GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old April 9th 2005, 16:23

Conjugal Visitation

Twenty-one days after taking The Shantung Cruiser to the shop I have been frequenting with my VWs since the Reagan administration, I was able to drive her again. First, a quick recap of what was going on.

My stock 1971 1302 was to have TopLine's MaXX strut kit, TopLine's front and rear disc brakes studded for a 5x100 bolt pattern, TopLine's stress bar, TopLine's lowered anti-sway bar kit, TopLine's rear anti-sway bar kit, TopLine's Camber-plus adjuster kit, BBS RX-II wheels for water-cooled VWs, and a set of 205/55-16 tires. The majority of the work was done the first weekend. I helped to some degree. Not only was it my first time to get involved directly, this was the first time I ever had a car modified in any way besides a stereo or taillight upgrade.

The glitch which got me started on wheel size alternatives, fiberglass fender alternatives and possibly selling the brakes I bought had nothing to do with anything by TopLine. In fact, everything installed very nicely -- loosening 34-year old parts were often the bigger culprit. Furthermore, had I sold the brakes, I would have purchased TopLine brakes again -- only in a different bolt pattern.

The glitch was the hub of the wheels was too small. There were alternatives a-plenty, but the solution we decided on trying was to have the hub-hole machined larger. (I want to say to 2 3/8" but I'm not positive.) Whoever was commissioned to do the work did such a nice job, I doubt it will ever be noticed by anyone not looking specifically for it.

There were a few other tiny adjustments necessary prior to yesterday's test drive.

My first reaction on the street was the brakes felt no different. Granted, I was only going 10 MPH leaving the lot to the traffic light which was red. I don't know what I was expecting but I was expecting something different.

After the light turned green, I continued to the next light which contained a round-about. I aggressively cornered right, then left. The response was immediate and true. I'm sure I had a canyon-sized grin.

At the next light, I turned left. My friend, the mechanic, colored my expectations by saying the big ol' tires would make The Cruiser steer like a '53 Buick without power steering. I drifted forward into the intersection before turning the wheels sharply for my left hand turn. Turning the wheel wasn't like that at all. It seemed normal to me.

I let the traffic ahead of me gain some distance. I wound The Cruiser up to 45 MPH before hitting the brakes hard -- leaving plenty of room in front of me in case I needed it. I ended up looking like even a bigger jerk than some of my previous test maneuvers. The brakes grabbed and brought me to a very quick stop. Tires didn't lock. I didn't have to fight any wandering.

I giggled. I mean I actually giggled.

I took to a couple residential streets looking for rougher terrain. I only found some manhole covers. The tires did seem to want to dominate the steering wheel here, but not uncontrollably. It was just something to remember.

I needed to get to some road where the speed limit was actually higher than 30. On the way, I passed through a school parking lot so I could drive over a couple of speed bumps. The speed bumps were taken at a slight pace, and clearly, this was the right tactic. But I didn't get the teeth-chattering reaction I was expecting.

Next on the tour-de-oasis was a stretch called Perring Parkway. From the Beltway to the city, the speed limit is 50 although there are a few traffic lights along the way. Once the city line is crossed, the speed limit drops, the number of traffic lights increase, and eventually, the road undergoes a name change.

I turned right from the last light heading out of Baltimore towards the Beltway. I got the Cruiser up to about 60 before conducting a half of a cloverleaf. It was here I got two sensations. The first was how much fun it was to hit the turn that aggressively. The second was the smell of something burning.

I headed back towards the city on Perring Parkway until I could pull over. The front tire had rubbed the fender on the hard turn.

So all in all, I was very pleased. I could leave it be and just be careful on how I drove. But, what's the point in that?

The mechanic and the owner suggested having a shim made to prop up the front enough to avoid the rub. The car is very close to being level (I didn't measure at the running boards to be exact). I'm afraid a shim will give it a bit of a nose-up stance.

Heck, that's what I was trying to get away from.

I appreciate their suggestion and will try it. They are from my father's school of thought. Let's try the inexpensive way first. There's nothing wrong with that.

