 18psi maybe max upto 22psi never had problems, and the tires dont scretch when I set the pressure at the factory recommended. Just would recommend tires with a stiffer side wall. They also wear more evenly at stock tire pressure. Also note the bigger the tire with 18psi the harder the steering gets at a standstill.
Old May 1st 2006, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oasis
I will look up the figures that apply to my car
Okay, here is my method as it applies to me:

Recommended pressure* (PSI) according to owners manual:
- 16 front, 27 rear

Maximum pressure (PSI) according to stock tires:
- 36 front, 36 rear

Maximum pressure (PSI) according to current tires:
- 44 front, 51 rear

So, plugging in the numbers with my method:
- ((16 + 36) / 2) * (44 / 36) front
- ((27 + 36) / 2) * (51 / 36) rear
or
- 31.78 front, 44.63 rear

* The above is for one or two passengers. For fully laden:

Recommended pressure according to owners manual:
- 19 front, 27 rear

So, plugging in the numbers with my method:
- 33.61 front, 44.63 rear
Old May 1st 2006, 20:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1303mark
18psi at the front and 26 psi at the back.
Wait a minute, do you guys in Northern Ireland use PSI
Old May 2nd 2006, 14:58

From my uderstanding with working in a tire shop and mounting tires from 13 inch all the way up to as big as 22 inch wheels I have always used the tire manufacture psi. so if its 51 you should want to go 40 and if its 44 go 35 and if its 35 go 32psi. thats my out look on tire psi I have done it since i started and all tires with that air pressure you should get good wear. I have been running 32 in front and 35 in the rear and seems to me i get good tread wear even across the treads. I'm also running a new thing we used called Nitrogen in my tires and that makes a big diffrence as far as the pressue raising when the tires heat up, it can inflate to about 5 psi over and regular air can inflate to as much as 10 psi over. so you might want to also conside the expansion in air pressure when the tire heats up I never recommend going the max psi unless carrying a load or something. so thats my oppinion about tire pressure
Old May 4th 2006, 00:20

I run 32 PSI or 2.2 BAR in all my cars, whether it be 205/40/17 or 185/65/14. Rotations and regular air checks are important too!