GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old April 6th 2012, 03:00

WRX/Porsche Karman cabrio 1303

Hey Rich how ya gettin on,I cant wait to see this one on the road
Old April 6th 2012, 07:56

I'm on holiday at the moment. Will bring 930 size axles and cvs back with me. Hopefully the trimmer is making good progress on the interior right now as he has all the seats, dash, carpets etc for me to reassemble when I get back. Not long now!
Old April 28th 2012, 11:57

since im running the same gauges you are, i gotta ask another question, what temp sensor did you end up using for your temp gauge in your porsche gauges?
Old April 28th 2012, 13:09

I'm using the stock subaru sender. Thought I'd give it a try as it was already on the engine and it works perfectly!

Still waiting on the trimmer & design911 for the CVs..
Old May 7th 2012, 14:21

The old 944 CVs were clicking a bit and my plan was to upgrade to 930 CVs anyway. Here are the bits needed for conversion; new stub axles, I already had G50 trans drive-flanges, custom length axles (16 1/4") in 28 spline to match the CVs.

Here are the GKN CVs, I cleaned up the flanges that came with my gearbox but needed an extra pair. After getting up off the floor after being quoted £120 each from Porsche I found some cheaper options from prolinx.

CVs are being 'clocked' as this gives them the best alignment relative to each other, just like you do with a UJ.

All ready to go on the car

And fitted!

Clearance is very tight to the coil-over but is pass-able (this is worst case compression clearance). I spent ages trying to get some smaller motorsport CV boots from GKN only to find that they had stopped making the size I needed!

I've been asked so many times about my cooling system I've finally modified a schematic to show how it is all plumbed up. This system works perfectly, gets up to temperature fast and stays at a constant temperature. The other bonus is that I don't even have to bleed the system from an empty fill as it is completely self bleeding!
Old May 7th 2012, 15:23

Very nice! Where did you get the new 108mm stub axles?
You run a steel trailing arm right?
I am contemplating this mod as well for two years already or longer, but since my old (surely partly or mostly worn) old T2 CV's still hold for some weird reason, I have posponed this conversion still...knock on wood though as Richie says around 500hp, the 100mm's will break...

Love the indexing of the CV's. Never even thought of that. You are a much better mechanic then I am, trust me ;-)

Whats a good source for quality CV's Rich?
Old May 7th 2012, 15:36

I got the stub axles from appletreeauto, they are empi and I think the only type out there, seem fine and were pretty cheap for what they are, about $70 each.

Yup, I'm running steel arms. I saw the indexing thing while researching the CVs, makes perfect sense and a definite issue with full on massive travel suspension buggies but it is surely a good idea whatever the angle! Not sure about the mechanic bit Wally, seems we are both trying out new things, just in a slightly different direction!

I believe the best CVs are GKN/Lobro, I avoided the empi ones which don't have the best reputation. For the ultimate they should be polished (you can get special polishing cylinders, videos on youtube) with chromoly cages but I think for road use I should be OK.
Old May 7th 2012, 16:12

Tnx mate!
Old May 30th 2012, 13:53

After 9 weeks of chasing, my second trimmer only managed to get the door panels and roof hinge covers done... I've now bitten the bullet and gone with a very good guy I've used before, just more expensive, but I know that he will do very good work and for my deadline which is the end of June.

I also had issues with the iphone dock, it seems the docks aren't straight through electrically and Alpine have a particular way of connecting together. I tried opening it up and making more connections but it still doesn't work... Any ideas?!?
Old May 30th 2012, 17:30

No clue on I-phones in general, but the door trim combined with the color of the trim and the paint looks ace!
Old May 31st 2012, 05:13

Does look good!

Depending on the age of the HU you might be able to grab the service manual with wiring diagram from the Alpine site. How does the cable from the HU mount into the dock - is it the Apple connector? Is it perhaps the dock that is causing the issue? Long route would be to fabricate your own "dock" hard mounting the Alpine cable.

Edit: Just found this - does it help

for this type of connector

Last edited by al_kaholik; May 31st 2012 at 05:21.
Old May 31st 2012, 06:54

The head unit does have that sort of connector but the one I use is the USB to apple lead as this supports charging which the other doesn't. It works fine when the lead is plugged directly into the phone, I initially thought the dock was essentially just a right angle connector with some supports but it seems that it doesn't have full connectivity..
Old May 31st 2012, 07:11

Think you are in for another genuine apple lead (I say genuine because all others ae horse **** and die quickly - the girlfriend has an Iphone... Grrr) and some creativity You mentioned having touched the connectors in the dock - presumably after finding the Ipod pinout but to no avail?
Old May 31st 2012, 07:50

Unfortunately the Alpine cable, although connectors are identical, is unique. The standard USB to apple connectors don't work.. I've read there is an internal resistor somewhere to tell the HU what device is connected.

The dock didn't work before or after I messed with the internals. Originally the analogue audio out from the phone was diverted to a 3.5mm phono connector on the dock, what I tried was to reroute them the the other end of the dock but still no luck...

I think I might have to create my own dock which the Alpine lead & phone will fit snuggly into...
Old May 31st 2012, 10:38

I'm sure your are more than capable spare 03 ash tray anyone?