GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Clubs From Around The World > VolkSport Käfer Gruppe

Old September 12th 2004, 13:00

at a decision making point.... 64 vs 73 1303

Hey guys It was nice getting a chance to chat with you all last week. As most of you know i am planning a GL on my 64 vw but as i have been reading more in here i see in here and hearing Zen talk about "if i had it to do over" I still have a 73 Super 1303 sitting in Texas as well. it is not running and needs a big time restoring the 64 is a 3rd owner car and in good shape. I just looked into doing a custom front suspention on the 64 and that will cost about 1k or more. Well i was thinking that i could use that same money on the super. I have no problem cutting up the Super sence it is basicly pretty ruff right now. I am thinking about posibly selling the 64 to help fund the 1303 project.... I dont need the car to drive right now sence i have a modern car for day to day driving. Both have special styling points that i like. So i guess i just need some feed back from you guys to help me make the decision.

plans

power 13b Turbo Rotary 300 hp
Wheels 18" turbo twists
inside Sparco blue racing seats
Sparco pedels, wheel, and shifter nob

Sparco Rep Andrew @ www.pilotracegear.com Good deals on Sparco stuff
Old September 12th 2004, 22:00
Administrator

I love the Supers as a GL but I love all GL's. After seeing Panelfantastic's ride up close this weekend I think that with the right skills anything is posible. Go with the one you like best.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old September 13th 2004, 01:56

If I was you, I would use your nice 64 as a daily driver and build the Super from The Ground UP....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old September 13th 2004, 09:01

it really is such a hard call. you just have to go with what you like best in your heart, depending on use. if you were racing, it would be the super hands down. if just for fun, flip a coin or go with what you feel. no one can make the call but you.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old September 13th 2004, 13:50

Talking

Super all the way

http://members.lycos.co.uk/vdubhub/a...m%20fitted.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/vdubhub/a...9-APR-2004.jpg

They handle very well in stock form, its easy to put porsche suspension/brakes onto them (depending on age), with a few $$ they can handle like a dream.

And personally I far prefer the look of supers over 'standard' bugs, mainly because I really am a big fan of the german look... Its a slippery slope, and once you start on the GL its downhill from there....

Sell the 67, sort the super out. Having a modern you can spend the time to do it exactly how you want it!

Cya,
Sam C

PS. My car, pictured above, has taken about 5 years to get to where she is now, thats with her being on the road almost 100% of the time as she's my only car!!!

PPS. on the slippery slope, will be working out the details for my new engine soon, the 130bhp T4 isnt enough Thinking more like 180-200.... At the wheels!

PPPS. 17's should happen within the next 2 months... Got my eye on some VERY nice wheels....
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old September 13th 2004, 20:44
Superman

1303 :agree: :agree:
Old September 14th 2004, 00:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman
1303 :agree: :agree:

I'm gunna have to agree with James.
Old September 14th 2004, 01:09

Thanks for the advice guys... I am still thinking on the issue... The 64 is in much better shape and would be easier to finish. but the super has its advatages. both cars are in TX and i can bring each out for $200 each a friend in the local VW club has a truck and will pick them up for me. So I think i may bring out the 64 first and clean it up and sell it as good non rust buckets are hard to find up here and it should go for about 4k or so which would give me a good starting point for the Super GL. and sence i am not in a hurry to get the car back on the road that is the way i may go. I just love the smaller windows of the 64 and the 64 would provide a really good platform for a Sleeper. I just started a new job that will let me save up money pretty quickly over the winter so i may just save some money and see how i feel about it. Ugg either way I know the car will look awesome. GL is the only way to go. I will keep you posted on my decision. I may just bring out the 64 clean it up and see if some one offers me money for it. If they do then Super is a shoe in.

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old September 14th 2004, 02:28

Ok after just looking through all my GL photo colection and looking at the diff between the super vs other GL bugs. I have decided that i like the GL a little bit better on the 1303. So now i just have to figure out some other details....

plans

Wheels 18" turbo twists

Old September 15th 2004, 00:45
Superman

Yes, the 1303 does take to the GL very well.