My guess is I will be swapping out my current tires for a 195/50-16 size. By my calculations with conversions (1 mm = 0.03937 inches) and aspect ratios, this would give me about 6/10" less sidewall, or greater clearance.

There are two other nice things about this tire size. There are a number of choices in manufacturers with this size. This size tire is okay for wheels 5-7 inches wide. Mine is 6½" wide.

Pictures will be forthcoming. So will Phase Two ... finally.
Old April 9th 2005, 17:25

I can't wait for pictures. Maybe I will see you around.

do you have widened fenders?

That was a very nice write up as well.
Old April 9th 2005, 18:13

I remember when you got the Supa how you were just going to drive it stock. I'm glad you stepped up and have a oppurtunity to enjoy really driving such a fine vehicle.
Old April 9th 2005, 19:16

congrats. great feeling isn't it? i'm not too far removed from that. and since you are going to be a VKG'er in the next week or so, you can keep a great running blog over there of the progress with pics and whatnot.

can't wait to see the pics and hear more on the progress. have it ready to drive down to Tampa in November for Bug Jam weekend. we have a ton of stuff planned for that weekend.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 10th 2005, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa Ninja
I remember when you got the Supa how you were just going to drive it stock. I'm glad you stepped up and have a oppurtunity to enjoy really driving such a fine vehicle.
Once upon a time, I wanted a '75 1303. I had everything figured out as far as what I wanted. I ended up getting the '71 1302 instead.

Not everything planned for the 1303 would work with a 1302 -- my opinion, obviously. My family members and friends favor stock. The bombardment of their opinions actually helped me conceptualize what I wanted while I was driving it stock.

I haven't got all of the interior sorted yet -- just enough for Phase Two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarottt
do you have widened fenders?
No. As it is, the edge of the sidewall is even with the edge of the fender. It will be either the shim or slightly smaller tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
great feeling isn't it? i'm not too far removed from that. and since you are going to be a VKG'er in the next week or so, you can keep a great running blog over there of the progress with pics and whatnot.
A great feeling, and a great relief. Being a first-timer, I was beginning to question myself as being cut out for this. I'm feeling smarter now so more updates will be on the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakarottt
Maybe I will see you around.
That would be cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
have it ready to drive down to Tampa in November for Bug Jam weekend. we have a ton of stuff planned for that weekend.
Sounds great. One thing I have learned is this stuff takes time. I should think November is doable. (And I love Florida.)
Old April 19th 2005, 18:46

Here's the latest. The shop thought I was ordering the spacers, and I thought they were. I now know I am.

Now, I have to decide if I want to get H&R or Eibach spacers -- supposedly the best -- and take them to the shop so they can machine the hub to its larger size, or have custom made spacers. If I go with the latter option, I have to also decide if I want a lip on them to fit into the wheel or just a flat spacer. (The latter choice would be $80 cheaper, but if the lip serves an important purpose ...)

This process has been annoying at times, that's for sure.
Old April 19th 2005, 20:00

take a look at Motorsport Tech as well. i bought some from them for my front. they can machine to whatever you need on each side (i.e. VW hub-centric on the inside and porsche on the outside). worth comparing at least. great quality and service in my experience.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 20th 2005, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
take a look at Motorsport Tech as well. i bought some from them for my front. they can machine to whatever you need on each side (i.e. VW hub-centric on the inside and porsche on the outside). worth comparing at least. great quality and service in my experience.
Thanks, zen! I will give them a call later today (when I know the rotor's hub size and to what size the wheels' hub holes were machined).
Old April 25th 2005, 13:17

I have a slight rub on the sidewall of the driver's side front fender with the 205/55-16 tires on all four corners. Should I:

A) Go with 195/45-16 on all corners.

B) Go with 195/50-16 on the front. This tire would be the same brand and type as the existing 205/55-16 tires which would be kept on the rear. The 15.25mm (0.60") reduced sidewall will help the front. The fenders could be rolled and/or a shim could be used to re-raise the front (slightly) if necessary.

C) Go with 195/45-16 on the front and 205/55-16 in the exact same tire in the rear. Compensate the nearly 1" rake with adjustable spring plates.

D) Other.