GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old January 12th 2008, 00:17

New to the GL Scene!!

Greetings All!

PHAT73, Great looking car (the Blue one!) Gives some ideas for my new 1302 project (1971 Super Beetle) can you please tell me where you bought your front spoiler please? i've been looking for one of those.

PanelFantastic, how much was the ecotec engine and which adapter,transmission, mounts do you have to use in order to place it in the car? Seems like alot of fabrication, no? I'm new to the GL scene but I really love the look.

I am basically starting with a '71 project that is essentially bare bones, no engine BUT this has already been done:

Top Line lowering kit
So Cal Front disc brake kit
New tie rod arms
New sway bar
Prothane bushing kit
New rear drum brakes
New hard brake lines
New fuel line through tunnel
New clutch/throttle cables
Both floor pans are new
Pan was POR15'd
New master cylinder
Aluminum rims

Apart from that, the shell of the car is rust free with NO interior at all whatsoever and I need to do the wiring as well (new harness is needed).

But I have a schedule to keep to as the daughter goes off to college this summer and is taking my van, Wife has a new Buick, so i will need to get my project up and running by then or i'm walking. Any advice on engines, I am thinking of a 1776 with twin carbs and I think I am leaning towards a tranny off a '74 bug.

Cheers all!

BTW: How many of you have 1302's? Any pics please?

Last edited by siromega; January 12th 2008 at 00:40.
Old January 12th 2008, 01:45

welcome aboard

You seem to have a good starting point with your 1302. What color are you planning on going? Your engine size you want is a pretty good choice with dual carbs. I run a 1776cc on my 73 super convertible as a daily driver and its does great.

The spoiler was actually bought in a group by that some of us @ SUPERBEETLESONLY.com did a couple times. We ordered them through a company that sells KAMEI body parts but since the part was no longer in production we had to organize a certain amount of people to do a special pressing of the spoilers @ the Kamei plant in Germany. If you dont want to wait for another group buy to come around call Jon @ TOPLINE in Anaheim, California because he has a couple available from the last group buy. Heres his #(714)630-8371. I'd call as soon as possible cause he only has a few and I know they wont last long.

See ya around
Old January 15th 2008, 12:38

Brian, sir do you know where i may find the rear window louvre for the bug? I have seen some around from mexico with it and it looks great, just that the owners will NOT part for them regardless of my offer. I think they are molded plastic and all the ones i have come in black only unless painted by the owner to match the body.

And thank you for the heads-up with Jon@TopLine.
Old January 15th 2008, 17:27

Welcome!

I bought the Eco off of ebay. Paid $350 (really, really, good deal). The adapter, clutch, pressure plate from a company called Kennedy or KEP. The transmission was a stock type 1 (beetle). Yes, a LOT of fabrication and a lot of expense. The wiring and brain for the Ecotec was over $1500.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 16th 2008, 15:57

Wow, a stock tranny? Will it be able to take the power of the ecotec? Doesn't it make like 2 or 3 times the power of a stock 1600cc?
Old January 16th 2008, 19:23

The tranny was first on the list of things I wanted to upgrade but never got around to before I sold the bus. I was really gentle on it in the mean time.
Stock Eco is about 170hp.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old January 17th 2008, 02:07

That's gonna move with 170 Horses.